FORUMS

Why imbalace is a good thing

Posted: //
May 15, 2018, 12:59 p.m.

Updated //
May 15, 2018, 1:02 p.m.

First of all, I did not come up with this.

Why Balance is not fun

So as he points out, too much balance is unhealthy for a game. Imagine Dreadnought with extremely weak tac cruisers, that die extremely fast. This would fix healbałłs, but eliminate the fun of this class. Also Corvettes have to be strong and imbalanced, because this is what makes them so fun. You can sneak onto enemies, troll them (I saw a Corvette tangled in a Vindicta, it was hilarious), wreck them etc. This is fun, although it is imbalanced. Artillery cruisers are fun, because they are all weak, and you have to find a good playstyle, you have to survive. Squads have to be balanced for sure. Maybe split them? Two members into the one team, the other two Squad members come into the enemy team. Sounds fun for me, SOS vs. SOS squad members. One class has to be fast and hard hitting, but does have limited armour. Another one must be strong.

Tl;Dr: Balance is important, but there has to be imbalance, because perfect balance would be boring and game breaking.

Only a kind little advise.

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

May 15, 2018, 2:37 p.m.

Imbalance is fine, but there needs to be strong and effective counters to everything, or else its unfair.

May 15, 2018, 2:42 p.m.

guy starts of from the completely wrong assumption on what "perfect balanse" is, and reaches wrong conclusion by so.

all your examples of what is fun works only one side and is that kind of guilty fun that wears of fast, while your examples of where bringing up "balance" would ruin the fun are not exacly bringing balance either....

May 15, 2018, 3:33 p.m.

What a load of nonsense...

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 15, 2018, 3:37 p.m.

I meant it good, ok? Please forgive me this misleaded thought.

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

May 15, 2018, 3:39 p.m.

You don't know what balance is. Corvettes are not unbalanced. A Harwich will rek them. Adrenalin shot being nurfed is not a bad thing, it will just mean dreads can't sit out in the open tanking with out thinking. Same for tac's. Now They won't have energy for days and will have to make tactical choices when it comes to energy management. People will have to move around the map and not just set up shop and farm away.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

May 15, 2018, 6:08 p.m.

This thread gives me a headache...I don't eve think it's worth the braincells to try and address everything wrong with it.

No, just no.

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

May 15, 2018, 7:02 p.m.

Enterprise_NC1701#2026 posted (#post-220440) said:

First of all, I did not come up with this.

Why Balance is not fun

So as he points out, too much balance is unhealthy for a game. Imagine Dreadnought with extremely weak tac cruisers, that die extremely fast. This would fix healbałłs, but eliminate the fun of this class. Also Corvettes have to be strong and imbalanced, because this is what makes them so fun. You can sneak onto enemies, troll them (I saw a Corvette tangled in a Vindicta, it was hilarious), wreck them etc. This is fun, although it is imbalanced. Artillery cruisers are fun, because they are all weak, and you have to find a good playstyle, you have to survive. Squads have to be balanced for sure. Maybe split them? Two members into the one team, the other two Squad members come into the enemy team. Sounds fun for me, SOS vs. SOS squad members. One class has to be fast and hard hitting, but does have limited armour. Another one must be strong.

Tl;Dr: Balance is important, but there has to be imbalance, because perfect balance would be boring and game breaking.

Only a kind little advise.

I have been playing EVE Online for 15 years. In that time I have seen ships that were grossly overpowered, and others underpowered. We call them cancer in EVE. CCP does a great job identifying these problems and re-balancing resonably fast.

So while it is fun for the people who are using ships that are not fair, way over balanced it also creates an unhealthy game playing enviroment, where you are intentionally making some ship classes fodder for over powered ships and those pilots. It might be fun for you to fly a ship not balanced, but it certainly does not seem fair, nor is it, nor is it balanced, nor does it do anything to retain players that flee the game. And believe me, flying a ship overpowered and having what you call fun, gets really boring after you play that way awhile.

Flying an over powered ship while it might be funny to you, is certainly not a challenge at all. A really crummy pilot could fly an over powered ship and clean house using no tactics, no experience, no real gameplay. If you want to just blast things, play a quarter machine and blast away. But if your fun is by trolling other people and making them miserable, what you really amount to is a digital bully trying to make reason out of your desire to make others feel a certain way so you can laugh.

I can also say this, having played MMORPGs since 1997 (Starting with Ultima Online) and having seen the balancing issues come up repeatedly, over and over in all the MMOs I have played, that overpowered ships, skills, characters, whatever cause people to leave the game unless their is a balancing. Those games that do not balance, end up dying. Those that do balance, end up surviving.

So in short, what you are really doing is encouraging the game devs and community to allow for unfair gameplay, for over powered ships or mods, for the type of environment were few people benefit and only to make others emotionally upset. Trolling is just plain childish.

Ships should have both strengths and weakness. When that is not the case, as in the three tac ship healing bubble exploit, it becomes a problem that should be addressed and balanced. If not, people that you troll and make feel horrible will get tired of playing, because it does not make them feel good the way it makes you feel good to troll them, and they will flee the game.

It bothers me that some people think it's funny to treat others unfairly this way. Not sure how you get your kicks off this type of thing, but it seems to me to be akin to wanting desperately to be a bully. I tend to think that people who want to easily make others victims as people who were bullied at some point, and only desire to treat others in kind. In effect, to bully people by easily destroying them.

I do see often, people raging against calls to fix issues with the game because they do not want a challenge. They do not want to risk losing any game, all they want to do is to win even if it's grossly unfair. These same people are really just cowards, afraid of losing, afraid things will be changed to be more fair, afraid of losing their status as a pilot, afraid that their skills will be exposed as being lacking, etc.

And while expressing all the wonderful things you believe unbalanced ships bring to the game, think about this. Those people who are smart, will catch on and use those tactics or ships, we see this in the 3 tac ship healing bubble exploits, a lot of squads use this tactic now. So imagine a situation where everyone wants to fly the same over powered ship, and then imagine most people in a match do this. Terrible game play. Matter of fact, it's the very fact vetts are overpowered you might play matches with three of them or more at a time. Had a match the other day where the opposing team had 6 corvette pilots, 3 of which were lvl 50 players. Horrible game.

My opinion is that we need to continue to point out to the Devs what is over powered and needs to be rebalanced. In doing so we will actually help this game gain more players, instead of causing them to flee the game because of overpowered ships. Horrible argument by the way, it makes absolutely no logical sense at all.

May 15, 2018, 7:05 p.m.

Brother Belial#4215 posted (#post-220446) said:

You don't know what balance is. Corvettes are not unbalanced. A Harwich will rek them. Adrenalin shot being nurfed is not a bad thing, it will just mean dreads can't sit out in the open tanking with out thinking. Same for tac's. Now They won't have energy for days and will have to make tactical choices when it comes to energy management. People will have to move around the map and not just set up shop and farm away.

You said it far better than I did.

I think the OP is like a few other people I have seen that post similar things in the forums. They want it easy, they want to affect people emotionally in a negative way, and they are scared because talk is moving towards balancing and away from their true desire and intent, which seems to be to make victims out of everyone.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.