FORUMS

My Feedback to 1.10 Progression

Posted: //
Jan. 4, 2018, 5:24 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 4, 2018, 5:29 a.m.

I know I'm a little late with feedback for that update^^ When this update came out I noticed that some of the changes is something I've suggested long time ago. Unfortunately its not really what I've expected. I suggested to get rid of all the "lines" in the tech tree / the tree in general, but I'm also ok with the simplified system we have now. It could still need some changes though. I've also suggested to change the progression to "Unlock X modules to get the next ship". I still think thats great and I'm happy that its in this game.

But why BUY modules to unlock the next tier, and why are ships for free now. You basicly made the game feel more grindier, because in order to adjust the free ships, you had to increase prices for Modules. That means we have to grind even longer when we get a new ship, not to get to the next tier, but to get a decent loadout. It sometimes feels punishing to get to a new tier.

Suggestion: Add ship cost again. Adjust module cost accordingly; without overdoing it again or increase rewards accordingly

Also get rid of module tree or simplify it more.

Example Tier 4 Oberon Dreadnought. You start with Secondarys, Broadsides, Vulture Missiles, Tractor Beam, Armor Booster and ... Officer Briefings wich is another story.

Thats what you get for Free on this ship, but also where you start in the tree. You HAVE to unlock upgrades to get to the other modules. Instead, let us decide what to unlock next. For example. Instead of forcing the player to unlock the tier 4 version for the broadside, let us go directly to tier 4 Nuke

so its not

----------------------- →→→ Fighter →→ Bomber →→ Interceptor

---------------------- ↑↑↑

Broadside1 →→ Broadside 1 Upgrade →→ Broadside 2

---------------------- ↓↓↓

----------------------- →→→ Nuke1 →→ Nuke 2 →→ Nuke 3

and so on

but

Fighter →→ Bomber →→ Interceptor

Broadside1 →→ Broadside 1 Upgrade →→ Broadside 2 (plasma) →→ Broadside3 (ballistic)

Nuke1 (normal nuke) →→ Nuke2 (multi nuke) →→ Nuke3 (tartarus)

Missile1 (Vulture) →→ Missile 2 (flechette) →→ Missle3 (light)

Torpedo1 →→ Torpedo2

and so on

Blue Vengeance - Deutscher Multigaming Casual Clan

Jan. 4, 2018, 8:46 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 4, 2018, 8:47 a.m.

I mostly agree, the tree needs to be more dynamic. Give players the choice to unlock whatever they want.

As it is now, Jutland tree is like this.

https://imgur.com/z3V3vRm

It should look like this

https://imgur.com/z3V3vRm

Jan. 4, 2018, 10:10 a.m.

Understandably, the developer/publisher is trying to encourage more module unlocks for at least two reasons; the better reason is to incentivize players to try more modules to increase variety of play; the other reason is to cause players to spend more Space Credits to unlock modules rather than just research modules and bypass purchasing them - this is to incentivize players to buy Greybox Points to turn into Space Credits.

I don't really have a problem with either of these, but my opinion is that the redistribution of research and purchase cost from the previous large amount to directly research and purchase the next tier ship to the modules is a bad idea, as while it may not increase the grind to the next tier ship, it does increase the grind to the next module(s); the important thing is for the developer/publisher to realize that overall player psychology prefers to play with a ship with the modules he/she wants for longer period of time (during the final grinding to accumulate XP and Space Credits to unlock the next ship) instead of making a bunch of redistributed, increased grinds and instantly unlocking the next ship when he/she finally gets the modules he/she wants. Sure, one can still use those unlocked previous tier modules on the new ship, but humans aren't always completely logical.

Jan. 4, 2018, 11:04 a.m.

I agree with most of whats been said above. Simply put, the devs need to change the module tree system so that players can unlock the modules they want and use them to grind to the next ship. As it currently stands players often don't get the modules they want until they have almost already unlocked the next tier ship, at which point they won't have much time to actually play with these new modules.

Jan. 4, 2018, 4:29 p.m.

Panzervcv#9621 posted (#post-204696) said:

I agree with most of whats been said above. Simply put, the devs need to change the module tree system so that players can unlock the modules they want and use them to grind to the next ship. As it currently stands players often don't get the modules they want until they have almost already unlocked the next tier ship, at which point they won't have much time to actually play with these new modules.

pretty much couldn't have said it better myself

Jan. 4, 2018, 9:08 p.m.

I must agree it is really frustrating to grind a dozen battles just to unlock and buy a module I am already certain I will not use and have no interest in. It is made far worse by having to unlock the same undesirable module on multiple ships. There isn't much of a logical progression from bad or weak modules to useful or more powerful ones.

Jan. 5, 2018, 9:48 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 5, 2018, 10:37 a.m.

It's a mess: on my Jutland i have - researched and equiped 4 modules that i will use all the way till Monarch - that is it - i am done and happy; but here comes the 1.10 fun - then i have 4 more just researched - so i need 9 to research and buy that means 9 to research and 13 more altogether to buy (=equip): Ignoring all the grind that whatever people are saying still longer than the old one by ~20% I still can't just research and buy modules - no, i have to constantly do the math (how many do i have researched? are we there yet? how about my other 10 ships?(repeat that rubbish for each one of them)) because i don't need or want to buy (=equip) useless modules - so i will have to just research (dont you dare buying them!) all the modules needed to unlock t5 (17-4=13) and then start buying all 17 en masse after which my ship will turn into a horrible mess of unusable modules and i will no longer touch it. I might be not getting it but why on earth would you autoequip a module after buying it? It's a horrible mechanics - I can't even go back to , say, the previous module i started the ship with. I don't even want to track my other ship' modules progress it is turning into a job and not a game if one wants to have specific modules equipped(you might be lucky if they are in the end of the tree and modules you get in between are fine, but if not, well, have fun with that). edit: see chucky's correction below

Jan. 5, 2018, 10:21 a.m.

You know that you can switch modules, right, Cailada? You cant switch from a higher Tier module to its lower tier counterpart, but besides that, you can always switch mosules in the hangar.

Join the official Dreadnought Discord server for quick questions and tips via discord.gg/dreadnought !

Jan. 5, 2018, 10:32 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 5, 2018, 10:34 a.m.

Thanks chucky! - just figured it out with your help - somehow before i almost always ended upgrading the same weapon/module to the higher version so it never popped up in hangar after 6 months of casual beta? - i figured i was locked in to whatever i bought without going back

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.