FORUMS

Corvette-nought

Posted: //
April 3, 2018, 12:15 a.m.

Updated //
April 3, 2018, 12:16 a.m.

That's what this game should be called. Corvette-nought.

All Dreadnoughts cower in fear of Corvettes

Can you shoot them down?

No. No you can not

Poor tracking, the shots will (almost) never land. The shots actually veer away from where you are leading them - this is with the auto-aim off btw.

What happens when a corvette parks their ship right off the bow of your Dreadnought? - The Dreadnought is dead.

The Corvette will hilariously out DPS the namesake of this game.

Can we please have the guns of the Corvette on the bigger ships too?

For some reason the small Corvettes have shields that absorb 100% of damage. Funny cause I thought it might be suicide to park such a small ship so close to the big scwary Dreadnought but here it is considered "good game design"

Can the reaally big ships that look like they have more than one person working in them instead have 100% shield absorption?

I actually think the Corvette role is pretty cool and it looks like a support fighter on paper but in reality it is a slayer role pure and simple.

I have played plenty of games ( PS4 ) and I have actually become accustomed to the players that fall back on either Corvettes or Vindicta as a crutch.

Can someone please tell me that I need Stasis missles? Or some other super locked away Tier IV module?

How about you instead explain to me why I need a special magic ice missle to counter poor game design? Or any other module for that matter?

The stasis missle is itself a very bad idea ( "hey , lets make the ships that move at a snails pace even slower or stop all together" )

Slowing the pace of play is not good at all. I'm not saying the tactic isn't effective, I'm saying having elements that slow down and frustrate players is not a good way to retain them.

Look I like this game but the counterplay against Corvettes ( and the Vindicta ) is a joke

Not calling for any major nerf here, I just want my guns to work and make some sense. ie: when small ship sits next to my giant ship and I'm blasting it in the face with my main or secondary turrets, well sorry but I think the small ship should die very quickly, not the other way around.

April 3, 2018, 2:48 a.m.

Updated //
April 3, 2018, 3:01 a.m.

Can you shoot them down? Yes, yes you can.

Poor tracking? I think you mean poor aim.

What happens when a corvette parks on the bow of a dread? It doesn't even stop moving before it's incinerated.

Corvette will out-dps dreads? On paper? Yeah. In reality? Big fat nope. Vettes need to be within 1200 km for their guns to have the dps shown. Dreads on the other hand have more than double, and up to 6x as much range, not to mention don't have to constantly break off for fear of their lives. Their dps is constant. Corvette dps is not. The dps of dreads in a match is significantly higher than that of a corvette.

And if you meant damage, not dps, what is the point of a corvette when dreads can do the same damage with 8-9x the health?

Have the guns of corvettes on bigger ships? See above. Not to mention those already pretty much exist in the form of the jutland primaries, and heavy flak.

Corvettes have to have 100% shield absorption, it's their only real means of survival. Even then it's often not enough. If it was equal to other ships absorption level, it would die before the energy was even consumed entirely.

Having 100% shield absorption on dreads is actually counterproductive. It's better to have a balance, otherwise there's zero point in them having such massive amounts of health. With 65% absorption rate, heals are meaningful, and energy for shields can be regenerated at a more meaningful rate. Not to mention, dread shields are time based, whereas corvette shields are damage based.

It's a "slayer role"? What do you want it to be? Pointless role?

If you think playing corvettes or destroyers, particularly vindicta as being a crutch...woo. Please do play them yourself. I think you'll find it's nowhere near as "easy" as you proclaim.

You don't need stasis modules. You don't even need any OB, or any other module. Your primaries, or flak. All you NEED. Other stuff helps, naturally, but they ain't needed except as a crutch.

You don't need a "special magic ice missile".

tl;dr you're screwin up somewhere along the line. Try playing some more and watching how others play before you write a pointless page long rant

Also, just a note. Lategame corvettes are, imo, the weakest class in the game. Or at least in the current meta they are.

April 3, 2018, 7:05 a.m.

Updated //
April 3, 2018, 7:07 a.m.

On the topic of giving Dreadnoughts the shields that a corvette has, at one point a while ago the light dreadnought line accidentally got corvette shields, and I'm pretty sure that not a single player who used the light dreadnought liked the change. What you don't realise is how much energy the corvette shield takes; taking any meaningful amount of damage depletes the energy bar in an instant, which is pretty much worthless for the biggest ships in the game that are built to soak damage. Dreadnought shields might have the lowest mitigation, but the benefit is that they take far less energy to sustain than all other shields (there's no energy cost for taking damage, only for running the shield).

