FORUMS

Serious flaws that cause people to quit

Posted: //
May 11, 2018, 7:54 p.m.

A lot has been mentioned on this subject, I would like to express a few of my own observations.

When playing as a single, random player you are at a serious disadvantage. Personally, I prefer to play random, I like the ever changing dynamics, and having to change tactics during the game. In my opinion it is much more difficult, and challenging.

But there are serious flaws with the way teams are created for battles in regards to random single players. I have witnessed this, experienced this in 2/3s of the game, I kept an excell sheet specifically for this reason.

When a squad of three or more Anax of the Belt (3 star general?) team up against randoms, they have a tactic and strategy already figured out, they communicate privately with each other and can behave as one. But that's not the real issue, the real issue is when you look at the teams, compare them, this is what you find.

Most players that reach the level of Anax of the Belt, are in a squad or play in squads. If you do, you have a very high chance of winning unless teamed against another squad, which very rarely happens. Because you are a squad of 3 star anax players, and because most randoms are not that highly ranked you get a team of organized, top players against inexperienced, lower skilled players in lower tier ships. This means, unless those players join a squad, their stats are going to be incorrect, skewed, very low. They will acheive their goals 2/3s slower, their grind is much harder, they have a much more difficult path to grow in the game.

And yet the game allows for both squads and single players. The game allows it, but rewards only those who play in squads. Personally, I prefer playing with other singular players, I don't like the mob mentality. It seems that the devs wish to FORCE players to play in squads. Heavily rewarding those who do, and discouraging those who do not wish to play in squads.

My experience has been hard won, I have only played in squads a few times and didn't like the dynamics, nor the easy no challenge wins. I am not the type of person who will join up in a squad, just so I can ride the coat tails of the mob mentality and statistically benefit from that type of group while having very little real talen of my own. Below average players can join a squad, and eventually score much higher in stats than the best player who plays as a single random.

At least in your stats, so we all can see and keep track, it might do us all well to add how many of each type of squad you have played, random or organized. In doing so, we can all see for ourselves just how skewed this game is, how unfair. I have kept track of myself using an excell spreadsheet, but it would be nice to have it in game.

Until the devs fix this problem, I would suggest anyone who enters into a random squad for a battle, to hit the tab key. If you find the other team has more highly ranked players, and it's obvious you are not going to win because your squad is all lower end players. Hit the escape key and choose go back to hanger, and que again. Interesting enough, I have just recently done this and found 12 games, in a row, that were made up of a squad and randoms. Each time I was the only Anax on my team, while the other had 4 on average, and many times 6. I have to believe those are squads, I find it hard to believe that the problem would be in all randoms but the devs messed up the math. I would have lost those games, and it would have been negative against my stats.

I have also noticed when checking other peoples stats, that those who belong in organized squads, but are poor players, have very high stats. It's obvious these players only have good stats because they are riding the coat tails of their teams, not because they employ good tactics, or are good pilots, strictly because they belong in a gang, an organized squad.

You can imagine for new players, they might play awhile until they can play veteran, then they loose over and over and over unless they squad up. Repeatedly, I wish the devs would drill through the data so they could better understand this dynamic. Under those circumstances, new players will quickly realize that they have a miserable grind before them and choose either to squad up, or quit, or the very few who keep on fighting the grind anyway. But most quit, outright.

If Greybox and the devs want to make this game a success, they must address these issues and make things fair for those who do not wish to play in squads. If the real intent is to force players to play squads, because that is the only way you will be rewarded and accumulate good stats then Greybox and the Devs should express this, force people to be in squads so that things are more fair. Only allow squads evenly matched to play each other. But that means long que times. Really, the only way to make things fair would be to give the percentage of difference in skill and damage as a buff to the team that is lacking, so that DPS and defense are equal. OR to give squads a different map to play and only allow randoms to play certain maps, and squads to play other maps. I think giving people an option to play singularly in random squads means you must also make it equally fair for them, if you are accumulating stats.

Make things fair, or you loose players like you already are. Make them fair, and you will make the game far more interesting and fun. After all, hollow fake wins because you are in a squad fighting lower skilled random players will become boring after awhile. Specially when everyone knows it's not your merit that gained you your stats, but simply because you played with a squad against a team far less skilled. Hollow wins will cause people to leave and look for a more fair and challenging game.

Of course there is also the issue with OP Tac ship exploits, but that's another discussion all together different.

