FORUMS

How I feel about the game (new player)

Posted: //
May 11, 2018, 6:58 a.m.

Hi,

I sterted playing a few days ago. My favourite ship classes are Tactical Cruiser, Destroyer, Dreadnought in that order. I really enjoy playing recruit matches. I think Onslaught is the best game mode. The npc ships add so much life to it. Fighters flying in the distance smaller gunships(?) firing at eachother while the player controlled capitalships try the destroy/defend the command ships.

The game looks really good. It performs quite well even on epic settings. The sounds sometimes feel a bit weird, but I don't have any real issues with them. I love how officers talk during battles. "Enemy destroyer erm.. destroyed!"

It is great that you have a character, however I would love some more options to customize her appearance. Some sliders to change her facial features, maybe? I really don't like any presets besides the original one the game gave me. (black lady).

The menu ui is terrible. Every time I open the game it has 5-6 little windows scatered around. Navigating the menues feels unintuitive but I am getting used to it's structure. For some reason the back button never takes me where I expect it would. And, I hate that you have to wait for those huge pop-up icons everytime you unlock or buy a modul.

I don't understand why there is no full tactical map in every game mode like there is in conquest. I wish there was a way to change your radar's zoom level. Also I don't like that you cannot see your teammate's healthbars at all time. It makes healing a bit frustrating.

After playing two veteran matches using my T3 dreadnought I can tell you that I will never play another one ever again. My ship felt completely useless against the enemy ships. And my team was stomped on by the enemy both times. Such inbalance so unfair zero fun for me in veteran matches. As for how the game is at the moment I have no intention to play T3 ships at all.

Thats all.

May 11, 2018, 7:35 a.m.

Rapunca#8119 posted (#post-220134) said:

Hi,

I sterted playing a few days ago. My favourite ship classes are Tactical Cruiser, Destroyer, Dreadnought in that order. I really enjoy playing recruit matches. I think Onslaught is the best game mode. The npc ships add so much life to it. Fighters flying in the distance smaller gunships(?) firing at eachother while the player controlled capitalships try the destroy/defend the command ships.

The game looks really good. It performs quite well even on epic settings. The sounds sometimes feel a bit weird, but I don't have any real issues with them. I love how officers talk during battles. "Enemy destroyer erm.. destroyed!"

It is great that you have a character, however I would love some more options to customize her appearance. Some sliders to change her facial features, maybe? I really don't like any presets besides the original one the game gave me. (black lady).

The menu ui is terrible. Every time I open the game it has 5-6 little windows scatered around. Navigating the menues feels unintuitive but I am getting used to it's structure. For some reason the back button never takes me where I expect it would. And, I hate that you have to wait for those huge pop-up icons everytime you unlock or buy a modul.

I don't understand why there is no full tactical map in every game mode like there is in conquest. I wish there was a way to change your radar's zoom level. Also I don't like that you cannot see your teammate's healthbars at all time. It makes healing a bit frustrating.

After playing two veteran matches using my T3 dreadnought I can tell you that I will never play another one ever again. My ship felt completely useless against the enemy ships. And my team was stomped on by the enemy both times. Such inbalance so unfair zero fun for me in veteran matches. As for how the game is at the moment I have no intention to play T3 ships at all.

Thats all.

I have to agree. Veteran matches are really hard to understand when coming from recruit ... Many people get stuck in tier 3 or stop playing the game at all. Essentially you want to rush to a tier 4 ship as quickly as you can (which is harder than it sounds). As a player who comes from recruit You have to learn all the new modules and tactics, which can be very frustrating but you will get used to it.I recommend playing a healer ship at first, because you can get good scores even when you are only a tier 3 ship.

May 11, 2018, 7:47 a.m.

Regarding the UI, they said in their latest podcast it is being completely redesigned.

Jumping into Veteran can be tough due to the disparity between T3 and T4 ships. My Gravis keeps getting owned by T4 destroyers. You likely got stomped by a squad and they're working on improving matchmaking, but a smaller player base is making it difficult.

May 13, 2018, 5:01 a.m.

As people have said the ui is getting a full overhaul in june/july.

