FORUMS

How I feel about the game (new player)

Posted: //
May 15, 2018, 7:13 p.m.

DN_Svenice#5360 posted (#post-220456) said:

As I've posted elsewhere, post Steam launch, the back end team will be taking another look at matchmaking logic and seeing what we can do to try for some improvements. I'm sorry you had some challenges in the T3 to T4 transition. I can agree, that it's not a "slam dunk" until you get a few important modules on your T3s to be able to complete better against the T4s that can have experienced, well organized captains.

I also suspect that once we have a larger player base with Steam and additional languages, most T4 players should be moving into Legendary matches where battle bonuses should drive higher xp and credit gain than vet matches (even if they perform well). That will free up Vets for T3 and newish T4 captains to have room to breath.

So to clarify, the intent of Greybox currently is to address the issues with matchmaking? Why I ask is that it sounds almost like you are counting on player numbers to increase, and believe this will resolve the matchmaking issues. I do not aggree if that is the case, teams will still be created unfairly if the issues with the actual matchmaking are not addressed?

If the intent is to always prevent unfair matches by evenly splitting the players according to rank, skill, modules etc, then I am all on board with that. I am craving fair challenging matches. It is incredibly depressing to hit the tab key and see 4+ lvl 50 players on the opposing team, while I am the only one on mine. I know before the match starts that my team will lose. So why play the game if this is going to be the norm?

I am sticking it out, but if the team creation problem is not addressed, Dreadnought will lose me as a player. Not that one single player makes any difference, but I get the feeling that many others feel exactly as I do. The frustration I am experiencing has come to a point where I have decided I am not going to play nearly as much, or at all until these issues are addressed, and balanced.

Any information about the Dev teams plans to fix matchmaking would be greatly appreciated, something real, something tangible. Those of us who paid for a subscription, your paying customers, deserve to know what the real intent is.

May 15, 2018, 10:41 p.m.

Nexeroff#4718 posted (#post-220464) said:

As I've posted elsewhere, post Steam launch, the back end team will be taking another look at matchmaking logic and seeing what we can do to try for some improvements. I'm sorry you had some challenges in the T3 to T4 transition. I can agree, that it's not a "slam dunk" until you get a few important modules on your T3s to be able to complete better against the T4s that can have experienced, well organized captains.

I also suspect that once we have a larger player base with Steam and additional languages, most T4 players should be moving into Legendary matches where battle bonuses should drive higher xp and credit gain than vet matches (even if they perform well). That will free up Vets for T3 and newish T4 captains to have room to breath.

So to clarify, the intent of Greybox currently is to address the issues with matchmaking? Why I ask is that it sounds almost like you are counting on player numbers to increase, and believe this will resolve the matchmaking issues. I do not aggree if that is the case, teams will still be created unfairly if the issues with the actual matchmaking are not addressed?

If the intent is to always prevent unfair matches by evenly splitting the players according to rank, skill, modules etc, then I am all on board with that. I am craving fair challenging matches. It is incredibly depressing to hit the tab key and see 4+ lvl 50 players on the opposing team, while I am the only one on mine. I know before the match starts that my team will lose. So why play the game if this is going to be the norm?

I am sticking it out, but if the team creation problem is not addressed, Dreadnought will lose me as a player. Not that one single player makes any difference, but I get the feeling that many others feel exactly as I do. The frustration I am experiencing has come to a point where I have decided I am not going to play nearly as much, or at all until these issues are addressed, and balanced.

Any information about the Dev teams plans to fix matchmaking would be greatly appreciated, something real, something tangible. Those of us who paid for a subscription, your paying customers, deserve to know what the real intent is.

I am in the same boat as you, I've been in and out of this game for months. I usually come back after I see news of an update but between the heal ball and the lvl 50 deathsquads I'm usually fed up with the game after a few weeks of regular play. I really hope that their fixes actually fix the problems.

Just a casual gamer trying to play the game

May 16, 2018, 8:24 a.m.

once we have a larger player base with Steam

You make it sound like it's already a done deal while I very much doubt it is. Steam is not a magic pill that gives you free +1000% to playerbase. Dreadnought isn't going to be the only game on Steam, not even the only space sim game and not even the only f2p space sim game there. Fractured Space has been on steam for years and it has an even smaller player base, if any at all still.

If players are complaining and quitting now, what is the reason for expecting it to change with Steam release, especially considering it won't even be in beta by then? All these problems should be addressed before the game drops to Steam so that new influx of players doesn't have to face them, else there's a good chance they'll just leave like the previous ones, but this time leaving a red review on their way out, instead of complaint on the forum.

May 16, 2018, 2:52 p.m.

