FORUMS

Reverse Turning Controls

Posted: //
March 19, 2018, 1:47 p.m.

Updated //
March 19, 2018, 1:54 p.m.

Could we get an option to reverse turning directions when going backwards? Currently the turn controls seem to exclusively dictate the direction the front of the ship turns, which is fine and dandy when moving forward. However, as not having ever backed up a space battleship in real life, I am used to controlling turning directions as I would with a car; meaning that I turn the wheel in the direction I want to move towards. With the current control scheme, I am constantly turning into the opposite direction I want to go.

Please add this option to the list of Quality of Life changes, like being able to bind controls to additional mouse buttons and the wheel.

March 19, 2018, 3:04 p.m.

Updated //
March 19, 2018, 3:04 p.m.

PM me (forum feature) if you want me to teach you how to bind controls to additional mouse buttons and the scroll-wheel; I've already helped another player, Oberon, out with that.

March 19, 2018, 5:50 p.m.

Are you talking about 3rd party software that assigns keyboard keys to the mouse, or editing an .ini file?

March 19, 2018, 6:27 p.m.

Only if I can get tank controls for my space battleships! (Q/A for portside fore and aft thruster intensity; E/D for Starboard fore and aft; W/S for pitching down and up.)

Seriously though, I do think your request would be a good quality of life option to have before official 'launch'.

March 19, 2018, 6:35 p.m.

Updated //
March 20, 2018, 9:22 a.m.

Editing an .ini file.

March 20, 2018, 3:39 a.m.

Updated //
March 20, 2018, 3:49 a.m.

Lando Calrissian#2323 posted (#post-214868) said:

Editing a .ini file.

How would changig a few key bindings make this work? You need to conditionally invert the yaw axis, based on which direction the ship is moving - have you even read the original post?

Btw I WANT THIS BADLY too, it drives me nuts, I've died countless times because my ship in reverse keeps turning in the wrong direction. Implementing reverse controls like this was a stupid idea to begin with, it's extremely counter-intuitive to everyone who has ever driven a car in their life. But they decided to go full ret4rd, by not even adding a checkbox to the options menu that can invert yaw axis when the ship is reversing... Bad bad devs.

But seriously, A LOT of people coming from a lot of other games (that have this implemented correctly) are used to the "steering wheel" (yaw axis) deciding which way the nose of the vehicle is going to go, instead of the fixed yaw rotation that we get here.

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

March 20, 2018, 9:20 a.m.

Updated //
March 20, 2018, 9:22 a.m.

Tyrel, calm down. I'm only talking about editing an .ini file to bind modules and PtX commands to extra mouse buttons and the mousewheel, not changing ship movement buttons.

I was replying to this part.

"Please add this option to the list of Quality of Life changes, like being able to bind controls to additional mouse buttons and the wheel."

March 20, 2018, 9:33 a.m.

Oh... okay. I didn't really listen to that issue, somehow I just keep assuming that every gamer has a gaming mice.

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

March 21, 2018, 11:11 a.m.

+1 to op, I keep trying to reverse like world of warships and facing the wrong way.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.