FORUMS

My thoughts after a few of weeks

Posted: //
April 6, 2018, 2:57 p.m.

Updated //
April 6, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

So these are simply my opinions after a few weeks of playing dreadnought.I played a fair bit a while back,and took a break to give the game time to grow.So,keep in mind this is coming from the point of view of essentially a new player,and their experience with the game so far.

-Healing/Tacs This stuff is broken.plain and simple.You get a tac hiding around a corner healing a destroyer/dread and that ship isn't going to die.I've seen entire teams pounding ships and the damage just going nowhere,The HP bar just ping ponging up and down with no real effect at the end of the day. Now,1 tac cruiser isn't THAT bad.You can usually get your teeth into 1 tac and deal with it.It's when you have 2 or more that it gets stupid.Good luck killing 2 tacs with their green beams of bull**** on each other without having a co-ordinated team.Which,let's be honest here,doesn't happen in pugs.God forbid the enemy team stacks adrenealine shot. Why is a dedicated,direct healing ship even a thing in this game? Maybe the heal over time pods,ok.Or individual repair skills on moderate/long cooldowns,sure,why not.But dedicated healer ships with constant healing output.No. When i see 2 tacs on the enemy team,it honestly makes me want to just quit out because I know it's going to be nothing but an excercise in frustration.That isn't fun.

-Tech Tree I am not fond of having to play ships I have no interest in to progress to the ships I am interested in.If I want to play destroyers,then let me play destroyers.If I want to play corvettes,dreads,arty,tac....what the F ever,Then let me play that.I don't want to have to grind my way through a ship just to get to the ship type I actually want to play. Sometimes,When i log in and look at the tech tree and realize I have to slog through this boring arty or tac ship grind just to get to the ship I actually want,I just hit ESC,quit out,and play something else.

-Hero Ships I like the idea of hero ships,I have several.However,the higher tier hero ships are far to pricey for the little benefit they provide.Essentially you are buying the visual customizations to use on other ships.I'm not gonna pay $30-$40 for that. Yes,from what i understand,they provide a small credit boost(and maybe a FXP boost?) but having to pay to convert the free xp from them,after i've already paid for the ship? yea,no.You are double dipping here,and it sucks. Or,better yet,just sell the visual customization options piece meal in the market.I might pay 2-3 bucks for a cool looking forecastle/hull/whatever.

-The Grind I understand this is a F2P game,and as such,has to be a bit grindy to encourage people to buy premium stuff.I play plenty of F2P,so I'm kind of used to it.That being said,it starts to get tiring about mid t3-4 for me.I can only imagine how much it's gonna suck at t4-5.If I stick around for that.

-Corvettes I don't have a problem with corvettes,per say.I get the idea of a fast,hard hitter and I'm glad vettes are in the game.I enjoy playing a vette from time to time.What I don't like is that any gun with the range to actively engage a vette,has absolute garbage projectile speed,and any weapon that can reliably damage a vette(IE:flak) has absolute garbage range. Either up the projectile speed to something reasonable,or increase flaks range to something useable.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting,but I'm gonna end it here.All in all,dreadnought is a fun game. Graphics are great,gameplay is (generally) fun,controls are fine,etc.It has potential. But,the things listed above really kill my enjoyment of the game,and make it hard for me to choose to play this over something else on a consistent basis.

April 6, 2018, 4:37 p.m.

Updated //
April 6, 2018, 6:16 p.m.

I understand your feelings, but let me give you my point of view of a just 100h player.

-Healing/Tacs [...] You get a tac hiding around a corner healing a destroyer/dread and that ship isn't going to die.I've seen entire teams pounding ships and the damage just going nowhere.

You're right, and the big mistake is that players always want to take down the biggest ship on the map (Dread, Destro..)... Dreads are the last ship to focus on !! And the game is well made because everybody focus the Dread... But if you let the big fish alone and focus (In vocal or using the "F + Down" command, with all or a part of the team) on what I call "soft target". You'll be able to earn point and take down ship by ship the enemy fleet.

