FORUMS

Our Plans With 1.10’s Player Feedback

Posted: //
Dec. 21, 2017, 5:34 p.m.

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback we have received so far on PC Update 1.10, the dev team is actively pouring over the data being generated and the posts coming in.

The most controversial change is our adjustment to progression values, cutting out the cost of purchasing a ship once the required number of modules has been met and distributing those Credits across the ship’s tech trees. We recognize to some players this has protracted the time it takes to get to a particular module, Officer Briefing, or ship they have had their eye on; and that for our more seasoned players this update has increased the costs of their module-to-module progression.

Per Product Director Mike Donatelli, “we wanted to make this progression change to incentivize players to try new modules on ships they were playing instead of hoarding credits to buy the next tier ship and having a miserable experience along the way. Our idea was to massively reduce ship cost and take that amount (minus 10%) and spread it among the modules. Yes, individual module credit costs would increase but the carrot at the end of the tech tree, the next tier ship, would be relatively cheap in comparison. We absolutely will be making additional changes to the costs, number of module unlocks, etc.

I spoke with the lead designer at Yager this very morning we agreed that additional data would be necessary to make the final adjustments. Please continue to be patient while we do the proper research.”

As with most all values and decisions in Dreadnought, these are always subject to change. We don’t set anything in stone, and particularly as a free-to-play game still in beta we are flexible. We are now evaluating what our data is saying based on your regular play and will continue to make adjustments to progression timings and costs to make sure the game remains fun and engaging.

Balance concerns is another large portion of what we have seen expressed in 1.10. These adjustments will continue to improve gameplay with each update, and we will redouble our efforts in the new year to ensure these tweaks are fully represented in our patch notes and communications to you, our playerbase.

With the upcoming holiday season our efforts to update the game in the coming weeks will be focused on more ensuring the servers remain stable and less on in-game adjustments. We look forward to an even more exciting 2018 full of updates that continue to be driven by your feedback!

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

Dec. 21, 2017, 6:43 p.m.

It's nice but if you don't act quickly a lot of angry players will stop playing

"I am the law, I am the justice!" - Captain Nemo https://puu.sh/xsWjl/cee5668700.jpg

Dec. 21, 2017, 7:02 p.m.

Updated //
Dec. 21, 2017, 7:04 p.m.

Haha - funny.

The thing is, before, you could unlock only the modules which were necessary for the ship upgrade (around 60% of the modules), buy only the modules you really wanted and end up upgrading the ship much faster (with that strategic thinking in mind). Now, however, you have to buy ALL modules with slightly cheaper cost of the ship attached to them.

I think you've definitely nailed the miserable part.

Basically, to keep the pace of upgrade at the same level as before (yep, the exact same duration of grinding), you can make it mandotary to buy all modules, but you also need to remove the cost of the ship/exp you've added to each modules, because now the grind is doubled for the strategic players (the ones who weren't complaining about grinding before because they weren't buying ALL of the modules).

Oh - and if you want to also DECREASE the grind, I suggest not only removing the ship cost you've added to the module costs, but to also to DECREASE THE ORIGINAL cost (credits and exp) of the modules.

Anyways, from what I gather, even your engineers have now left the game - haha

I really do find all of this hillarious

Dec. 21, 2017, 9:25 p.m.

Time to link my thread again proving that grinding from T1 to T5 is faster than before 1.10.

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/109014/

I do agree that at T4 and T5, the time to unlock individual module, past the time to unlock T5 has become longer. But the way I see it. The entire meta of the game currently turn around T4 and its balance.

In the "PC Game Update 1.9.5 Balancing Spotlight: Corvette Players Are People Too", the devs have said that "[...] However, when the game had been balanced originally, we were very scientific. Back then we did lots of playtesting and used Tier-IV ships and weapons as a baseline. Everything was based on numbers that followed that system. After this baseline had been established we balanced the rest of the game based on what we decided for Tier-IV. We decided to use Tier-IV for the baseline, since it’s the most used tier of ships in the game. It’s the highest Veteran tier and will never run out of style.[...] "

I think that mentallity still applies to this game as we are not supposed to breeze through T4 to reach T5. It is at T4 that we are supposed to test new tactics since all module existing for a specific class become available, develop our skills, earn and test officer briefing, etc. Past that point, T5 becomes more a prolongation of T4, allowing very intense matches for those that reach that point.

description

Click here to see my Tutorial videos for beginners and Twitch page

Dec. 22, 2017, 1:15 a.m.

Daganisoraan#4391 posted (#post-201981) said:

I think that mentallity still applies to this game as we are not supposed to breeze through T4 to reach T5. It is at T4 that we are supposed to test new tactics since all module existing for a specific class become available, develop our skills, earn and test officer briefing, etc. Past that point, T5 becomes more a prolongation of T4, allowing very intense matches for those that reach that point.

