FORUMS

What I hate about the new Update - PS4

Posted: //
May 16, 2018, 5:29 p.m.

Back in the old days, Dreadnought seemed more about team play more than anything. There was always a sense of camaraderie among captains even though they've only met on the battlefields for the first time. With the new Top 3 Players end of match screen, all those that contributed to the win pretty much get left out entirely until you toggle over to the main scoreboard. And the stupid "Taunt" emotes our captains do as the Top Player reward just solidifies this deviation away from that "team" mentality and more towards that "I am the greatest player ever" mentality. This is a sad change and was not needed.

May 16, 2018, 6:56 p.m.

Updated //
May 16, 2018, 6:56 p.m.

I even forgot there was something before this top 3 screen and was reminded by your post.

Indeed, that old screen was much cooler. What's of emotes they've recently disabled them on PC and now only 2 captians are animated, while the top one player is locked in stasis and doesn't even breath in reward for his/er performance.

I didn't mind emotes, they should have just let us pick them or just remove the douchy ones. Salute one was ok and I liked the shrugging animation too.

But yeah, the old screen was probably better.

May 16, 2018, 6:59 p.m.

Dreadnought stopped being about team play when they introduced the tiers/grind along with a scoring system that has you compete against your own team rather than the enemy. The top 3 screen just underlines that.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 17, 2018, 10:21 a.m.

Ska-boo#2971 posted (#post-220517) said:

I even forgot there was something before this top 3 screen and was reminded by your post.

Indeed, that old screen was much cooler. What's of emotes they've recently disabled them on PC and now only 2 captians are animated, while the top one player is locked in stasis and doesn't even breath in reward for his/er performance.

I didn't mind emotes, they should have just let us pick them or just remove the douchy ones. Salute one was ok and I liked the shrugging animation too.

But yeah, the old screen was probably better.

It's funny that you mentioned douchy. Lol. I was being more lenient on my words but you said it exactly. The first time I saw that I was like what the heck was that for? I was mad. They inadvertantly made a respectable captain into a douche.

Yeah, I wish at least I was given a choice of emotes. But honestky, this screen doesn't belong in dreadnought. It belongs in something like Fortnite.

May 17, 2018, 11:07 a.m.

Yeah, I preferred the old screen that showed the entire team also. Further, it makes paying for any captain apparel even more meaningless now that you don't even see everyone's.

May 17, 2018, 11:28 a.m.

Updated //
May 17, 2018, 11:29 a.m.

SkyRaider#3584 posted (#post-220595) said:

Further, it makes paying for any captain apparel even more meaningless now that you don't even see everyone's.

Not on PS4 in my opinion. Especially the faces are much more visable in the new version. For players who finish in the top three regularly and want to show off their CGI looks the new one seems to be the better option.

And I think that players who don't finish in the top 3 regularly but do get into it once a while and then see their character get featured feel more positive than just seeing their name on the stats in the third position or whereever it was on the table and then their CGI character in the background with other players not even associating your name with it because there is other things they look at.

If a player doesn't care about the team and it is an intense and balanced match the player won't make it high on the list anyway.

May 17, 2018, 11:35 a.m.

Updated //
May 17, 2018, 11:37 a.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-220518) said:

Dreadnought stopped being about team play when they introduced the tiers/grind along with a scoring system that has you compete against your own team rather than the enemy. The top 3 screen just underlines that.

Yup.

I really wish they would just use a team score instead of all this individual scoring system. This way it acknowledges and rewards team efforts. Allow anyone to scroll through the captains names if they wanna see they're individual scores such as KD, just don't advertise it.

Right now the scoring system tends to reward kills, damage dealt and repairing. Dreadnoughts usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to scoring unless it's a team of dreadnoughts. There's no high reward for taking and surviving damage when not repaired, even though they've probably scored the highest KD in the match. I've had times when I've scored 11 kills and died once but was the 4th highest scorer in the team. Corvettes and destroyers usually take up the top three spots.