I'd also like to add, from a lore/realism perspective, it makes sense that dreadnoughts don't get the same guns that corvettes have, again due to being built to soak damage. A dreadnought needs guns that are solid and reliable, able to take broadsides, nukes, missiles, you name it, and keep firing, whereas a corvette can utilise more delicate armaments that dish out a ton of damage but can't take it. Sure, there's no actual representation of this in the game (can't disable guns with damage), but it makes sense.

Yes, the corvette is a pure slayer role; also known as an assassin (i.e. it kills unsuspecting victms fast, but doesn't do well against a prepared target). There are some "tanky" builds that don't align with that, but for the most part, they are assassins.

In terms of destroying corvettes with a dreadnought, packing stasis pulse and plasma broadside is virtually guaranteed death for a light corvette that comes within range of you, and will severely injure the other two varieties. If you use the heavy flak secondaries, their range lines up nicely with corvette max effective range, and can be used to tear them apart as well. Stasis isn't meant to be used against the slow targets; it's meant for the targets that are too fast for you to hit (bringing them down to your speed).

April 3, 2018, 11:30 p.m.

[LYB-FooJub#4039]

Can you shoot them down? Yes, yes you can.

Poor tracking? I think you mean poor aim.

You don't need a "special magic ice missile".

Hahaha you are too funny, it must be my lucky day to get a response from a LYBallbag scrub. Do you pub stompers even play on PS4?

Right, right, it's my poor aim. I was going to blame lag but I guess it's my terribad aim. It has nothing to do with shots fired ahead of the target and then watching the bullets actually move toward the target as if some type of aim assist was on. - This causes the bullets to miss btw but I guess you didn't understand that.

And, not a single person on any of these forums or anywhere feels this way about corvettes. It's just me I guess. I didn't just end a match a few days ago and hear another random player on the other team say " It's like a Tie fighter going up against the Death Star and the Tie fighter wins" Their team won the match btw.

And "Late Game"? WTF does that mean? You mean after you've unlocked all the upper tier modules that allow you any counter play? Ok I'll just keep grinding away until months from now I have sum gud modules.

I'm not sure if this is a very good example but why dont you go and play Havoc Mode? When your OP LYB self and your team lose because you can't kill the bot Corvette then maybe you'll understand.

April 4, 2018, 12:08 a.m.

[Lymceh#8349]:

You make good points I just think it is odd that the Corvette is very dominant. And if it is the pure slayer role, why the heck call the game Dreanought?

It is dominant even if it doesn't have a high KDR for the match.

One of the reasons is because your entire team may waste a whole lot of time shooting at it but not get anywhere ( because they can't hit it and do minimal damage to it ) all the while getting picked off by the other ships.

• This just happened in the last match I was in - This Corvette player was tier IV and shredded everyone on my team. He went 9 -2, he's very good and I see him pretty regularly. I was the one who killed him twice, he killed me 4 times. I almost had him once but as he hovered with shileds on, he very carefully moved just out of range of my Flak guns and by the time I switch back to my pathetic main guns it was all over. Btw I am actually not that bad at killing them I just think the playstyle that is encouraged is complete garbage.

The appeal of the game is the big ships right? Just nod your head and say it with me because I guarantee you if you spoke with any of the devs that is what they would sell you on. " Hey kis wanna play this super awesome giant battleship?" They would never ever mention Corvettes. If I end up going to PAX east I will prove ths to you WITH VIDEO EVIDENCE!!!! That is if I don't get thrown out for yelling at them about the stupid Corvettes first.

April 4, 2018, 2:25 a.m.

Updated //
April 4, 2018, 2:27 a.m.

Astraea#9085 posted (#post-216684) said: Do you even play on PS4?

Ah, darn; that always gets me. Why these forums don't seem to filter the "Recent Posts" feed based on platform given they are pretty much two completely different games is beyond me v_v

You make good points I just think it is odd that the Corvette is very dominant. And if it is the pure slayer role, why the heck call the game Dreanought?

As the assassin, the role of a corvette is largely meant to be harassment and elimination of weaker targets; they need to be able to kill very quickly, because if they don't they are usually dead. It's a very fine line to balance. Sadly, I have no experience of the PS4 version, so I can't really comment beyond that. From my own experience on PC, not many corvettes are particularly dominant, just the ones piloted by the really good players, and even those can be countered (albeit with a bit of luck).

April 4, 2018, 3:52 a.m.

