FORUMS

Corvette-nought

Posted: //
April 4, 2018, 11:47 a.m.

[Slash-McCash#8986] posted [(#post-216751)] said:

Yeah... "you need to land some shots at range", only the AI bots are dumb enough not to move out of the way of a ranged shot, a dread ranged shot is super slow, nowhere near enough accuracy to hit a moving corvette most of the time, in fact the Flak turrets seem to be pretty useless also. Don't corvettes have cloaking also?

On Dreads always use the Repeater secondary guns, they are stronger than the primaries, besides one T5 Dread. Yes they have cloak, but all cloaks can be spotted and they lose a very potent module if they use cloak. Also if you "zoom" in, your guns become more accurate and might get an additional aim-assist.

The thing that annoys me the most is that when a you have a corvette attacking you at close range you have to find him first before you can initiate the Autoguns, by then its too late. Surely this is a bug (for PS4) as autoguns light up when there is an Attack ship near you without you needing to sight him first.

Heavy Autoguns work without a target, at least on the PC, but they are not the best weapon against Corvettes, but they might help at the lower tiers.

"to counter them you not only need a certain loadout" That is my point really, if you need to make a dread with a certain loadout just to counter corvettes then the dread isnt really doing what its designed to do... so why dont we all just play with corvettes, better yet why not let the players decide and let them have a game lobby where they can turn off/on corvettes joining the games, other games do this.

That is a misconception from your side. The games name is Dreadnought, because every ship is a Dreadnought. Every ship is designed to win a 1vs1 against every other ship under the right cirumstances with the right loadout. So if you do not adapt your loadout, the game will punish you hard. This is true for all ships, a Destroyer can also run loadouts that take out your Dread, or Arties, even Tacs can easily wear you down in a 1vs1. I can even point you to a dev-post where they state this. You bring five ships, and soon ten loadouts, so you can create counter loadouts. And I suspect this is the actual "issue" of the game, people dislike that they cannot run what they want.

Recruit Engineer

April 4, 2018, 2:53 p.m.

Updated //
April 4, 2018, 2:57 p.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-216724) said:

Disclaimer: Just stating how the game is designed and what works, not saying it is good or bad.

All ships are meant to be able to solo all other ships. And there are even more caveats, Corvettes weakness is simply range and hp, if you cannot use those two against them, youre usually dead. So to counter them you not only need a certain loadout, you also have to be aware of their attack routes, meaning stay away from cover, you need to land some shots at range, then beeing stationary, even with a Dread, is bad, always move to get the most out of it, if you are not moving at nearly all times, you are at a disadvantage.

Regarding the "radar", it only shows ships that fire or get spotted, the game, at least on the PC, creates markers on the viewport for ships in line of sight but out of your field of view, might not yet be in the PS4 version as it is three patches behind.

I'm sorry, but I highly disagree with you on the "all ships are meant to be able to solo all other ships" comment. The ship classes were designed with specific roles. Healer, sniper, assassin, fighter, tank. This sounds a lot like a MOBA game because of the ship ckasses. But unlike MOBA games, Dreadnought ship roles are even more class specific.

And unless you're a completely incompetent Dreadnought captain, or you remove all existing land/space obstacles for cover so all you have is an empty void with just 2 ships going at it, a tactical cruiser cannot solo a Dreadnought class ship. If they could, there would be no reason to ever play a Dreadnought class. Why would you? It's the slowest ship in the game.

Many pc players don't realise there's quite a big difference between the PS4 version and the PC version.

1 First is the quantity of ships on the battkefield. PC has double the amount of ships in-game than PS4. This alone can drastically change a certain ships performance and/or usage due to the fact that there are either more or less guns shooting at you to worry about.