They really should incorporate a "class based scoring system". This would reward you based on what your ship is supposed to do.

Dreadnoughts - heavy support - damage taken and surviving -damage dealing.

Corvettes - hit and run - damage dealing and surviving/escaping damage.

Destroyers - damage dealing - coordinated assaults - damage taken.

Tactical Cruisers - light support - repairing - damage taken and surviving.

Artillery - medium support - long range damage dealing - stealth and surviving

Anyhow, the way it looks, it doesn't seem to ever change. Hopefully one day it will.

May 17, 2018, 11:46 a.m.

Patrazor#2302 posted (#post-220600) said:

SkyRaider#3584 posted (#post-220595) said:

Further, it makes paying for any captain apparel even more meaningless now that you don't even see everyone's.

Not on PS4 in my opinion. Especially the faces are much more visable in the new version. For players who finish in the top three regularly and want to show off their CGI looks the new one seems to be the better option.

And I think that players who don't finish in the top 3 regularly but do get into it once a while and then see their character get featured feel more positive than just seeing their name on the stats in the third position or whereever it was on the table and then their CGI character in the background with other players not even associating your name with it because there is other things they look at.

If a player doesn't care about the team and it is an intense and balanced match the player won't make it high on the list anyway.

There are much better ways of showing our captain avatars than both the old version and the current top 3 show. I've seen it done on other games and they look great. They can do it here.

Fact is dreadnought currently rewards individualism and advertises it. Which completely takes away that feeling of team accomplishment. If course the devs are really just feeding where the money is, and the money is in individualism not team. That "I want to be seen as the best" mentality is what sells. Just look at Fortnite and how popular its become. It's pretty crazy.

May 17, 2018, 11:52 a.m.

Updated //
May 17, 2018, 11:56 a.m.

I agree about that Dreadnoughts should get rewarded more but disagree about putting more emphasis on the team's than individual performance.

Imagine carrying a team to a very good result and being the best player in the match but it ended up being a loss. Then you lose and not only does that get added into the statistic but other players in the match won't go and say something like "wow, he had a great match". If you lose you might still be more glad about the match than players who won the match. It's like in Formula 1, a driver who is 5th fastest with his car but his teammate 7th fastest might be more happy than a driver who is 2nd fastest with his car but his teammate the fastest.

I guess it depends what people are in for when they play the game. Most players I'm sure would prefer to finish #1 but still to win the match.

Personally I don't always care about my rank in the match, if I would my second T5 ship wouldn't have been a TC, but when I do care about it I'd like to get rewarded, if it's only my name and character getting featured for a few seconds which only a few people will see.

An option for the post match screen could be something for the future as well.

May 17, 2018, 12:02 p.m.

Patrazor#2302 posted (#post-220603) said:

I agree about that Dreadnoughts should get rewarded more but disagree about putting more emphasis on the team's than individual performance.

Imagine carrying a team to a very good result and being the best player in the match but it ended up being a loss. Then you lose and not only does that get added into the statistic but other players in the match won't go and say something like "wow, he had a great match". If you lose you might still be more glad about the match than players who won the match. It's like in Formula 1, a driver who is 5th fastest with his car but his teammate 7th fastest might be more happy than a driver who is 2nd fastest with his car but his teammate the fastest.

I guess it depends what people are in for when they play the game. Most players I'm sure would prefer to finish #1 but still to win the match.

Personally I don't always care about my rank in the match, if I would my second T5 ship wouldn't have been a TC, but when I do care about it I'd like to get rewarded, if it's only my name and character getting featured for a few seconds which only a few people will see.

An option for the post match screen could be something for the future as well.

PS: Having a word the origin of which was popularised in the Bible as invalid, really? Does 'damnation' work at least?

I hear ya. I've had those many times where I was on the top of my team on a really bad losing match, perhaps they can incorporate something like "Captain (insert name) valiantly fought in battle". This way the captain is recognized for their efforts.

Closed