Ska-boo has an excellent point. To add to it, Sven, I suggest you have the DN team conisder the following:

Steam may create an influx of new players, but it takes time for new players to work their way up to Legendary fleets; in the meantime, while these new players are playing Recruit and Veteran, there still won't be enough Legendary fleet-level players for Legendary queue to be consistent.

So what will the Legendary fleet-level players do? They will keep forming the so-called "death squads" and "seal-clubbing posses" that will terrorize the new players in Veteran; these terrorized new players will quit and give Dreadnought poor Steam reviews.

Sure, if the influx of new players is big enough and sustainable, eventually enough new players may grind through the mid-game frustration until Legendary queues become consistent, but Dreadnought will lose a large number of new players in the meantime, while gaining a plethora of poor reviews.

I suggest the DN team implement a strategy to prevent this from happening before the Steam launch.

May 16, 2018, 4:30 p.m.

The easy "fix" for that would be a wipe. I do not like that option. Another "easy" option would be to disable squads for a few months, but that would turn people who like to play with friends away. Another might be that level 50's can't queue veteran for x months.

Bottom line is nothing can be done quickly or completely stop maxed squads rolling over the new guys other than them not doing it. But for that you need a massive ensentive for T4's to Q legendary. Currently something is stopping them, and personally I think it's T4's not wanting to be food that T3 are in veteran, to the T5's in legendary.

Maybe remove BB cool down for T4's in legendary for a few months after steam launch to keep the people in there away from newer players.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

May 16, 2018, 7:23 p.m.

It's not even necessarily the squads that are problem, but the MM itself, or rather the lack of it. The game can easily match 5 50lvls on one team vs 1-2 and a few bots on another even when everyone is solo.

At least some sort of a matching algorithm is needed that would balance teams by the amount of experience and T4 ships in their fleets for a starter. If there's no squad to balance against a squad, the mm can at least make sure the other team gets the stronger ones of the solo queuers available and if there's no 16 players in total, the team with the premade gets the bot, not the other way around, etc.

May 24, 2018, 11:52 p.m.

I have to agree. Veteran matches are really hard to understand when coming from recruit ... Many people get stuck in tier 3 or stop playing the game at all. Essentially you want to rush to a tier 4 ship as quickly as you can (which is harder than it sounds). As a player who comes from recruit You have to learn all the new modules and tactics, which can be very frustrating but you will get used to it.I recommend playing a healer ship at first, because you can get good scores even when you are only a tier 3 ship.

They are really hard to understand when coming from recruit...

May 25, 2018, 2:33 p.m.

I'm not one to typically complain. But, I've seen a practice going on in a few recruit matches that is just going to deter new people. Within just the last few days that I've played the pc version, I've seen a few very experienced players jump in with corvettes and wreak havoc. I decided to try out the pc version after having played the ps4 version for a while. Getting used to a keyboard is a pain after switching from a controller. I'm not new to the game, just having to get used to a keyboard and mouse. It's really a pain when a lvl 50 person jumps in and flies around with a vette when others are just trying to get used to the game. I can certainly see where a person trying out the game says "screw this" and moves on to something else.

May 26, 2018, 7:06 p.m.

Hello All, this is another new player feedback, as me and my son joined just a few days ago (congratz on successful marketing campaing).

I find this game very good. As Rapunaca pointed at the beginning it looks beautiful - it does matter for me - and is very playable too. I think I stay for longer, already paid a few EUROS for new skins and so on.

Now coming to tiers - haha this is somewhat crazy... First I anihilate everything finishing almost every match as #1 or near the top, only to realize after some time that these are bot matches (correct?). And then T3 ... ugh!!! what a shock. To make things harder (I think so) I took dreadnought ... they look so beautiful ! and as OP said suddenly I started to finish every match at the bottom of the table.

I agree this is somewhat - what word to use ... imbalanced. I'd say imbalanced. In my case it worked well - hard games motivate me to "beat" them. So I started to grind my dred and after a couple of module upgrades I noticed I move up in the ranks. wow!

Nevertheless I think that jump between T2 and T3 should be smoother. I imagine it can irritate or even demotivate people.

Looking at details I find two things especially crazy: T4 corvettes ripping apart my 100% health T3 dred in 2 seconds... recently I worked out strategies (and modules) to prevent it, but ... come on... is there any sence in it ??? Second - the point system. Often I have stats like 5-1-4 ... 7-2-4 etc and I am at the bottom of the table, while some guy 1-5-3 ... 1-2-5 etc is at the top. This is weird. My son commented "we have to learn what gives maximum points" and he is probably right nevertheless I find it weird.

Anyway, from my side you got new player. Nice game !

May 27, 2018, 2:36 a.m.

Updated //
May 27, 2018, 2:39 a.m.

a while ago I was fiction what's new what's old dobavili new Heroic ships or not !!!??

I want to play in the Dreadnought!!!!!

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.