2 Controllers vs mouse and keyboard. On pc, if a corvette makes a strafing run on a dreadought's left side, the captain can quickly move the mouse to immediately target the corvette again as it flies over it to the right side. You can't do this on PS4. Unless you set your custom controller to high aiming speed, trying to align your reticle is quite a challenge. You can't snap aim like a pc user can. Again, an advantage for corvette captains on PS4.

I'm not saying that corvettes are OP. But I can tell you that most corvettes nowadays can survive even a stasis pulse and escape. And no, I'm not talking 1 vs 1. I'm talking a single corvette harrasing 2-3 ships and surviving. That includes a Dreadnought with stasis pulse. This is the reality on PS4.

And in case you were wondering about my skills as a captain, here are my stats. Not for bragging either.

Rank 50 KD 4+ Main ship usage is Akula Vector Dreadnought at 90%. Probably 95% since I love my dread. Played Dreadnought since the 2nd month if release. I started with the Oberon TC to unlock the Oberon Dreadnought. Then after obtaining that ship, I slowly moved to Akuka Vector. Been using it since.

I usually run solo 90% of the time because not too many of my friends play Dreadnought anymore. But I've seen every situation you can think of when it comes to strategy or ship performance. And I can tell you that PS4 matches are quite different than pc matches from the things I've already described.

Also, if I'm correct, I believe that we have the build that actually buffed corvettes or destroyers more than intended. The PC already updated there's and toned that buff down.

April 4, 2018, 3:13 p.m.

Cipher_73#7198 posted (#post-216765) said:

I'm sorry, but I highly disagree with you on the "all ships are meant to be able to solo all other ships" comment. The ship classes were designed with specific roles. Healer, sniper, assassin, fighter, tank. This sounds a lot like a MOBA game because of the ship ckasses. But unlike MOBA games, Dreadnought ship roles are even more class specific.

That is not my opinion, but what the devs told us. Read part (5) of this dev-post:Community Hot Topics #4

And unless you're a completely incompetent Dreadnought captain, or you remove all existing land/space obstacles for cover so all you have is an empty void with just 2 ships going at it, a tactical cruiser cannot solo a Dreadnought class ship. If they could, there would be no reason to ever play a Dreadnought class. Why would you? It's the slowest ship in the game.

Just wear them down at 5km with Energy Gen, Anti-Missile/Nuke-Lasers and Healdrone.

1 First is the quantity of ships on the battkefield. PC has double the amount of ships in-game than PS4. This alone can drastically change a certain ships performance and/or usage due to the fact that there are either more or less guns shooting at you to worry about.

PC had 5vs5 for some time too.

2 Controllers vs mouse and keyboard. On pc, if a corvette makes a strafing run on a dreadought's left side, the captain can quickly move the mouse to immediately target the corvette again as it flies over it to the right side. You can't do this on PS4. Unless you set your custom controller to high aiming speed, trying to align your reticle is quite a challenge. You can't snap aim like a pc user can. Again, an advantage for corvette captains on PS4.

I never said they are balanced on PS4, just stating what you are meant to do.

Also, if I'm correct, I believe that we have the build that actually buffed corvettes or destroyers more than intended. The PC already updated there's and toned that buff down.

There was no unintended buff to both of them. The only thing would be the Kinetic Armor Amplifier nerf, no clue if this one is already on ps4.

Recruit Engineer

April 4, 2018, 4:23 p.m.

Updated //
April 4, 2018, 4:28 p.m.

One thing you may find is, that as you progress up the tiers, corvettes become less and less useful. In fact I haven;t seen any on "Ledgendary" - but its hard to get games on that level so maybe I just haven't seen them. They are too weak for those levels and the co-ordinated game play.

I think they may be over powered at the lower levels but at the upper levels they are a dead-end. If you invest in them early on you are going to struggle at the later tiers. Thats what my experience has been so far with them. Not sure what others have found.

Also you get very little points/credit etc playing covettes - in my experience it can be 1/4 of what I get playing other classes, this is at level 4, and this makes it a real slog later.

