FORUMS

PATCH 1.3.1: THE SHIPYARD UPDATE - Megathread

Posted: //
Oct. 31, 2016, 4:48 p.m.

wow... I guess I'll start this new experience with a blank slate as though I never played it before. Comments are a disappointing read

Site | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | GameMaker

Oct. 31, 2016, 5:02 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 31, 2016, 5:05 p.m.

Okay so some more feedback after playing a few matches... The score system is totally screwed. Previously as maining support tac, I could easily get in the top 3 because of the healing ribbon, now I barely make it to the top 5...

A kill: 120 points, previously 100.
A healing ribbon: 65 points, previously 100. Sure you get a 16 instead of 10 points for healing over time, but this doesn't add up.

In order to heal properly and get points in 1.1, I already had to use Heal Drone, repair pod, repair turrets and a minimum of module amper and adrenaline shot in order to get those points, now I got non of the good buffs for healing (at the moment). However, (yet again), corvettes gain pretty easy kills AND get all of the additional ribbons you get when killing. That means not just 120 for a kill, also the dmg ones, special kills etc. Not to mention that with 8 players you often have more than 1 healer, that means the other healer is taking about half the points.

So for healing it's nearly impossible to get up in the ranks. Add to this that if you're on the losing team, you're totally screwed up because there's simply no way you can make it in the top 3...

So healing, is not rewarding anymore and it's actually giving you a major setback in case you're on the losing team.

Dreadnought Support Tool | Customer Support | Dreadnought Discord | Ship Datamine - by Snib

Oct. 31, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

hari_seldon#4920 posted (#post-50968)

Did I get this right - you start with only a Destroyer, a Tac, and an Arty? How are we supposed to get rid of artillery without a trader corvette in a tier 1 only battle?

and here I thought the game name was "Dreadnought" - more like DreadNOT.

Oct. 31, 2016, 6:02 p.m.

My opinion on the progression system so far is that I hate it. Its just way too linear, locks down any real aspect of in depth customisation. I prefer it before patch where we could just buy secondary weapons and modules and apply it to our ships instead of already having a set of pre configured ones in which we have to unlock and pay for. It feels very unrewarding, needlessly grindy and boring.

Matchmaking is frustrating, its basically a snipers galore. with no vettes to take them out or dreads to tank it out the winning teams are usually the ones who spent money on hero packs and GP.

The ship in other tiers are basically the same but with slightly varying stats. Disappointing.

And I didnt know I had to spend GP to convert my ship xp to free xp. wtf is that shiz about.

Oct. 31, 2016, 7:13 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 31, 2016, 7:19 p.m.

Just played some matches and I'm already seeing a huge flaw with the new system.

Healers get next to no points compared to getting a few kills in any other ship. I can see this maybe changing in higher tiers when the ships you're healing have modules to make them survive longer, but in Tier 1 you're far better off grinding away in an offensive ship.
Also 8v8 so far is pretty much sixteen people in the middle of the map holding left click while occasionally smacking 1-4. The game needs bigger maps REALLY badly now.

Oct. 31, 2016, 7:22 p.m.

guys what were you thinking? a destroyer, tac, and arty only at the start? and the tier system is garbage if this going to be world of space ship i want my money back.

Oct. 31, 2016, 7:51 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 31, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

First impressions (after 3-4 a few hours playing mainly recruit level games in a two player squad, NOT in any way my final opinion or a complete look a the changes):

I'm in two minds about the progression system.

On one hand it gives me this "one more game!"-feeling and it does not feel too tedious at the lower ranks. Before the update I spent too much time just waiting and saving FP for the next big buy.
On the other hand it limits the customizability of your ships and fleet and that was one of the strongest points for playing Dreadnought.

Limiting tier I to three ship classes as said turns out to be rather frustrating as the combination of sniper/healer benefits a cowardly static approach to gamplay. Heroic charges without warp agains that combo tend to be brave but futile.

Maybe I failed to RTFM, but as of now hero ships somehow ignore the tier restrictions for matchmaking, causing tier I players to face tier IV hero ships every game. That would call for a quick fix as it is extremely annoying to get blown to pieces by a ship 3 tiers higher than you.
Also, I would have preferred to get access to breefings and such by leveling up my crew instead of researching them for every ship. Would add a new layer to your progress that binds your random collection of ships together (you go to battle accompanied by "your guys").

The 8v8 matches really could use bigger maps. The current ones are not necessarily optimized for the size of the matches. I personally would like to see an option to play 5v5 again. The smaller matches had a more tactical less frantic pace to them that is missing in the current furball-like games.

To compromise is to err.

Oct. 31, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

while I love the new ships and ideas for the game, Im finding the layout very complicated to be honest, And contracts are still not showing up, Also with teams being larger the maps seam way to small with no room to move it feels a little cramped to me. Saying that ive only played for an hour or so, Im thinking i might have to do a fresh install to get everything working again, Including getting all my fp and gp points back as i purchased the pack with everything. Will give streaming a go this weekend and try to figure the changes out...GG MORF17

Oct. 31, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 31, 2016, 8:08 p.m.

xerolegacy#8101 posted (#post-50991)

My opinion on the progression system so far is that I hate it. Its just way too linear, locks down any real aspect of in depth customisation. I prefer it before patch where we could just buy secondary weapons and modules and apply it to our ships instead of already having a set of pre configured ones in which we have to unlock and pay for. It feels very unrewarding, needlessly grindy and boring.

Matchmaking is frustrating, its basically a snipers galore. with no vettes to take them out or dreads to tank it out the winning teams are usually the ones who spent money on hero packs and GP.

The ship in other tiers are basically the same but with slightly varying stats. Disappointing.

And I didnt know I had to spend GP to convert my ship xp to free xp. wtf is that shiz about.

Amen to the above.

I am btw starting to think that removing the corvette from T1 was an attempt to "fix" new players complaining about corvettes in the previous version - instead of maybe giving them some better tools / guidance on how to deal with them. T1 matches are too static with current starter package. On top of that T1 gets often matched up vs T4 ships.

I remember getting into the game first time before this patch and it felt a lot better than it does now. More to explore, customizable stuff, every ship felt different and original - even with same mods available. Currently.... "come in, have some nice Reskin Copy-Pasta!".

I generally like the idea of a skill tree and non linear progression - but what we have is... "very unrewarding, needlessly grindy and boring" - and on top of that repetitive.

I understand that there needs to be a system in place that incentivizes monetization - I fear the current attempt has made the game less likeable though.

Oct. 31, 2016, 8:08 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 31, 2016, 8:27 p.m.

I mean the aspect of the customisation of your own capital ships was the main reason I signed for the CB and preferred DN to FS in the first place. I really hate linear progression systems. It just feels to restrictive to me. Though to revert back to buying weapons and modules from the market would mean they would have to get sorted into the tiers as well to prevent balancing issues and to work with the tier system in general. unless they somehow find a middle ground.

The maintenance thing IMHO just needs to go, if they're not removing it then atleast reduce the costs of maintenance to half of what they are atm. and make repairs to ships instant once the transaction is made.

And yeah as already stated elsewhere. tier 4 hero ships just 1/2 shotting tier 1s. The tier 4 artillery cruisers take like 60% of your health in like 1 hit.

Edit: On second thought while I hate the linear design of the progression tree. It wouldn't be that bad if they just did modules and left the weapons in the market. Or instead of giving weapons and modules replace it with passive bonuses or stuff to upgrade your crew. If they do that while maintaining the pre patch market that would add even more customisability than before. Just my thoughts.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.