FORUMS

PATCH 1.3.1: THE SHIPYARD UPDATE - Megathread

Posted: //
Nov. 1, 2016, 2:50 p.m.

MrDerpington#2970 posted (#post-51619)

Ship progression feels a little odd, but maybe it's because we don't know exact stats for each ship, all we have are the bars.

We actually have, but not in the game. Check this (https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/patch-131-shipyard-update/) news post and scroll down there is a link to a spreadsheet with most stats, some are still missing.

Recruit Engineer

Nov. 1, 2016, 4:21 p.m.

Odin#5262 posted (#post-51586)

So while i see plenty of people who wrote here,hate the progression system,i do actually enjoy it.
I like the new unlocking system,and i am eager to get to tier 4/5 to see all the possibilities.
The ui and the game overall is much more polished than before,all the small details count.
I like where this is going,cause yes it feels a bit diffrent right now with higher speeds at early tiers,but the feel of Dreadnought we all loved is in higher tiers as i get it,lower speeds,more tactical.
Its just easier to play at the start and i get why this is done,remember all the new players before,trying to figure out how to move,how to use secondaries etc,now you will get all those after u play a bit,and u will know exactly how to use em.Keep up the good work in my opinion.
My only disadvantage right now is a drop on fps,while the benchmark shows steady 57,in game with fraps i see 32+.

so whats the check you get like?i mean i could use a job.

Nov. 1, 2016, 4:25 p.m.

After watching few conversations at discord which most of them doesn't help improve/fix anything I have some.

1. Fleet system in my opinion should be left as it is with division to tiers. Only changes I would make is sqad sizes.
    - Recruit Fleet - leave as it is (up to 3 pilots)
    - Veteran Fleet - up to 5 pilots
    - Legendary Fleet - up to 8 pilots
    Reason behind it is that most new players in time will know more other people which they wan't to fly with. On the other hand, those more experienced that have higher tier ships wan't to train more advanced tactics and have better control over battlefield.

2. Fleet maintance - change its trigger condition from lost battle to unfullfilled contract.

3. Contracts. I don't know if it's just me, but in most cases I found contract completed after battle. I almost always forgot to look there. To make it mean something I would make few changes:
    - Add to every contract slot "Accept" button
    - Give contracts different rewards in credits and/or free XP depending on what fleet (Recruit/Vet/Legend) is completed
    - After contract acceptance by player it has to fullfy it's conditions in nearest match
    - If contract conditions wasn't met: Maintaince mode + other bad things smile
    This way if player take the "job" he/she would knew the risk and cost of failure. Contracts won't be something that you don't have to look if they will offer something worth risk.

4. Manufacturers and research. Here the list of changes is big:
    - From every manufacturer unlock every type ship tier 1 (corvette, destroyer, tac, arty and dreadnought)
    - From this 15 ships in total let new players choose just 2 for free
    - Rest of T-1 to T-5 ships must be researched and bought
    - To buy next ship tier you must research all modules this ship class can use at current tier level.
    - Modules for particular ship class and tier level shouldn't have dependiencies. I should choose which one I wan't research and/or buy first and what last.
    - Officer briefings should be accessible from T-3 ships and player level 10. This way every 10 levels (if max lvl is 50) we get 5 reasons more to play
    - Every next tier of ship class gets small (5 or 10%) bonus to health, speed, energy, health regeneration and mayby fire power than T-1 counterpart. So T-3 would be at least 15 or 30% more powerful than T-1. At least because if player has lvl 10 it can buy and use first officer briefings

This is how I would see next "Progression 2.0+". I know that not everybody aggree with me, but it's just only idea, not hard written rules.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Nov. 1, 2016, 5:37 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 1, 2016, 5:39 p.m.

ehh just remove maintenance altogether, from all the posts I've seen nobody even wants it.

And since all ships are unlocked via tech trees what is the point in having a market now.

Nov. 1, 2016, 5:45 p.m.

After a couple of hours of play here's my bit of feedback.

