FORUMS

PATCH 1.3.1: THE SHIPYARD UPDATE - Megathread

Posted: //
Oct. 31, 2016, 8:28 p.m.

well, my feedback in a nutshell: worse than expected, and I thought I was already expecting the worst. surprised you held back on the premium ammo but I suppose there's room for that in future updates. gl hf bye

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

Oct. 31, 2016, 8:56 p.m.

So you have dumped the already fine progression system (which might have been flawed, but it could have at least served as a prototype for something new and original) in favour of an already despised, grindy, pay-to-progress tiered progression system. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the effort required to design a game (a friend and I are working on one right now) but I cannot for the life of me understand why you chose this progression system. This game felt original, it had something going for it, it didn't feel too grindy, and it almost pulled me away from Fractured Space.

This 'Progression 2.0' system feels like a downgrade, a backward step. Fractured Space tried it and failed so they moved on. I can only hope you guys make the same decision, because we don't need another Wargamming.Net, one is enough.

Oct. 31, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

I like the graphical//physical implementation of the tech trees per ship.

I dislike the 'forced to play certain ships types to unlock COMPLETELY DIFFERENT shiptypes.

Oct. 31, 2016, 9:07 p.m.

Pros:
Frame Rate and Lag seem to be better
I like the research system

Cons:
The font above the ships in reticule is still too slim and the color for it poorly chosen... So It's still not readable at 1080p...
...Still don't know who's talking, someone sais something you still have to hover over each ship to match the name in the chat box to a ship, it's worst now with 8vs8 to see who spoke
Sill hard to find the ship someone else flags as target if it's not in your face already
8 vs 8 is way too crowded and the sense of "team" is totally lost with that many players
The chat used for issuing order is still annoying. you have to hit enter to see what was said.

Needed features:
I would like keyboard alternative for the f + mouse swipe for talking. Something old school wing commander like, f pops the menu wheel, tyughjbnm keys for choosing the message
I would like to know who's talking, have an aura around the ship or an icon like the attack target icon does and maybe flash the ship in the radar.
I want a more obvious "ship is outside fov indicators"
I want a system similar to who killed who for the chat and an ontion to set the duration for it as well as a same duration option for the kill text...
Level Indicator instead or WITH the captain ribbon PLEASE, In the scoreboard, in the reticule ship details and in the pre-game and post-game screens, it's hard to tell exactly who you are playing against.

Bugs:
X does nothing in the pre-game screen
TAB does not pop up the scoreboard in the postgame screen

Site | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | GameMaker

Oct. 31, 2016, 9:22 p.m.

first match in the new system and get 4 Tier 4 on the opposite team which my shot have little or no effect while 1 to 2 shots and i am dead , this is one of the reasons i walked away from the beta was getting stomped by players 3 times my level from the get go before you say is Closed beta that doesn't fix it doesn't make me want to play if my progression goes to because i cant compete with the super meta tier ships i cant get yet . THAT'S the issue . and a big one this experience makes me not put any time in where its pointless playing because you'll never advance . i got stuck during the last version where i with my time playing i could only get to a point then couldn't make enough to get the next level of ships to even compete .

on a even playing field the game works when its not its just a seal clubbing expedition and i am the seal

Oct. 31, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 1, 2016, 12:07 a.m.

The Maintenance System does not make much sense to me. While it makes reality sense and is cool on paper, what it translates to in my mind is punishing people for playing poorly or taking risks that don't pay off. Punishment is not something that makes people want to play more, rather, rewarding people for doing well gives people a goal to work towards, and a satisfaction feeling.

EDIT:
And now that I've played a few games, I must say that I dislike how little loadout customization is available. I understand that more options unlock as I spend xp points and unlock tier 2-5 ships, but I don't want to grind an artillery cruiser to get a dreadnought, which then is lacking both offensively and defensively, until I slog through enough games (at the bottom of the scoreboard because I can't tank and I can't hit.) to upgrade that to the point of effectiveness. It seems that there is now MORE linear progression of power than before, where a player is better simply because they have researched qualitatively better weapons and abilities, rather than researching different weapons and abilities or flying their ship more effectively.

If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend a system where each ship tier has a number of 'points' available to it. Say 5 points for tier 1, 10 for tier 2, so on. These points could be spent on different loadouts, which are unlocked through the captain exp system, like the previous patch, but more condensed for ease of access. A player can put x point in their primary guns, choosing a specific gun type that only costs x points, y points into their abilities, choosing up to four abilities that together cost y points again, and z points into crew loadouts for similar results.