In regards to The getting stomped part my advise is don't rush in. Accept that your opponents are in better ships and have more experience than you. Play accordingly. Make sure you focus fire on 1 enemy as a team by using the fist flag.

If you are in a destroyer don't be afraid to engage at long range and retreat early. Also don't be afraid to rush their healer and trade yourself for him.

A Healer is the best way to learn t4 in my opinion. The single most important thing about healer is positioning positioning positioning. Make sure you can see your team, make sure you have a route planned to the next spot and make sure the enemy can't see you. Keep an eye on the radar and the pointers on screen and make sure your flag every enemy you see. Call focus fire for your teammates (generally enemy healer or whatever's weakest) but don't be afraid to change the focus fire tag to a destroyer or corvette that's coming for you.

The biggest difference is get yourself a squad and talk on comms. This is a team game and a full squad can still play And win against t4s.

Finally consider that if you come up battling And training in a t3 your Going to be a monster in a fully kitted t4

Good luck!

May 14, 2018, 7:54 a.m.

Thank you for the replies, especially for your advices.

I am really happy to hear that the UI is getting a redesign.

I have unlocked a few more T3 ships. I believe I have two T3 Tactical Cruisers. So, it seems I am all set to give Veteran another try.

I will write about my experience.

May 14, 2018, 5:07 p.m.

Alright, I have played about a dozen Veteran Matches and I just uninstalled the game about two minutes ago.

I don't see any fun in Veteran. I was using my T3 Tactical Cruiser as you suggested. But it never mattered at the and what I did. The sole deciding factor in every single match was the number of maximum level players. I assume the tripple crosses refere to that. Every single match I played the winning team had more of those tripple crosses.

I can't find the motivation to strugle to get a better ship, so I can obliterate all the weaker ones. T4 ship outclass T3 ships in every single way. In my experience, in Recruit Tactical Cruisers are stronger than corvettes, however in Veteran my Tactical Cruiser had no chance against a T4 Corvette. It destroyed my ship in 2 seconds.

Then there are these atrocious messafes like: "leave we are farming" This was one of the T4 corvettes huntig T3 ships. And my teammate who said "I don't get why people are so affraid of corvettes" talking from his fully upgraded T4 destroyer sportin three X next to his name.

So, this game is not fun after you leave Recruit. And that means there is no way for me to progress in the game any further, because I will not suffer through hours upon hours in my T3 just to do the same in a T4 so I can get the modules to be able to participate in a match.

I'm sad because I wanted this game to be fun and in the beggining it was but after today I won't play it until some major changes are implemented.

I guess a lot of other players think alike.

Bye!

May 14, 2018, 5:18 p.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2018, 5:22 p.m.

Thanks

On a more serious note, do you recall any of these players' names? I'd like to Shame Wall them!

May 15, 2018, 2:20 a.m.

That is a lovely picture, I have never seen before. And, say no to shame walling! >.<

May 15, 2018, 2:31 a.m.

Updated //
May 15, 2018, 2:55 a.m.

SkyRaider#3584 posted (#post-220138) said:

Regarding the UI, they said in their latest podcast it is being completely redesigned.

Jumping into Veteran can be tough due to the disparity between T3 and T4 ships. My Gravis keeps getting owned by T4 destroyers. You likely got stomped by a squad and they're working on improving matchmaking, but a smaller player base is making it difficult.

I pushed my way through T3s, it was a grind but I was able to effectively take out T4 ships, it was the unfair matches that bothered me. It's tough as a T3 in Vet, but I think it's meant to be. Maybe when there is a large enough player base they will break things up so that each teir has their own matches. Even today however, I still fly my T3s, just for a challenge. A fully fit T3, flown properly using good tactics can be a monster. I see great T3 pilots on a regular basis. Problem is they get tired of loosing most matches, and leave before they get T4 or soon after.