1. Obviously hot fix the T4 hero ships getting into recruit battles asap!
  2. Open more module options for T3 ships, and make the research paths a bit less linear.
  3. Either reduce credit costs of T3 ships and modules, or increase coin rewards. The grind to simply buy a base T3 is a bit too much.
  4. Come up with a better matchmaker so that you don't have to limit the squad size down to just 3. Premades should have a higher chance of fighting other premades and vise versa.
  5. Possibly bring down the potency of T1 and T2 arties. Without effective corvettes or heavy range modules they're pretty untouchable. And the T2 corvette hasn't proved effective enough yet to affect them.
  6. Redo or remove the maintenance system. As it currently stands one loss can significantly slow progression. You've already missed a +50% exp/credit bonus, and if you lost its usually because you or your team did horribly and have thus earned much less by games end. Shouldn't have to be penalized on top of that. There should only be incentive to win, not punishment for losing.
    I'm overall disappointed that in the quest for a better progression system you destroyed some of the most unique aspects of your game. Before I was never pigeon holed into a certain role because that ship was my most researched or best equipped, or highest tier. We were free to change roles with the needs of our team without feeling penalized at all. Now I'm reluctant to change roles because I want exp with a certain ship line, or my other ships are horribly under equiped. Right now everything seems far too linear to promote adaptive game play.

Nov. 1, 2016, 5:53 p.m.

Aside from all the other stated issues 8 v 8 is too much? IMO its too much for these maps at least.. Way more chaotic than tactical with the amount of players per match.

Nov. 1, 2016, 6:11 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 1, 2016, 6:18 p.m.

Thumbs down, sorry.

• Tier progression limits my gameplay options, takes away fun. This appllies to both ships and modules.
  • Grind galore: 50.000 Credits for ONE tier 3 ship?
  • What is the goal of having a this big number of ships, to just be again back to the "old" 15 ships on tier 5 later, anyways?
  • Many gameplay bugs are still not fixed?
  • 8v8 does not provide for more fun at all. It is rather such that good teams have it even easier to stomp weak ones, just by being able to coordinate larger numbers. I will reserve judgement, though, until a better variety of ships/modules will appear. Imagine a stampede of 8 Corvettes...

The team I was playing with tonight really tried hard, but everyone felt frustrated. Maybe it is because after being spoiled with all that choice it is hard to restart with zero. However, for me, the most fun part was to switch and adapt ship classes and modules and have lots of room for experimentation.

Also while I don´t mind playing higher tier players in general, with them having a broader choice of ships and modules, I feel quite annoyed when they win just because their module of the same type does more damage or activates twice as often. This is unfair and has nothing to do with skill anymore. I know, old school games had a level-up system, but I don´t think anybody wants to go back in time for this.

Nov. 1, 2016, 6:56 p.m.

SUGGESTIONS

As someone that works 8-10 hours a day (making games actually), and games maybe another 4 hours each day. I really don't want to grind for weeks playing Artillery Cruisers when what I really want is access to the INVICTUS Dreadnought and a way to equip with what I want. Those games playing a ship I don't enjoy are not a fun experience.

You want to make money and I WANT TO PAY YOU! So give me a way to skip past the grind of ships I am not interested in. Hero ships are nice, but I want customizable ships.

New Players also will be very confused by the limited selection of ship types. If I had NOT played before this patch and you told me this was a game where I could drive big capital ships. This new player experience does not deliver on that. The lack of a starter dreadnought is very strange, as the core concept of the game is not demonstrated.

For me initially the ability to fire a Nuke early, and Broadsides were too of the coolest things that sold me on this game. Those two things seem to be buried deep into the game now.

Nov. 1, 2016, 7 p.m.

Hi Boys and Girls,

i still like the game, before 2.0 i loved it.

When i first saw Dreadnought i felt that there could be an amazing end-game motivation. Get 4 good buddies, discuss team strategies, sort out the ship classes and loadouts for our squad and fight 5 other good players in premade costum matches. Just competitive gameplay and epic battles.

With the recent changes i think i can say goodbye to these hopes. Everybody will be grinding forever. I can hear the people saying: "I dont have that ship yet. I have not researched, bought this modules. I dont want to play this, because im farming on these and those first.

The rest has been said many times in here or on discord already....
8v8 feels chaotic - to often i have another ship to close to the ship that needs healing and my green beam targets the wrong one.....meh

And why should i feel love for a disabled version of the Zmey, Gora, Koshei etc. Its just annoying to fly half-baked battleships. Those T1 - 3 ships are just steps i have to take before i can fly a real ship again.....not more.

Sorry and best regards
Micro

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.”

Nov. 1, 2016, 7:09 p.m.

I'm Sorry I can't support this game. Everything is Stripped down. I couldn't even finish my first game cause I was so Disgusted. It was fun while it lasted. Peace.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.