FORUMS

The grind, gating the full experience, and humane/sensible player retention

Posted: //
April 22, 2018, 4:34 a.m.

I asked in the latest livestream, what they are going to do against the oppressive Grind. They were struggling a bit, as well as being nervous. But they stated that they are aware of it, and are having quite some things in the works. All we can do is to sit back, wait and hope for the best. They are working on the Grind.

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

April 22, 2018, 11:46 a.m.

Good to know theyre working towards fixing it.

April 24, 2018, 9:14 a.m.

Updated //
April 24, 2018, 9:21 a.m.

One partial solution, and I do stress the term "partial solution" might be to increase the variety of teir 1 ships by a full 100%. Give starting players more options to begin with, seriously.

Here's another grand solution. Make gold easier to earn in game. If there were more ways to earn it, fewer players would be discouraged by the grind wall. It's not a perfect or final solution by any means though so don't just stop with that and say "I'm done." The option to pay for cosmetics and hero ships is nice, but making it feel like the ONLY reliable option is just sad. I seriously want to be able to earn cosmetics, modules, and ships at a far more reliable rate through solid gameplay. Right now, that isn't how the game feels. It's a brick wall, and not everyone is able to wall run yknow.

April 24, 2018, 3:11 p.m.

The problem with adding more Tier 1 ships is that you're going to have more ships you don't use beyond very early. As soon as I got tier 2 JA destroyer, it was so much better there's no sense in ever going back to the tier 1 destroyer. I have a feeling it will be the same for tier 3 vs tier 4

April 24, 2018, 11:31 p.m.

Yeah there's a lot of problems with including any tiers of ships that have significant stat differences.

I think rather than pushing whole ships down, pushing more mod choices down would provide more loadout and meta depth to 'get the hooks in' sooner. That coupled with lowered XP/money costs for unlocks in higher tiers would make it more reasonable to get out of the kiddie pool and into the deep end where one can fully appreciate the game. Though it seems like the grind is more a factor of a bad income system than the high costs. So perhaps it'd be better if we focussed on restructuring the income system(s) to reward desired behavior (finishing matches, good teamwork, consecutive matches (maybe?), etc.) and then worrying about if those rewards make progression at a reasonable rate consistently achieveable across various skill levels, so that folks aren't dissuaded from playing the game due to content trickle.

July 25, 2018, 7:30 p.m.

Brother Belial#4215 posted (#post-217142) said:

The grind is bad is you are not that good at the game. I don't buy elite as it would be a waste of money for me as my play time is very sporadic. I've managed quite well with out elite. The only thing I've bought have been cosmetic items/hero ships.

LOOK, here you are.. AGAIN.... of course, it must be the forum poster who is bad at the game, ant nothing with the game itself........

July 27, 2018, 2:53 a.m.

Ensaine#5643 posted (#post-223997) said:

Brother Belial#4215 posted (#post-217142) said:

The grind is bad is you are not that good at the game. I don't buy elite as it would be a waste of money for me as my play time is very sporadic. I've managed quite well with out elite. The only thing I've bought have been cosmetic items/hero ships.

LOOK, here you are.. AGAIN.... of course, it must be the forum poster who is bad at the game, ant nothing with the game itself........

FYI, the grind got to me, I left the game (Only back because I got a notification and apparently need to unsub this post). I tried Fractured Space and that was fun, but still pretty grindy (just more lateral than tiered) and gameplay got similarly stale. Still looking for someone to get this genre right, but Dreadnought it's not. ;-)

July 27, 2018, 7:52 a.m.

I don't have an issue with the grind at all- I've unlocked half of the T4 ships, one T5 ship, and researched every T4 ship in only 50 hours of gameplay. If you actually bother to play the game and set goals for yourself that tends to help quite a bit...

Join the Community Discord!

https://discord.gg/uvUsYP

July 27, 2018, 8:17 a.m.

Valkin#7165 posted (#post-217174) said:

Even with elite, the grind is oppressive. That one single thing is the only reason this game never took off. Beating a dead horse though at this point.

The grind is oppressive to many and will have contributed to some players leaving.

Some players are of course better than others and will take less time to go through the Tiers; some may even enjoy the grind. There are also some that, whether this game or another, spend a lot of their time/life on it, whilst others will not (or spread their time on other things/games). Of course this doesn't actually matter one bit, because these are the 'happy' people that will stay anyway; it's those that are leaving that Greybox has to turn back around.

"Steam will deliver us from evil...Amen!" Although details haven't been released it has been indicated that balance issues and other major tweaks will be coming at release and into the future. I wait and hope that some of the players concerns are addressed, but even more, I pray that come release day when the players log onto the game they don't think "what the ..... have you done Greybox!"

July 27, 2018, 8:55 a.m.

A mix of the grind and poor matchmaking creates an incredibly bad mix for some that cause them to leave. They get discourged because not only are tehy getting seal clubbed by squads, but because they're not gaining much xp/credits from those matches advancing their ships takes longer. Plus every time you get to a new tier, it's like you just climbed one mountain only to find the next one is twice the size, and you're already tired from the last one.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.