FORUMS

Teamplay versus playerbase

Posted: //
Jan. 28, 2018, 2:46 a.m.

Hey folks! There has been some talking about squads on the DN discord recently. Surprisingly I was not the only one having a problem with players forming squads in veteran-fleet. I do get the point of squadding up and having fun with friends, dont get me wrong. But it becomes a problem when experienced players do so, stomping through new players and those who prefer playing solo. I guess this would not be such a big problem if there were more people playing this game, but as it is right now, many new players will face those squads without a glimpse of a chance. It's not just squads, it's also the (bad) matchmaking combined with the number of active players, resulting in 4-6 anax of the belt guys against 0-x players owning T4 ships in veteran, wich again results in a very boring and one-sided match. And where do matches like that lead to? I'ld say it will lead to many new players leaving this game long before they even get to know the interesting part (Tier 4 modules, officer briefings, solid builds) of this game.

The point of this thread is to ask for some understanding to those squad forming players. Stomping new players might result in getting some nice chunks of exp and credits on the first look, but it might also kill this game on the long run.

Join the official Dreadnought Discord server for quick questions and tips via discord.gg/dreadnought !

Jan. 28, 2018, 3:12 a.m.

You will eventually get to that same point, I'd like to see you grindin those t4 for t5

One option would be to seperate T4 from T3, but since playerbase is how it is currently, MM would take longer making the ques for both T3 and T4 que longer.

Theres prob more people leaving in recruit than in veteran due to cough vettes cough and from transition to t3 fighting against t4s

Jan. 28, 2018, 3:28 a.m.

Tiers and fleets are a topic on its own. Fighting a fully equipped T4 that has acces to all OBs while flying a stock T3 is not fun, but having four guys of that type in the enemy team again and again is even more discouraging. I do know that fleets and tiers are not perfect yet, but thats not what i want to focus on in this thread. As long as there are this few players, squads do have a major impact on the playerbase. Maybe i feel this to be way worse than it actually is, since no one but the devs has acces to real numbers concerning the amount of active players.

Join the official Dreadnought Discord server for quick questions and tips via discord.gg/dreadnought !

Jan. 28, 2018, 3:29 a.m.

There should be a mode for solo players and a mode for squads to easily solve this. I have the affinity to play in a team always, cause I don't see the point when playing solo. This game has been created for team play. I squad up with whoever comes first. Sometimes it turns to be other level 50 players just because a large part of my friends list has already made it there. I have sent friend requests to hundreds of people who have lost the way you described above, just because I have meant to get them in a squad and help them understand and like the game. The majority prefers to play solo and ends up in the way you did.

Vae Victis

Jan. 28, 2018, 7:55 a.m.

As someone who dose not squad with people all that often, I can say, the problem is not the squads. I've been on teams with out squads an won. It's about who has what. MM feels non exsistant dew to a small player base given time of day etc. Also OB's play a massive part in how good a ship is. It's not all down to squads, it's down to there being no incentive to play legendary and let new players level.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

Jan. 28, 2018, 8:20 a.m.

I disagree. And I think you didnt get the point of what I am concerned about. Experience, skill and teamplay do matter a lot more than "who has what". However, the problem I am trying to highlight is experienced players, who have the (almost) best-possible gear for veteran squadding up facerolling through the matches because there are no other squads/as much experienced players online at the same time.

Jan. 28, 2018, 9:22 a.m.

Kurt_Hustle#0982 posted (#post-207359) said:

I disagree. And I think you didnt get the point of what I am concerned about. Experience, skill and teamplay do matter a lot more than "who has what". However, the problem I am trying to highlight is experienced players, who have the (almost) best-possible gear for veteran squadding up facerolling through the matches because there are no other squads/as much experienced players online at the same time.

It's not, what ships you have with the right modules and OB's matter more than a squad. To see what i man, go play Recruit, its pure skill in there. You can't cheese your way to a win with a Build with OB's that makes the ship way more better than a ship with the same build minus the OB's. It's quite simple the gear will win out over skill in Veteran. we all know it. a vidicator running ram with out ER, or NE will not beable to get into position to ram and end up dead way before they get to there target, regardless of how skilled the pilot is. Squads are not the problem, the apparent lack of population/the way progression is handled in the game is the problem.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Jan. 28, 2018, 9:32 a.m.

Unfortunately, this has been an issue since Alpha(even before the shipyard/tiers system was added).. and.. honestly.. nobody has really come up with a 'good' solution for it.

I suppose the catch-22 here is that the game is 'balanced' to the point where players who have more skill, coordination, and overall experience perform better than those who have less. (I assure you, 'gear' has FAR less of an impact than is easily and often presumed.)

So.. what is the solution? Reduce the gameplay to the point where a disorganized team of completely fresh player will do just as good as a team of players who have invested months in the game?

I think part of the idea behind the tiers(aside from being a heavy-handed and suboptimal source of income) was to help get the more experienced players into their own bracket of matchmaking. Unfortunately, the.. requirements.. to reach that bracket appears to be killing off too much of the playerbase before it becomes sustainable. Thus, the 'big sharks' are forced to play in the more shallow waters.

Jan. 28, 2018, 10:07 a.m.

Belial, you are still missing the point of this thread. The problems you mention do exist, but are not meant to be discussed here. One thought of a solution is to give 3- or 4-man squads made of Anax of the belt players (or make it "accounts that have unlocked xy T4ships and/or xy OBs") in veteran 4 bots instead of players to their team by the matchmaker. Or make the MM work harder against squads. Does not sound fair, but I'm afraid even then, those squads might still win against a bunch of randoms. This does not seem perfect at all, but if this was easy to answer, the problem wouldnt exist.

Jan. 28, 2018, 12:01 p.m.

So basicly you want squads gone because you get beaten by squads. The MM is supposed to match squads with squads. Maybe ask on your team next time if anyone is in a squad and see what happens.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.