I agree, corvette is way too over-powered and now over-played. Most games I join now have 2 or 3 random bots the real players are mostly corvettes now, you see the same players too always in the game with their favourite corvette.

I think they should just remove all other classes and call the game:

"Corvette wars, thats if you are actually lucky enough to get into a game with real players because it seems only 5 other people play this game, and only 2 of them speak english... oh and the AI sucks bad, and 40% of games will probably crash on you anyway"

ok not the most catchy title.

There isnt much you can do to counter corvettes if you like a class like dreadnought, Artillery Cruiser, or even Destroyer for the most part. This is where you really need a team and you all huddle together and creep across the map (this is very boring by the way to any game devs that are listening)... but guess what you can f'n get a team because your team is always full of bots that will play totally randomly.

So if I use my dreadnought, same thing always happens, Corvette guy (that doesnt even show on the radar) comes in, knocks out my modules and obliterates me (shields, and armor amplifiers make little difference), my only defence is reapeater guns or flak turrets, that dont seem to be able to hit anything very effectively. Most of the games now it's 2 corvettes in a team attacking.

For those saying corvettes need to kill quickly or they are dead, have you played a dreadnought vs corvette on PS4? and I'm not talking about the $#1t AI driven corvettes.

April 4, 2018, 8 a.m.

Disclaimer: Just stating how the game is designed and what works, not saying it is good or bad.

All ships are meant to be able to solo all other ships. And there are even more caveats, Corvettes weakness is simply range and hp, if you cannot use those two against them, youre usually dead. So to counter them you not only need a certain loadout, you also have to be aware of their attack routes, meaning stay away from cover, you need to land some shots at range, then beeing stationary, even with a Dread, is bad, always move to get the most out of it, if you are not moving at nearly all times, you are at a disadvantage.

Regarding the "radar", it only shows ships that fire or get spotted, the game, at least on the PC, creates markers on the viewport for ships in line of sight but out of your field of view, might not yet be in the PS4 version as it is three patches behind.

Recruit Engineer

April 4, 2018, 9:36 a.m.

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE using Stasis Ammo to stasis enemy corvettes (actually almost any enemy ship), which usually results in a kill for either one's self or a teammate; or at the very least I can troll the corvette and stasis him/her for 10+ seconds. I have no experience with using a controller for Dreadnought, so it might be much more difficult to use on the PS4.

April 4, 2018, 11:11 a.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-216724) said:

Disclaimer: Just stating how the game is designed and what works, not saying it is good or bad.

All ships are meant to be able to solo all other ships. And there are even more caveats, Corvettes weakness is simply range and hp, if you cannot use those two against them, youre usually dead. So to counter them you not only need a certain loadout, you also have to be aware of their attack routes, meaning stay away from cover, you need to land some shots at range, then beeing stationary, even with a Dread, is bad, always move to get the most out of it, if you are not moving at nearly all times, you are at a disadvantage.

Regarding the "radar", it only shows ships that fire or get spotted, the game, at least on the PC, creates markers on the viewport for ships in line of sight but out of your field of view, might not yet be in the PS4 version as it is three patches behind.

Yeah... "you need to land some shots at range", only the AI bots are dumb enough not to move out of the way of a ranged shot, a dread ranged shot is super slow, nowhere near enough accuracy to hit a moving corvette most of the time, in fact the Flak turrets seem to be pretty useless also. Don't corvettes have cloaking also?

The thing that annoys me the most is that when a you have a corvette attacking you at close range you have to find him first before you can initiate the Autoguns, by then its too late. Surely this is a bug (for PS4) as autoguns light up when there is an Attack ship near you without you needing to sight him first. I dont know if its part of a recent patch or not but also explosion/smoke etc seems to be more dramatic now also making it hard to sight ships, impossible at times when you have multiple attackers hitting you.

"to counter them you not only need a certain loadout" That is my point really, if you need to make a dread with a certain loadout just to counter corvettes then the dread isnt really doing what its designed to do... so why dont we all just play with corvettes, better yet why not let the players decide and let them have a game lobby where they can turn off/on corvettes joining the games, other games do this.

Disclaimer: my opinion Really at the end of the day, they have made a game that has potential and on the surfice seems cool... apart from the multitude of issues (game lag, timeouts, diconnections, midgame joining, randomness of ship speed, randomness of ship control, sound... omg the sound, why cant they fix that? And the wait times to join games). But once you play it for a while, you realise its a bit of a mess and actually more frustrating than fun. Hence why not many players.

Closed