FORUMS

PSA: Matchmaking in Update 1.3.1 or The Tale of the Underdog

Posted: //
Nov. 2, 2016, 12:14 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 2, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

Greetings Captains!

During the first battles that have been fought since we have released Update 1.3.1, many of you have experienced some rather unbalanced matches in which you were pitted against Tier IV Hero Ships, while you were stuck in the starting Tier I ships. This is not an unexpected outcome of the new matchmaking system and I’m here to not only tell you that we’ll make some adjustments to this, that will make it less likely to happen, but also explain why it is happening and why we are not going to completely prevent it from happening:

With progression 2.0 we’ve made many adjustments to the matchmaking system. Matchmaking now takes into account player skill, fleet points (representing the strength of your fleet) and Fleet Tier. We wanted, on occasion, to have a player who is skillful and has a maxed out veteran fleet of ships to be pulled into a legendary match of less skillful players, with newly formed legendary fleets. We didn’t want to necessarily put in a hard line for that and we were hoping to get feedback and data from you. The new system is going for a “Balanced Teams” approach in which your team faces another team that has an equal strength to your own, even though single players might be stronger or weaker than others. This means you can potentially be the big dog and the weaker underdog in the same battle, depending on which player you face in a 1v1 battle, but overall your team is supposed to be on an equal power level as the opposing team.

To achieve this, it must be possible to be matched against players that have lower or higher tier ships than you and even lower or higher level fleets. The current problems that you are experiencing come from the fact that the Hero Ships have been slotted in Tier IV and that there are not yet enough players in this Tier to properly match these players against each other. Therefore they are being matched against players with Recruit Fleets. While this is not ideal, it is a temporary problem that will be fixed once the players are spread out across all tiers and in the meantime we will make some tweaks to the matchmaking settings to make it less likely that Tier IV Hero Ships are matched against groups of lower Tier players.

These adjustments will be temporarily and make their way into the game with tomorrow’s Hotfix. Additionally, the Hotfix will contain some bug fixes and general improvements based on the feedback you have provided since the release of Update 1.3.1 but more details on that later.

For now, we would like to get more feedback on the matchmaking changes that are being implemented tomorrow and we would like to thank everyone here for their participation and their help in improving Dreadnought!

Good Hunting!

Senior Community Manager, Europe "Everything Is A Nail. All You Need Is A Hammer."

Nov. 2, 2016, 12:51 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 2, 2016, 1:36 p.m.

So matching higher tiers with lower tiers is officially confirmed to be intended.
Finally removed DN from my drive. All hope is lost here. I am tired of your stupid ideas.

PS: And no, due the other stupid things you did (such as repairs and a horrendous grind in general), the problem will never be fixed, since no one would even bother leaving the recruit fleets. He wouldn't gain anything from it.

Nov. 2, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

Matching higher and lower tiers isn't going to be effective. I understand what you are trying to achieve, as groups in general will be balanced.

Unfortunately, for a new player base especially, would they understand that their tier 1 destroyer is constantly destroyed by a hero ship, but can have a decent one on one with another ship in a similar tier?

I think this confusion will be detrimental to the player base.

Nov. 2, 2016, 1:15 p.m.

Well, Just an idea, that you probably have had ...

But make killing a tier 4 ship with a tier 1 ship, get a LOT more rewards in credits and XP?

Less if you do it with a tier 2 and so on of course.

I am addicted to Dreadnought like I am addicted to Brake Fluid, I can stop anytime.

Just remember to always shoot the ship being healed and never change tactics and then complain why you lost.

Nov. 2, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

ONE SINGLE tier 3 ship cost 50000 credit is too high for a new player to grind out.
Or even a skillful player, the amount of credit gain is a bit too low.
Thus not many player got to the veteran fleet

尊重Respect友善Friendly包容Tolerance理解Understanding 十萬青年十萬肝,GG輪班救台灣

Nov. 2, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 2, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

Tier's in this game will make all brackets imbalanced. Healing a T4 dread as a T2 Aion when there is a T4 destroyer damaging the dread your healing. It's always a losing battle. There were games i had last night while streaming where the other team had 4 T4 Destroyers and a T4 Healer. There is no way to counter this gameplay, and as more and more people continue to play the game, these possibility will continue to happen.

Something needs to happen to hero ships before open beta/next reset. I will be using only T4 knowing what i do now. There is NO REASON not too. There is 4 in game resources... 3 that can be related to XP and 1 for actual time progression. This means that credits are worth so much more than any of the others. You progress too fast when you get 2 groups of 3 to queue up at the same time full of friends and get matched together, then destroy T1's and T2's because you can now have 4-6 T4's on your team. There is no longer any competitiveness left in this game, just who has the better, higher tier ship, and who abuses the queue system with 5 of their friends.

ONE SINGLE tier 3 ship cost 50000 credit is too high for a new player to grind out.
Or even a skillful player, the amount of credit gain is a bit too low.
Thus not many player got to the veteran fleet

The officer briefings the T4's Hero ships have are spread up across multiple T4 ships. This means that they are worth 100's of hours of gameplay =/

Professional players make a living. Semi-pro's get paid enough to try again.

Nov. 2, 2016, 2:16 p.m.

It took me 64 matches and rougly 11 hours of matchtime to get my first T3 ship by just playing the T1-T2 ships with my rookie fleet. The usual player will probably need 15 hours of game time with roughly 75 to 100 games, this will probably mean they will need at least two weeks to get into a T3 ship and be able to compete with the T4 heroes.

Maybe you should block the tier mixing for this period of time?

Recruit Engineer

Nov. 2, 2016, 2:35 p.m.

While it does seem like a problem that will be sorted in time it’s a very unpleasant experience in the beginning. Enough so I didn’t really care to continue until it was fixed. Random factors have really taken hold in a previously very controlled game.

It’s hard for me to really enjoy the game as it is. I totally understand it’s very much a work in progress but with so many seemingly random factors dictating the fun or fairness of the match… I feel like I should just wait.

Things you have to overcome. 5 random team mates in a larger battlefield causing some stragglers and chaos on levels that seems to intensify their disorientation. IE 2 ships far from the other six repeatedly being destroyed by roaming corvettes. There was little we could do as we were currently barely holding on the turtle we had against multiple T4 ships capable of keeping all of us at bay.

That’s the other problem. He who has the most T4s wins. So not only the 5 random problem. Now you’ve got 5 T4s against 2 T4s. Or the random chance two teams of 3 end up on the same team while the other only has one. There is just so much to out of your hands to counter… it makes the entire thing feel like a gamble instead of a game of skill.

Again… I realize you’ve got long term goals for competitive and such. It’s just very hard to want to persevere through the current problems to actually see the long term. Hopefully this hot fix sorts some of it out.

On the plus side (pricing up for debate) I liked the progression trees. I thought the fair fights were good… if a little hard on new players. Having a large part of the early game built on the sniper class is expecting a lot out of the newbie destroyer class fans.

Nov. 2, 2016, 2:41 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 2, 2016, 2:47 p.m.

Censorship confirmed

http://i.imgur.com/C4ZZSyX.jpg

Nov. 2, 2016, 2:45 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 2, 2016, 2:47 p.m.

I reported your post for Flaming, And I am assuming others did as well.

So you are welcome.

I am addicted to Dreadnought like I am addicted to Brake Fluid, I can stop anytime.

Just remember to always shoot the ship being healed and never change tactics and then complain why you lost.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.