If the team creation was fair, logically, it seems there should be equal T3 pilots on either side, which would seemingly make the problem mute as T3's could engage other T3's and avoid T4s if they want to. Hitting the tab key, and making note who is piloting a T3 or T4 is as easy as hitting the tab button anytime during the game. A good tactic is to target ships you know you are able to kill, as a T3 you actually have many targets who are T3 and even T4. I watched a T3 pilot recently that was very adept and killing T4 tac ships. It can be done. I think another problem is that people are not exposed to good tactics, and don't utilize whatever tactical advantages they might gain with officer briefings or mods. Incorractly fitting your ship compared to your play style is a huge problem. Understanding the mods is tough as a T3 going to T4. It's a steep learning curve that it seems many just don't want to grind out.

Hope all these issues get fixed. For now, know that if you are a T3 pilot, it's not impossible. You can be very effective if you pay attention and are careful, use good tactics and make sure your ship is fitted to your best play style. If you pay attention when your match ends, you will see many times T3 pilots scoring in one of the top three slots.

I'm not tooting my own horn, but I did the grind for each T3 ship, unlocking all of them and then did the same and opened all the T4s, and then played all the T4s that had officer briefings, then went back and completed the rest of the T4s. They are not all fully trained, but I can fly any one of them as they all have T4 mods. I found opening all of the officer briefings allowed for me to play far more dynamically. But it is a horrible, awful grind. If I had to do it over a 2cd time, I wouldn't do it. I can just imagine others grinding their way through all those ships and how they might feel. But it does get better.

I only play veteran matches, I never play legacy. By the time you unlock T5 ships, there are far more people playing in squads, so you find matches that are far more skewed compared to Vet matches. This is the reason you often see people from certain squads, begging for people to que for legacy. They even go as far as to make claims on how much more XP you will make.

Problem is, if you are a single random player in legacy matches that you will almost every single match be on the team that is playing against a squad. If you play as a T4, there is even a larger desparity between T4 and T5 ships than T3 and T4 matches. If I were forced to play legacy, I would quit. Because the games are so skewed in favor of op squads of lvl 50 players against a team with T4's and maybe a T5, you are going to lose. And when you lose in Legacy, it's by a giant margin meaning your team might score 1/4 of what the team with the huge advantage scores. That means the opposing team will make 4 times XP as the players on the losing team. This also means that T4 pilots must grind 4 times as long, to get a T5 as those in a squad.

Until the team creation problem is fixed, I will continue to play vet, and apply the XP I make to my T5 ships. It bites hard, because I honestly would love to play fair matches as a T5, but I am not willing to join a squad for these reasons. I don't want to play in a squad, I find it far more fun to play with randoms. It's more challenging, as you have no idea who you are teaming with or how they play. I don't like the drama involved in being in the same group all the time. I don't appreciate static tactics which squads employ. I absolutely despise healing bubbles of 3 op tac ships, and you almost never see a match where the opposing team does NOT use this tactic. In those matches, you have a mish mash of T4 ships with maybe 1-2 T5's, and since people are learning and trying to train up their T4 so they get T5 they are not willing to fly a tac ship. In any case, a T4 tac ship cannot absorb the damage a T5 ship can deliver, so the desparity is even greater.

It is a great game, but it can be a really good game if these problems are addressed. But until that time, it seems we must suffer through and find our own way. I stopped playing unfair matches, which as resolved a lot of the issues I have with the game mechanics. I just simply avoid playing unfair matches. When the match is fair, and I lose, I still feel good. Like I fought hard but the other team was simply different in some way that I and my team didn't catch onto before it was too late. I learn from those matches. But I learn nothing when the opposing team is stacked with lvl 50 players.

May 15, 2018, 6:54 p.m.

Updated //
May 16, 2018, 12:42 p.m.

As I've posted elsewhere, post Steam launch, the back end team will be taking another look at matchmaking logic and seeing what we can do to try for some improvements. I'm sorry you had some challenges in the T3 to T4 transition. I can agree, that it's not a "slam dunk" until you get a few important modules on your T3s to be able to complete better against the T4s that can have experienced, well organized captains.

I also suspect that once we have a larger player base with Steam and additional languages, most T4 players should be moving into Legendary matches where battle bonuses should drive higher xp and credit gain than vet matches (even if they perform well). That will free up Vets for T3 and newish T4 captains to have room to breathe.

Christian Svensson
Chief Operating Officer, Six Foot

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.