April 13, 2018, 1:11 p.m.

Read the full preview article here!

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

Posted: //
April 13, 2018, 1:55 p.m.

Updated //
April 13, 2018, 1:56 p.m.

I was about to say that this will be something that is going to make Team Elimination even less played but then I remembered that Team Elimination basically isn't played at all.

Is there anything planned to make all modes played more? People will just continute to choose Onslaught because it's the first mode in the selection and (thus) also the most played one so a lot of people won't even bother queuing for the other ones.

I'm not trying to sound or be salty, I'm glad that the game is getting new content, I'd just be more happy if we also would get to play the entire game and the content players are supposed to be able to experience.

April 13, 2018, 2:42 p.m.

lets see how the gamemode works. at its core seems like warfare mode for ut3 . from the description seems like the fatter the ship the greater the influence and opens the door for niche roles in vettes, since they wont be of much help except for disrupting enemy links.

1. how long does it take (for a vette) to disrupt enemy links?
  2. when dead, do you respawn at the nearest node or is it all the way to the base?
  3. what prevents an enemy ship to camp at enemy base and spawnkill just to hinder progress?
  4. what prevents the game from becoming stagnant?...besides the will to win
  5. seems like this mode heavily taxes ppl without discord
  6. do artys cover the same area as destroyers with same firing distance?, tier 3 arty covers even more?
  7. will bots be banned from joinning given the fact that they are much more of a liability now? can we at least order them to sit somewhere useful?

April 13, 2018, 3:23 p.m.

First (dumb) question:

Will teams be automatically color-coordinated like in the screen shots? Or, was that just something that was done for demonstration reasons?

Less-so questions, more-so suggestions:

Any chance we could get the basic grids for every map within all game modes? (A grid-based map would be wonderful for callouts and overall coordination. "Corvette spotted in C1.", "Regroup at B4", etc.)

The new map really should be on display for a preview article like this; I'm really surprised that it's not.. especially when talking about Linking and the minimap itself.

April 13, 2018, 3:54 p.m.

Gentlemen,

First let me thank you for the time and effort you put into this game. I am always impressed with it when I log in and play.

I would like to echo the comment regarding a grid system for rapid situational development.

Looking forward to playing this new game mode, and meeting you all on the field of fun!

-DT

"Dreadnought is an amazing game. What makes it amazing you ask? It's the creators who took the time to create modules, officer briefs, and variations in ships that allow a counter for everything, and more importantly different levels of counters. It's like an authentic wargame played in real time where a person's decisions, coordination, and communication with their teammates are an essential component to gameplay that is just as important as piloting their ship. The key to winning is getting in discord, squading up, and working together. Anyone can do it, but few choose to do so." -DeathToll007

April 16, 2018, 11:49 p.m.

This mode looks cool! I think it will encourage people to stick together as a group. Although I'm not getting the special treatment against corvette not being able to have influence. I think it'd be better for them to have a very small amount of influence than non at all.

But then again corvetts are slightly advantaged in onslaught so maybe it's fine to give a mode that disadvantage them slightly?

April 17, 2018, 3:50 a.m.

Oberon#5333 posted (#post-217682) said:

1. do artys cover the same area as destroyers with same firing distance?, tier 3 arty covers even more?

I think giving tier 3 a boost here will benefit the game. Either way I'm looking forard to seeing this in action.

Thanks team

Come join me @ Twitch

April 17, 2018, 2:40 p.m.

Updated //
April 17, 2018, 2:40 p.m.

[Szeron#6174] posted :

First (dumb) question:

Will teams be automatically color-coordinated like in the screen shots? Or, was that just something that was done for demonstration reasons?

Less-so questions, more-so suggestions:

Any chance we could get the basic grids for every map within all game modes? (A grid-based map would be wonderful for callouts and overall coordination. "Corvette spotted in C1.", "Regroup at B4", etc.)

The new map really should be on display for a preview article like this; I'm really surprised that it's not.. especially when talking about Linking and the minimap itself.

We won't be changing the coating of your ships or loadouts, you'll identify friend from foe similar to how you would in other game modes.

The grid for all games modes is an interesting idea. We'd love to hear your feedback on how it fits within Conquest and can be improved before rolling it out to other modes.

Sorry there was no close-up shot of the map in the article. Here's a bigger image showing more detail: https://bit.ly/2EV4EHT

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

April 17, 2018, 7:41 p.m.

Devs,

I would also like take a moment and echo some of the other player’s remarks about the time and creative design that has been put into the game. What a ride so far! I’m almost certain it’s easy to feel challenged overwhelmed by feedback when a new idea rolls out for a public comment. It should also be so noted, there's a sincere appreciation for the time and effort it takes to come up with ideas from concept to game board—and always very eager to hear new ideas, thoughts and follow ups.

Some questions and thoughts about Linking:

“Territory Linking is the heart of Conquest Mode and allows for maximum contribution to a team’s claimed territory.”

• Sounds like it should be interesting and the primary way to win this mode—look forward to playing the new goals and objectives.

“Links can be formed three ways: Ship to Ship, Ship to Control Point, and Ship to Home Base…When two allies move close to one another, they will link and their Influence area will become greater.”

• Is there a standard distance when links are formed for all three link types? (Example: less than X kilometers) Aside from the “mini-map” are there any other visual ques?

“When a Control Point is captured, it will attempt to link with nearby allies.”

• Is there a standard distance when links are formed from a Control Point to nearby allies? (Example: less than X kilometers) Aside from the “mini-map” are there any other visual ques?

“Links can be severed if an enemy player (Corvettes included) intersects between the two linked points, one of the linked players dies, or a Control Point flips ownership.”

As it applies to Corvettes:

• Is there a way to re-establish a link once it’s been severed? If so what are the conditions for this to occur? (Example: Two static ships are linked at the minimum distance to connect. Corvette fly’s between the link. Link broken. Will the link re-establish at the minimum distance?)

“The grid for all games modes is an interesting idea. We'd love to hear your feedback on how it fits within Conquest and can be improved before rolling it out to other modes.”

As it applies to rolling it out to other modes:

• The current configuration of the mini-map in general is somewhat wanting (v1.11). It offers the basics of a forward looking radar (cool ) but leaves regrouping and fleet level maneuvers somewhat wanting after a respawn—and currently no way to adjust radar magnification (ie. 5km range, 10km, 15km.) Granted this does allow for some unique tactics on the opposing team but offers little to help allied players understand awareness, surroundings or calls for a regroup.

Additional thoughts:

Might be kind of fun to add two “pseudo squads” (made up of 4 players per “sub-squad”) within the 8 player teams during ship selection—or some variation. Hanger squaded players would fill one “sub-squad” while the others are randomly assigned within the subset (an 8 player “hanger unsquaded” group would populate at random.) Maybe even assign squad leaders (in sub-sqauds)—with a star icon on the HUD IFF when players mouse over their squad? Maybe, even as a separate mode? (The Comm Wheel would announce “Battle Group 2 Regroup—depending on squad) Who knows…random thoughts…lol

Example:

8 Player Team

• Squad 1: Blue (color on mini-map)
  • Players 1-4 (Ex. Squaded in hanger 1-3, Random 4, etc.)
  • Squad 2: Green (color on mini-map)
  • Players 5-8 (Ex. Squaded in hanger 5-6, Random 7-8, etc.)

Opposing team on mini-map shows up as red.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.