FORUMS

Lore discussion

Posted: //
April 7, 2018, 7:50 a.m.

Updated //
April 7, 2018, 7:51 a.m.

So I just completed the most recent poll concerning advertising, which was heavily relying on the whole "Sinley Bay, you are a lawless mercenary, bla bla bla" stuff. And again, I noticed how much I despise this sorry excuse for a background lore. Am I alone in this? Because I have never met anyone who actually liked the "Mercenary" copout that is supposed to allow people to use units of different factions.

Here are my 2 cents: While I like "Faction vs Faction" more, I understand that balancing is much harder, and that many people don't like being tied down to just one side. So I don't mind the way games like the wargaming titles do it, in fact I play and enjoy these games a lot. How did World of Tanks/Warships/Warplanes solve the mystery of british, german and chinese units fighting side by side? They didn't. They just made a game. And that's completely fine, because the game is good.

I really like Dreadnaught's gameplay, and I wouldn't have cared one bit, if they just had skipped making lore altogether. Explain the universe and what happened there (Transhumans and stuff) but just skip sinley bay. That would have been fine. But this? Let's see here: Apparently, I am a lawless mercenary. Owning a dozen capital ships with a combined tonnage of maybe a billion tons of steel and hightech electronics. Crewed by thousands of specialized crewmen. How rich am I exactly? Where did I get all these ships and crew? Sorry, but while "Mercenary" might work with just one dude and his fighter, it just doesn't make sense for capital ships. Sure, you can conjure up some wild story, but it will always be weak, and the community will never actually care about it.

Do us all a favor. Scrap Sinley Bay, and either replace it with a better story, or just leave it as a game with good graphics, fun mechanics and well-designed map - without lore baggage no one cares about.

April 7, 2018, 8:12 a.m.

Maybe I'm missunderstanding, but Akula Vector, Oberon, and Jupiter Arms are NOT factions. They're manufacturers, like Ford and Chevy. The coatings you can buy for the ships are representative for the game's factions. With that said, it's perfectly credible that a mercenary can buy ships from all three companies.

April 7, 2018, 11:16 a.m.

I agree, the part of being a mercenary does not fit very well in this game, it is more, I feel that it takes culture away from both the character and the game, there should be something deeper.

April 7, 2018, 6:08 p.m.

Yeah the lore of the game needs flashing out. As it stands the game is just a space shooter with little bits of lore on the loading screens, but other than that, there is noting to kow really about the game or the univers in which it is set.

Yeah there are no factions in the make of the ships, more in the coatings you can get how ever, like Spartan Legion Guild and such.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

April 7, 2018, 7:48 p.m.

Brother Belial#4215 posted (#post-217008) said:

Yeah the lore of the game needs flashing out. As it stands the game is just a space shooter with little bits of lore on the loading screens, but other than that, there is noting to kow really about the game or the univers in which it is set.

Yeah there are no factions in the make of the ships, more in the coatings you can get how ever, like Spartan Legion Guild and such.

I can't even begin to fathom how many pages upon pages of official lore there is, it's all on their website. Granted, you can't view it in-game. But the lore is there, you just have to look for it.

April 8, 2018, 3:15 a.m.

I have read all the lore, sadly selecting the lore in a search you can only view one page, as there seems to be a bug.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

April 8, 2018, 5:41 a.m.

I can't even begin to fathom how many pages upon pages of official lore there is, it's all on their website. Granted, you can't view it in-game. But the lore is there, you just have to look for it.

I am aware of how much lore there is, and as I said, I don't mind most of it, although don't care either, because unless you go looking for it really hard, you won't be able to find it. So it leaves most gamers with just what they can experience through gaming. And that is pretty much just Sinley Bay, relegating the rest of it to a level akin to Battlefield map descriptions. And I stand by my point. It doesn't matter ow much great lore there is, the Sinley Bay/Mercenary part is ridiculous. I'd much rather have it the way Fractured Space does it - Without explanation.

April 8, 2018, 6:23 a.m.

Updated //
April 8, 2018, 6:33 a.m.

DarkDodger#5260 posted (#post-217069) said:

I am aware of how much lore there is, and as I said, I don't mind most of it, although don't care either, because unless you go looking for it really hard, you won't be able to find it. So it leaves most gamers with just what they can experience through gaming. And that is pretty much just Sinley Bay, relegating the rest of it to a level akin to Battlefield map descriptions. And I stand by my point. It doesn't matter ow much great lore there is, the Sinley Bay/Mercenary part is ridiculous. I'd much rather have it the way Fractured Space does it - Without explanation.

But Fractured Space DOES have explanation XD There were different factions throughout the galaxy. The Alliance of Independent Worlds, The Foundation, Talon Cluster Accord, The Purist Cooperative, and the CPPAL (I can't even begin to remember what that stands for). There was a massive war involving AI, their rights, what does and doesn't count as "life" and extremist groups. The CPPAL alone was a faction fighting for artificial rights, almost like a charity. If you look at each of the personal career progression options in the game, it even gives you short story segments of certain skirmishes and battles as you progress. They even go as far as to give you locations as to where they occurred.

All of this isn't even considering what the devs said about the manufacturers. Zarek is akin to the Russian Federation, and started out before the war as a mining equipment company. USR was an exploration and research facility, and Titan was a warfare based producer.

Even each of the ships have their own story. My personal favourite is the 426 levi and it's jump drive malfunction mid-battle. The Ghost's first prototype, the Phantom. The Revenant Reaper and it's multi billionaire owner spending years trying to track down an aftermarket chop shop willing to take on a capital ship project.

Plus there's a whole new recently announced game mode coming in the next update that actually REVOLVES around the AI uprising. We get to see more of the battles and possibly even more of the factions.

Much like Dreadnought, the lore is there. You just have to look for it

April 8, 2018, 10:29 a.m.

Updated //
April 8, 2018, 10:33 a.m.

Gamatech#6679 posted (#post-217070) said:

But Fractured Space DOES have explanation XD There were different factions throughout the galaxy. The Alliance of Independent Worlds, The Foundation, Talon Cluster Accord, The Purist Cooperative, and the CPPAL (I can't even begin to remember what that stands for).

Eh, come on Mr. faction leader, even I remember that (because it was funny) : The Collective for Protection and Promotion of Artificial Lifeforms.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

April 8, 2018, 11:44 a.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-217081) said:

Gamatech#6679 posted (#post-217070) said:

But Fractured Space DOES have explanation XD There were different factions throughout the galaxy. The Alliance of Independent Worlds, The Foundation, Talon Cluster Accord, The Purist Cooperative, and the CPPAL (I can't even begin to remember what that stands for).

Eh, come on Mr. faction leader, even I remember that (because it was funny) : The Collective for Protection and Promotion of Artificial Lifeforms.

Don't need a datamine for that I suppose haha XD

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.