April 4, 2018, 6:26 p.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-216766) said:

Cipher_73#7198 posted (#post-216765) said:

That is not my opinion, but what the devs told us. Read part (5) of this dev-post:Community Hot Topics #4

They were still designed with specific roles. And the added modules that buffs each ship's weak ability only gives them a fighting chance to survive such as a matchup between a Dreadnought and tactical cruiser. And at T4, the chance of a TC to survive a direct engagement against a dread becomes smaller and smaller. If you create a 1 vs 1 mode then loadouts will completely change when it comes to engaging specific ships. But this is not a game for 1 vs 1 so ships are not kitted out to fight one ship, they're kitted out to deal in various scenarios and hopefully the choice works. The devs designed the ships to have a fighting chance of survival when it comes to the 1 vs 1 situations. But to think that a TC is on equal grounds as a Dreadnought on a 1 vs 1 against a dreadnought, then you seriously haven't played long enough.

Just wear them down at 5km with Energy Gen, Anti-Missile/Nuke-Lasers and Healdrone.

Sounds great on paper, not so much on the battlefield.

And what was your point exactly? Dreadnought was out on pc long before being released on PS4.

I never said they are balanced on PS4, just stating what you are meant to do.

And I never said that you did. I was the one describing that it's not so balanced on the PS4.

There was no unintended buff to both of them. The only thing would be the Kinetic Armor Amplifier nerf, no clue if this one is already on ps4.

I believe this is the one I was trying to remember. I know it was a module on one of the ships. So we have the build before your version which nerfed it.

April 4, 2018, 6:55 p.m.

Cipher_73#7198 posted (#post-216773) said:

They were still designed with specific roles. And the added modules that buffs each ship's weak ability only gives them a fighting chance to survive such as a matchup between a Dreadnought and tactical cruiser. And at T4, the chance of a TC to survive a direct engagement against a dread becomes smaller and smaller. If you create a 1 vs 1 mode then loadouts will completely change when it comes to engaging specific ships. But this is not a game for 1 vs 1 so ships are not kitted out to fight one ship, they're kitted out to deal in various scenarios and hopefully the choice works. The devs designed the ships to have a fighting chance of survival when it comes to the 1 vs 1 situations. But to think that a TC is on equal grounds as a Dreadnought on a 1 vs 1 against a dreadnought, then you seriously haven't played long enough.

A full heal Tac not, but a battle Tac has a good chance. But this balance idea creates the issues we discuss here, if you play the Dread according to its role, with a fitting loadout, another ship with the counter loadout, which makes no sense outside of this situation, will have the upper hand. This is the same on the PC and has not changed since I play. Then we have Corvettes whose role is that of an assassin, so they can simply go with their desired role and have an advantage in most 1vs1 situations. If they do not want to change this balance idea, then a Corvette with the right loadout has to be able to win that 1vs1 engagement with the Dread, and thats still the current situation on PC and PS4.

And yes, I believe a Tac can win a 1vs1 against a Dread, if the Tac has the correct counter-loadout. It will never happen outside of custom games, but I think it is possible.

And what was your point exactly? Dreadnought was out on pc long before being released on PS4.

I played 5vs5 long enough to know the difference. Not much has changed, and the sad thing is, they most likely balance for 8vs8 with the hope that they can get it to the PS4 too.

Recruit Engineer

April 4, 2018, 7:03 p.m.

Maybe this is where the differences and conflicting opinions come from. I've never played the PC version (really not worth the space on my gaming rig from what I've seen on PS4, maybe this view is skewed), only ever played on PS4.

Following a corvette thats moving around you with the current controller setup is painfully slow and annoying, camera views are also annoying. Yes you can change the sensitivity but then this makes your ranged game harder.