Make player income necessary to unlock new ships, again like the old system, but make all ships available no matter your level, so that new players can try out the specialized ship types.

Nov. 1, 2016, 12:08 a.m.

Wotalooza#3310 posted (#post-51035)

The Maintenance System does not make much sense to me. While it makes reality sense and is cool on paper, what it translates to in my mind is punishing people for playing poorly or taking risks that don't pay off. Punishment is not something that makes people want to play more, rather, rewarding people for doing well gives people a goal to work towards, and a satisfaction feeling.

Yep, this is basically a big FU imo as well... especially since, I dunno if still true, you can hide and do nothing and be #1 on the your team's scoreboard

Site | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | GameMaker

Nov. 1, 2016, 2:20 a.m.

Logged in... Looked around... Realized that T1-2 only have 9 ships. Clicked a T2 Corvette. Surprised that it only has a handful of modules. Looked inside research tree of the other T2 ships. Wow...

I have no idea that this update will limit a new player so much. The super healer Koschei, stalwart dreadnought Jutland and swift destroyer Vindicta locked in T4 of each manufacturer tree, not to mention very limited way to reach certain modules for every ships.

Like someone said before me, the freedom of customization was what brought me to Dreadnought. It simply reminded me of Mechwarrior Online, which i still love so much (though i am hoping for more weapons and modules...there are so many mechs already). Now it feels like DN is on its way to become another World of Tanks game.

Well, it is good that MWO still around. I'll just juggle between DN and MWO, maybe.... 15-85 in favor to MWO.

Anyone sells -How to Corvette/Destroyer for Dummies-??

Nov. 1, 2016, 2:44 a.m.

This patch is the worst gameplay experience I've ever had. Tier 1 Recruit fleets get matched against Tier 4 Veteran/Legendary and the T1 ships are such pieces of trash they can't even damage a T4 at a rate much higher than its hull autorepair. The tech tree is grinding to buy a bunch of junk modules I don't want on a trash ship I don't want to I can eventually get to "research" the next tree up trash ship I don't want and grind through that to maybe eventually tree over to the nerfed trash copy of a ship I might want... but I don't really have the patience to waste that much of my life losing 25:1 matches because my gutless trash ship can't do anything except die in one shot. It can't even mount secondary batteries or even the most basic crew orders, either.

It's a shame because I was really having a blast playing this last week. Mostly because I could play with ships that weren't artificially pieces of junk for the purpose of forcing grind.

Good luck trying to retain any players, Greybox. I don't think you really deserve that luck after this abomination of a patch, but I don't like to wish ill on anyone.

Nov. 1, 2016, 3:33 a.m.

SolisObscuri#9939 posted (#post-51197)

This patch is the worst gameplay experience I've ever had. Tier 1 Recruit fleets get matched against Tier 4 Veteran/Legendary and the T1 ships are such pieces of trash they can't even damage a T4 at a rate much higher than its hull autorepair. The tech tree is grinding to buy a bunch of junk modules I don't want on a trash ship I don't want to I can eventually get to "research" the next tree up trash ship I don't want and grind through that to maybe eventually tree over to the nerfed trash copy of a ship I might want... but I don't really have the patience to waste that much of my life losing 25:1 matches because my gutless trash ship can't do anything except die in one shot. It can't even mount secondary batteries or even the most basic crew orders, either.

It's a shame because I was really having a blast playing this last week. Mostly because I could play with ships that weren't artificially pieces of junk for the purpose of forcing grind.

Good luck trying to retain any players, Greybox. I don't think you really deserve that luck after this abomination of a patch, but I don't like to wish ill on anyone.

-p-

Feel a few things should be mentioned here.

1. DN_ player has confirmed the T4 ships being in the recruit (T1-T2) matchmaking is a bug, and will be fixed.

2. No ship has Hull autorepair. if you take damage, you don't get repaired for 5? 10? seconds. What you may be seeing is Tac Cruiser healing.

3. You do not need to buy junk modules on the trash ships. Just research them. Save your credits for buying the next tier ship or modules you do want. Credits are FAR harder to come by. Ship XP is easy.

4. Im with you on the secondaries.. No idea why we can't have our secondary weapons on all ships... as for basic crew orders (I assume you mean officer briefings?).. the basic ones of those were simple -10% CDs, or -5% dmg taken. They rebalanced weaponry and CDs (when you upgrade a module it reduces the CD by a signifcant amount in most cases)... so Im kinda glad they removed the 'basic' Briefings. Didnt help anything.

In general I'm with you tho on the whole.. can't play the ship class/type I want to play without grinding other ships I hate (whether they are bad or I am bad with them, same effect.)

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.