-It's when you have 2 or more that it gets stupid.Good luck killing 2 tacs with their green beams of bull**** on each other without having a co-ordinated team

Once again you're right, when 2 TC play together it's getting hard to take them down, but if 1 or 2 players are focusing them they have to heal each others to survive. BUT meanwhile, all others ennemies ships aren't healed...so youre team has to jump into the breach you've just created to destroy big fishes ! Thanks to plenty modules you are able to debuff enemy TC: Drain Pulse, Disrupt Pulse, Disrupt Missile, Purge Beam, Armorbreaker missile, weaponbreaker missile, plasma ram, purge ram, tractor beam/pod, tartarus nuke.... The last option is to put you ship through the healing beam, you just cut the lifeline, hitting the TC forcing him to move and put it out of cover...

-Tech Tree I am not fond of having to play ships I have no interest in to progress to the ships I am interested in.If I want to play destroyers,then let me play destroyers

At the beginning I had the same feelings, but after grinding and playing I found it absolutely necessary in order to save the variousness of ship you play and you encounter on the other side of the battlefield. Without it, every matches will be the same...every players playing the best ship meta in their Tier category...It had a bit of RP in the game, you have to make your proof as a recruit captain in order to pretend claiming a higher ship... IRL it's like if all big luxury muscle car in the world, were able to be buy by anyone as youg driver...

Sometimes,When i log in and look at the tech tree and realize I have to slog through this boring arty or tac ship grind just to get to the ship I actually want,I just hit ESC,quit out,and play something else

Hum...Can I say "Sometimes, When I woke up and look at what I have to do in my life/career and realize I have to learn/work hard this boring studying/job just to get a better life/situation I want, I just give up, answering why I born, and imagine that I could be born as something else..."

-The Grind [...] it starts to get tiring about mid t3-4 for me.I can only imagine how much it's gonna suck at t4-5.If I stick around for that.

Yes it's hard and long to grind them, as you said it's made for leading players to buy elite status. But if it was easier to grind your ship, everybody were in full T5...and the game will be boring...think about the variousness I spoke previously. And we are human, since the first video game was created, it's a clever mix of frustration and satisfaction... When something is hard to reach, the more you frustration grows, the more you're satisfied when you gain it

So this post isn't THE UNIVERSAL ANSWER, it's just my point of view about your moods.

See you in space Space Cowboys !

Chaîne Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/krustylow

April 6, 2018, 5:29 p.m.

I agree with everything op said, very much in fact. Most of all however, I agree with his point about purchasing visual customisation pieces separately from their respective hero ships. I have no interest in using the hero ships I buy, they don't progress the grind. The only reason I buy them is for the cosmetic components.

April 6, 2018, 7:24 p.m.

You hit a lot of valid points, they are dealing with the healing+adrenaline issue soon, though.

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/135533/

I also agree that being able to purchase hero cosmetics seperatly would be great.

Tech tree.... I understand the frustration, because I felt it too. But I can not lie, being forced to play other ship classes to reach the one I want helped immensely in understanding how to counter the other classes.

April 6, 2018, 10:11 p.m.

Updated //
April 6, 2018, 10:33 p.m.

@Krusty low,thanks for your insight.The only thing I'd disagree slighty with is

Hum...Can I say "Sometimes, When I woke up and look at what I have to do in my life/career and realize I have to learn/work hard this boring studying/job just to get a better life/situation I want, I just give up, answering why I born, and imagine that I could be born as something else..."

the difference is I can just choose to go play another game,I can't just choose to go play another life haha.Just giving you a hard time

@gamatech how awesome would it be if devs let us just buy the pieces,right??

@virtualriot thanks for the link.Hopefully the devs can come up with a fun and interesting solution to the healball situation. Like I said before,in a voice comm'd,coordinated team,it's probably a completely different story....but I'm willing to be the majority of players,just like in most games,are just pugs solo queueing.

