FORUMS

A Word From Mike Donatelli On The State Of Healing

Posted: //
April 1, 2018, 5:38 p.m.

Updated //
April 1, 2018, 5:40 p.m.

@Vasiliy People rarely communicate in battle? I think you missed my point, or I phrased it incorrectly. I meant the people who I often see complaining about healing, or most anything in the game being op/broken? I don't see those people in the actual game. Indicating they aren't playing enough to give credit to such complaints.

As for healers, as I've said before. It doesn't take a team, or a squad to break up a healball. It helps for sure, but it ain't necessary. And I keep seeing how squads = instawin. The actual communication between us is nowhere near what I believe everyone thinks it is. Do we rely on healers? In a way, yeah. Literally everyone does. They're a required component in any serious fight.

Have I thought how hard it is for 8 random players to kill our healers? No, no I can't say I have. Now that you pose the question though, it really shouldn't be that hard. You think we win because of healers, and communication beyond in-game commands? No. We win because we've all been playing a while, and we're all decent or more than decent at the game. Sometimes we won't even have people in the squad be on comms, and if they are they're silent ftmp.

As for me personally relying on healers, I have the most time by far on destroyers and corvettes...neither of which "rely" on healing. I'm either dead, behind lines, or full health. There's no inbetween.

April 2, 2018, 6:32 a.m.

Updated //
April 2, 2018, 6:43 a.m.

Fully agree with Foo Jub here.

Those people who complain i rarely meet ingame and if i do, they often are at the lower end of the scoreboard ...

All it takes to get a healball down is one player who has the right Module Setup and who knows what he is doing. Or well, a full team of players who don't know, who continuously shoot at a shielded healer with retailiator to get him his modules back and it takes the whole round to not get him down.

To be honest, i think the healer nerf will hurt the newer players more than the expierienced players, because stuff like energy management or good timing become much more important. I expect the pub stomps to get worse instead of better.

"Wenn ich nicht weiß, was ich mache, dann weiß es der Gegner auch nicht!"

PC | German

April 2, 2018, 11:17 a.m.

W4R-DN, LYB-FooJub - first let's see what they have planned for healing. They either can screw it even more or actually create interesting gameplay.

Healing problem is just not fact, that countering healing is a bit harder than healing itself, problem also is, healing leads into very specif type of gameplay. You and some others allready mentioned very specific counters for healing - yet, you don't see how it is bad for the game - however, you are basically supporting, what was said above.

I for one would welcome, if my Tacts would be seen more than just simple healbots. Also, they can change healing in a way, they wont nerf it to the ground and yet still achieve goals they have set for themselves.

Let's wait and see..hopefully they learnt their lesson with Progression 2.0 fiasco, and this time they will listen to community.

April 2, 2018, 12:44 p.m.

[W4R-DN#4622] said:

Fully agree with Foo Jub here.

Those people who complain i rarely meet ingame and if i do, they often are at the lower end of the scoreboard ...

All it takes to get a healball down is one player who has the right Module Setup and who knows what he is doing. Or well, a full team of players who don't know, who continuously shoot at a shielded healer with retailiator to get him his modules back and it takes the whole round to not get him down.

To be honest, i think the healer nerf will hurt the newer players more than the expierienced players, because stuff like energy management or good timing become much more important. I expect the pub stomps to get worse instead of better.

The people I see saying the heal ball is not a problem, are people who mostly play in squads, one ship can not take out a heal ball on it's own, it needs to be a quordinated strike, where as a heal ball needs close to zero comunication to keep up. just a knowlage of energy managment and how to manage cooldowns. a team in a heal ball needs to do one thing to win, protect the healers. with the buff to ANL you can't even nuke them to oblivian if a sqaud is playing heal ball.

Presonally I feel it's the OB like mod amp and adrenalin short that make a heal ball a problem.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

April 2, 2018, 3:06 p.m.