Fact is, unless Greybox and the Devs fix the issues that plague this game, it will never become nearly as fun or engaging as it could be. Pretty graphics and new maps are great, and the Devs have done some wonderful work, but instead of trying to make problems look pretty, the problems should be solved first otherwise it's just fluff. Fix the issues, it's just coding a few extra math equations, maybe a few hundred lines of code, and you fix a major issue with the game. At the same time, you will be generating more income because you will have a larger player base.

This is NOT Eve online, this is a totally different animal. We need a much larger and far more dynamic pool of players. But that will never happen so long as these blarringly unfair team creation problems exist.

May 11, 2018, 8:11 p.m.

While I don't agree with all your points you are not wrong imo.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

May 11, 2018, 9:27 p.m.

I could be wrong, if I am it still means there are serious flaws in the team creation and how it functions. My personal perception through observation is that the team creation is seriously flawed because it allows for organized existing squads who choose to fight with each other against random created squads of far less ability, and serious flaws in the way that tac ships and multiple tac ships function. It is also my opinion it is because of the unfair aspects of this game, the overly extended grinding for those people that causes them to become so frustrated they leave.

After all, we are here to enjoy our free time, not to be miserable because the game mechanics do not function fairly.

May 11, 2018, 11:04 p.m.

While I agree with a lot of things you said, there is an underlying issue that causes this: a small player base. There just arent enoigh people playing right now to correct the match making issue. People complained about too long queue times so they are foeced to create unbalanced matches. This causes less experienced players to quit as its not enjoyable to get crushed by a squad.

The alternative is long queue times. This creates the problem of people not even getting to play the game, which causes them to quit.

The devs are well aware and are doing what they can to fix it. They need to make money and cant do it without players. Theyre caught between a rock and a hard place and right now dont really have a way out because their two options arent good and both cause players to flee the game. Hopefully yhe upcoming server merge helps.

May 11, 2018, 11:48 p.m.

Updated //
May 12, 2018, 12:35 a.m.

Que times might be fixed by simply making an option to choose for how long a person is willing to wait, shorter, more chance you will be in a fight against a squad, willing to wait more time, then you get a good honest fair fight.

What is currently happening is that a few players are playing consistantly, because they win almost every game. Check your friend list stats, you probably know some of these people. Then you have new people, there are far fewer people in between, it's when they hit vet they then decide to leave. The few who do continue end up being top tier players, and some of those regular players.

If the matches were fair, people would at least have the oppurtunity to play a fair game, every time. In doing so, they would also feel their wins and losses had some kind of value. Currently even when you win it's almost always a skewed game heavily in favor of the winning team. That makes it a hollow win, so even winners get tired of never having a real challenge. And loosing constantly over and over will certainly make people flee.

May 12, 2018, 12:52 a.m.

I dont think theres enough players to be able to choose whether you face a squad or not. Im a solo too and I hate squads, and it sucks because you get owned, but I still push through. I get that others dont though. I guess you could institute something where when squads go against solos they get less, but I doubt that happens.

They added the any queue to try and reduce time, but I doubt this helps for not being paired against a squad.

Again, its simply the lack of players that make good match making basically impossible for them. As I said, theyre stuck in a no win situation, a big catch 22.

May 12, 2018, 2:48 a.m.

Updated //
May 12, 2018, 2:51 a.m.

Well after playing for almost a year I've uninstalled. The MM has p**sed me off for the last time.

Lopsided games have become the norm, and I've lost interest, which is sad because the game play is great. But Only winning one game in 5 because you are facing squads or the game just stacks ships one side over the other is not.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

May 12, 2018, 3:21 a.m.

I wouldn't quit, just wait until the devs fix the issues and come back.

I know how you feel, I am tired of loosing as a random to squads, but I pushed through. And now, like I suggested above, I opt out and go back to the hanger when the fight is obviously skewed. I'm also seeing a change in my stats finally by doing so. Fair games are fun, when it's not a fair match it just isn't any fun.

But don't totally give up, I might disagree with you sometimes but you at the very least have proven to be a valuable member of the community. We just need to help the devs realize that they need to fix issues before they can build a player base worthwhile.

May 12, 2018, 3:46 a.m.

Been waiting months.

May 12, 2018, 3:50 a.m.

Same here, if they want to make this game a success, they will figure it out soon, hopefully.

Closed