The autoguns issue on a dread, does anyone else get this? Autoguns dont highlight if a corvette is close, once you find them(spot them) they will highlight, you then activate the autogun, it kicks in but then stops within a couple of seconds then is highlighted again and you have to activate it again, but the corvette has never moved out of range. Am I missing something, is this by design? Whenever I have noticed this its always with the Oberon line of corvettes, so maybe a module but it just seems a bit more like a bug (I dont play corvettes, so please educate me).

I agree that co-ordinated gameplay is required and it should be, but again there is a problem because its region locked i'm in PAL (Europe and Oceania) region, so 9 out of 10 times my team is all foreign, team sizes are also very small sometimes 2 vs 4 (not counting bots).

Loadouts - would be nice to have several different preset loadouts you can switch between during games. Changing your loadout prior to joining a game, without even knowing the map or opponents is very limiting

April 4, 2018, 7:19 p.m.

Slash-McCash#8986 posted (#post-216777) said:

The autoguns issue on a dread, does anyone else get this? Autoguns dont highlight if a corvette is close, once you find them(spot them) they will highlight, you then activate the autogun, it kicks in but then stops within a couple of seconds then is highlighted again and you have to activate it again, but the corvette has never moved out of range. Am I missing something, is this by design? Whenever I have noticed this its always with the Oberon line of corvettes, so maybe a module but it just seems a bit more like a bug (I dont play corvettes, so please educate me).

Autoguns should fire for their whole active time and light up once an enemy is in range. Corvettes have a module that can shut them down, Disruptor Pulse and T4+ also Disruptor Ammo. So report the buggy autoguns, there might be something wrong.

Recruit Engineer

April 5, 2018, 12:39 a.m.

Updated //
April 5, 2018, 12:41 a.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-216774) said:

Cipher_73#7198 posted (#post-216773) said:

A full heal Tac not, but a battle Tac has a good chance. But this balance idea creates the issues we discuss here, if you play the Dread according to its role, with a fitting loadout, another ship with the counter loadout, which makes no sense outside of this situation, will have the upper hand. This is the same on the PC and has not changed since I play. Then we have Corvettes whose role is that of an assassin, so they can simply go with their desired role and have an advantage in most 1vs1 situations. If they do not want to change this balance idea, then a Corvette with the right loadout has to be able to win that 1vs1 engagement with the Dread, and thats still the current situation on PC and PS4.

You've already answered with my reason. Outside of a 1 vs 1 matchup, no one runs a loadout like that because that's not the reality of the battlefield situation.

And yes, I believe a Tac can win a 1vs1 against a Dread, if the Tac has the correct counter-loadout. It will never happen outside of custom games, but I think it is possible.

Regardless of loadout the TC has, it'll never be on par with ships designed to engage dreads directly. I guarantee you that out of the millions of players out there, someone somewhere has attempted to build that ultimate dread killer TC. And till this day, it doesn't exist without help from other ships. Even in a controlled 1 vs 1, a TC would have a very difficult time destroying a dread.

I played 5vs5 long enough to know the difference. Not much has changed, and the sad thing is, they most likely balance for 8vs8 with the hope that they can get it to the PS4 too.

I'm gonna give you a numbers game on this one. Let's say we had this 8 vs 8 elimination match that was soo one-sided, that one team had their entire 8 ships still intact and their opposing team was demolished down to just two ships. Let's pretend they're all using Akula Vector dreads at T4 and the only weapon they're all using is their primary plasma cannons. What's the chance of the two ships destroying at least two ships from the opposing team of 8 dreads? The chance of that happening is pretty much zero. Why? Because the team of 8 can fire a total of 24 plasma rounds on one volley onto those two dreads and the two dreads can only fire 6 plasma rounds in a single volley. The two dreads may not even survive long enough to take just one dread from the opposing team of 8.

Anyways. This is my last reply to this post. This discussion is going on far too long and heading nowhere. Lol.

April 5, 2018, 1:20 a.m.

tl;dr yall can't aim, and want vettes nerfed cuz you don't wanna improve your aim. Seems legit

Closed