One ship can definitely take out a heal ball on it's own. I've seen it done, I've done it. Of course the difficulty of doing so will vary depending on the team you face, but it is most definitely possible. Anti-nuke lasers also have a considerable cooldown. Disrupting, purging, or just waiting all result in the ability to nuke. And yeah, people in squads are more likely to say healballs aren't a problem because they're also more likely to be experienced, and/or older players.

April 2, 2018, 4:32 p.m.

Average player here. Thinking about breaking a heal ball solo.

I can see breaking the network of healing pods with a standard nuke. That would help and easy to do solo.

Tartarus nuking the group is good, but I don't have much follow-up in a dread. That one seems to need teamwork.

I think blast pulse and assault blink warp bypass shields. Maybe that's an answer. They were both far down the tech trees until a month ago, so maybe that's a more viable answer since the patch. With module amp maybe I can drop a tac and get out? Definitely maybe. I have to do some math on that. And then in legendary, I'm using T4 modules against T5 ships with increased health. Might break the math a little, but still reasonable.

Even with the improved tech tree, collecting the effective set of modules and OBs to break the ball is a big farm task. And it requires you to bring a vette--or I imagine a light destroyer. It's asking too much of new players. Foojub may be 100% correct that it can be done, and I'd like to see a youtube video so I can learn, but for game health I think the devs are right to dig into it.

The plan is: get to T4, farm another 180k xp to get the right module loadout, farm 1,000,000 xp in other ship lines to get the right OBs. Then you can break the heal ball. For people who don't play a lot, it puts them maybe months away from solo breaking it. In the meantime, they're hitting a wall. It seems bad for player retention and bad for business.

April 2, 2018, 5:06 p.m.

Indeed ... a good way to start off fixing this is by giving ships standard loadouts that fit their playstyle so the start into a new tier (especially T4) is not as hard as it currently is. Atm you get thrown into cold water until you find out whats the supposed role for the ship

PC | German

April 2, 2018, 10:13 p.m.

As much as it sucks to get insta killed with a ram, a storm missile, an assult blink wrap, or a super buffed artillery crusier shot, it's way, way more annoying to blast everything at that koshei and see it still at full health and energy.

Speaking for myself here, I appreciate the team looking into the heal ball. It might not be invincible (good teams / players win games regardless, and matchmaking is a seperate problem) but it really sucks to play against.

April 3, 2018, 5:21 a.m.

yea because that is exactly the wrong way to approach a healer. Assuming that the koschei has all the OBs and Modules it needs for a healball, so it has adrenaline shot and retailiator aswell as energy gen, autobeams and rep pod.

So now you could just shoot everything at him, and he will be happy that someone is reducing his cooldowns. That is the real issue, the combination of access to almost infinite energy + retailiator allows you to keep your cooldowns very short. So what to do? [Close range] First if you want to solo the healer, timing is everything. I don't attack him when he is full health and full energy. Wait until he is hit or low on energy or disrupt him, as it will lower his energy gain by adrenaline shot and prevent him from using energy gen. Attack from behind or the side. Don't start shooting too early.

[Long range] Shoot them pods first. Two amped pods give you 2080 health per tick, that negates most of the incoming damage. So destroy those pods first.

PC | German

April 3, 2018, 2:59 p.m.

Updated //
April 3, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

LYB-FooJub#4039 posted (#post-216562) said:

One ship can definitely take out a heal ball on it's own. I've seen it done, I've done it. Of course the difficulty of doing so will vary depending on the team you face, but it is most definitely possible. Anti-nuke lasers also have a considerable cooldown. Disrupting, purging, or just waiting all result in the ability to nuke. And yeah, people in squads are more likely to say healballs aren't a problem because they're also more likely to be experienced, and/or older players.

I've done it too. But as you said. It is dependant on the team you face. Nukes also have a long cool down. So Nukes vs ANL is mute really. I do think OB's are the real problem over healing it's self.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.