I can see the value in having to play the other ship types to advance....I just wish it was a choice as opposed to a requirement.

April 7, 2018, 4:38 a.m.

Updated //
April 7, 2018, 4:40 a.m.

I've been pointing this out since alpha. Healing ship is a mistake in this game. Each ship should have healing modules but there shouldn't be healing purpose ships. They are not needed and they make so many matches unbalanced. It kills the pleasure of playing casual matches especially.

April 8, 2018, 1:59 a.m.

Alexandrix#6188 posted (#post-216871) said:

So these are simply my opinions after a few weeks of playing dreadnought.I played a fair bit a while back,and took a break to give the game time to grow.So,keep in mind this is coming from the point of view of essentially a new player,and their experience with the game so far.

-Healing/Tacs This stuff is broken.plain and simple.You get a tac hiding around a corner healing a destroyer/dread and that ship isn't going to die.I've seen entire teams pounding ships and the damage just going nowhere,The HP bar just ping ponging up and down with no real effect at the end of the day. Now,1 tac cruiser isn't THAT bad.You can usually get your teeth into 1 tac and deal with it.It's when you have 2 or more that it gets stupid.Good luck killing 2 tacs with their green beams of bull**** on each other without having a co-ordinated team.Which,let's be honest here,doesn't happen in pugs.God forbid the enemy team stacks adrenealine shot. Why is a dedicated,direct healing ship even a thing in this game? Maybe the heal over time pods,ok.Or individual repair skills on moderate/long cooldowns,sure,why not.But dedicated healer ships with constant healing output.No. When i see 2 tacs on the enemy team,it honestly makes me want to just quit out because I know it's going to be nothing but an excercise in frustration.That isn't fun.

-Tech Tree I am not fond of having to play ships I have no interest in to progress to the ships I am interested in.If I want to play destroyers,then let me play destroyers.If I want to play corvettes,dreads,arty,tac....what the F ever,Then let me play that.I don't want to have to grind my way through a ship just to get to the ship type I actually want to play. Sometimes,When i log in and look at the tech tree and realize I have to slog through this boring arty or tac ship grind just to get to the ship I actually want,I just hit ESC,quit out,and play something else.

-Hero Ships I like the idea of hero ships,I have several.However,the higher tier hero ships are far to pricey for the little benefit they provide.Essentially you are buying the visual customizations to use on other ships.I'm not gonna pay $30-$40 for that. Yes,from what i understand,they provide a small credit boost(and maybe a FXP boost?) but having to pay to convert the free xp from them,after i've already paid for the ship? yea,no.You are double dipping here,and it sucks. Or,better yet,just sell the visual customization options piece meal in the market.I might pay 2-3 bucks for a cool looking forecastle/hull/whatever.

-The Grind I understand this is a F2P game,and as such,has to be a bit grindy to encourage people to buy premium stuff.I play plenty of F2P,so I'm kind of used to it.That being said,it starts to get tiring about mid t3-4 for me.I can only imagine how much it's gonna suck at t4-5.If I stick around for that.

-Corvettes I don't have a problem with corvettes,per say.I get the idea of a fast,hard hitter and I'm glad vettes are in the game.I enjoy playing a vette from time to time.What I don't like is that any gun with the range to actively engage a vette,has absolute garbage projectile speed,and any weapon that can reliably damage a vette(IE:flak) has absolute garbage range. Either up the projectile speed to something reasonable,or increase flaks range to something useable.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting,but I'm gonna end it here.All in all,dreadnought is a fun game. Graphics are great,gameplay is (generally) fun,controls are fine,etc.It has potential. But,the things listed above really kill my enjoyment of the game,and make it hard for me to choose to play this over something else on a consistent basis.

was going to try this game agen after about a year ... quit becuse of the healing B,S... hoping that cra,p has change but after reading this.....nope not going to come back

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.