I will respectfully disagree.

The gap between T4 and T5 power is very obvious. Asides from the increased HP and shield, T5 modules are much better than T4. It's hard to do well in a T5 matches with only T4 modules. T5 vs T5 before was boring. People are too good at what they are doing so the match became stale, nobody risk anything because mistake cause death. But that's beside the point.

The point is that the current progression hinder players a lot by limiting their choices in modules locked behind both the tech tree and the purchase cost. No choices = unhappy people, it's very simple. You don't joyfully play 50-150 games on a junk ship and still be happy.

Many people don't even know what a T5 match look like nor do they care, but they aren't even happy with their stock T3 or T4 ships, so they stopped playing. What good would progression do to those players?

If they just simply remove the tech tree and let people buy whatever they want whenever they want, people will be a lot happier, and progression speed would still be the same.

"I am the law, I am the justice!" - Captain Nemo https://puu.sh/xsWjl/cee5668700.jpg

Dec. 22, 2017, 3:04 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 22, 2017, 3:06 a.m.

Captain Nemo#8277 posted (#post-202084) said:

If they just simply remove the tech tree and let people buy whatever they want whenever they want, people will be a lot happier, and progression speed would still be the same.

I'm 100% on your side for that part. It would be great if we could choose whatever module we would want in a given module type without having to go through "bad ones" or those that doesn't interest us.

My guess as to why they don't do that is because of a single progression line of modules: the corvettes Ligh Cloak, Medium Cloak and Heavy Cloak. Because lets face it, if you could get heavy cloak right from the start, why would you get the other two.

description

Click here to see my Tutorial videos for beginners and Twitch page

Dec. 22, 2017, 6:32 a.m.

Daganisoraan#4391 posted (#post-202129) said:

My guess as to why they don't do that is because of a single progression line of modules: the corvettes Ligh Cloak, Medium Cloak and Heavy Cloak. Because lets face it, if you could get heavy cloak right from the start, why would you get the other two.

Then that's the work of the balance team. Pushing the hard part onto players to avoid work is never a good move.

It's very simple to encourage people to buy and try modules: Something never get used? BUFF IT!!!!

Dec. 22, 2017, 7:02 a.m.

DN_EmptyTuxedo#3505 posted (#post-201968) said:

“we wanted to make this progression change to incentivize players to try new modules on ships they were playing instead of hoarding credits to buy the next tier ship and having a miserable experience along the way

Issue is that people didn't want to try new modules, issue is that 1/3 of those are bad , 1/3 is very bad and rest is more or less useful. In previous system i could buy useful modules and grind towards new ship , now i am forced to buy all the garbage in the tech tree to get new ship , and that garbage is twice as expensive as before.

Bad thing now happened at t4 , grind towards useful modules is much harder, longer and painfull as you are forced to play with bad , very bad or even worse modules untill you get .

So we changed short painfull grind towards useful modules and then grind towards next ship into long painfull grind towards next ship unlocking all the garbage along the way . Thanks

Dec. 22, 2017, 10:35 a.m.

I fully support the removal of the tech tree, I was happy even with the price increase as long as I knew I could skip to any part I wanted and get any build while being able to completely ignore the modules that have not been rebalanced & have no place in the current state of the game. I honestly doubt that there have been countless hours or even review of certain modules.

If you would stop providing your testers with unlimited ammounts of credits then maybe you could get feedback on how progression works in this game. I would honestly like to see somebody start from scrap & try to reach his favorite T5 ship as effectively as possible and let us know how much time it took for him to get there. To more lemon on top of the salt you should ask him to experiment new builds & go out with a build like this for example: Dreadnought loaded with Fighters,Triad Pods, AML & assault thrusters see how much fun the experiment was for him, maybe you will finally get the feedback you want as in to why some modules are underutilized if it's carved with the help of frustration in your heart & mind.

Dec. 22, 2017, 11:14 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 22, 2017, 11:16 a.m.

Wooffgang: You are right Sir!

Adding Ship Cost to Module prices slows down the progression per module so i need longer to get the loadout i want. If i am are forced to play a loadout not fitting my playstyle or with useless modules (like who uses Scattergun broadsides?) my progession again gets slower, as i don't get kills i would have got with the right modules. Do i want to grind 190k XP ( Amount needed for the last T4 Primary Module, Interceptors for example) until i have one module i like while getting torn apart because the current ship loadout is useless and i would still need to have 20-30 Battles to get my loadout at least decent? I dont think so, i'd prefer playing longer with my favourite loadout for the next tier.

I will go for getting all t3 to T4 ships because the t4+ grind feels just ridicolous. if i'm done and this is still the same i'll propably stop playing. it isn't fun to spends hours and hours with ship loadouts that aren't effective.

"Wenn ich nicht weiß, was ich mache, dann weiß es der Gegner auch nicht!"

PC | German

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.