FORUMS

Scrambler Pulse/Mines

Posted: //
May 18, 2018, 11:07 a.m.

Hello,

I've been playing this game for a good stretch now ( I'm close to T5, but I can certainly hold my own in legendary matches )

I've recently enountered what I feel is a completely game breaking tactic.

This would be the co-ordinated attack of ships equipped with Scrambler pulse/ Scrambler mines.

You can completely wipe out your oppossing team with this tactic. You have a weapon that blinds players for 6 or ( up to? ) 10 seconds. There is no effective counter. ( well please enighten me, and please have a intelligent response. At least better than " warp away" , or "move" ) - Actually I prefer a reply from any players that have actually encountered this and if/how they countered it.

The last match I had where this was used was hilarious. At the end of the match the losing players joked " Oh there he is..scrambled. Wait go...scrambled. Oh cool game, scrambled." It is a completely debilitating tactic. And it was quite a boring match if I may add. The winning players actually laughed and wondered why scrambler mines are still in the game.

Some possible solutions to Scrambler Pulse/mines aside from simply removing them ( and please, the game loses nothing by doing this ) Add a timed delay before the effect is activated? ( This would an ok solution but is really a band-aid ) Or a keypad combination that the scrambled pilot needs to input? ( I like this because everything makes sense and there is a sensible way to counter the effect ) Moar suggestions please

I like the idea of this as an area denial weapon or a trap. I think the modules that use it that way or bombers ( because you CAN shoot them down ) are perfectly fine.

And I understand that there are players that may not have experienced this type of attack with the severity that I am describing. I just like this game a lot and would like it remain an enjoyable experience to as many players as possible.

May 18, 2018, 11:43 a.m.

It shouldn't even affect dreads or tacs, it'd just be annoying. For the rest, you can still see decently enough anyways, and use your sense of location before you got scrambled. I'm not sure why you think anything used in tandem shouldn't be that effective. Almost anything in this game timed in tandem can screw you. scramble shouldn't be the exception. I personally consider scramble the least effective pulse. It doesn't even truly blind you, you can still use your energy and abilities, and it doesn't even really affect 2/5th of the roster (to the extent that it results in death).

May 18, 2018, 1:53 p.m.

Corvettes have a module to remove the debuff.

Regarding mines, if you got hit by a scramble mine, move around as much as possible to trigger all of them, so a single deployment will only last about 10s and not 3x7s.

Also Flak guns can hit Mines and destroy them. So if you see them, bring a Flak gun and kill them.

As all Pulses it is meant to punish teams that fly close. It is a kind of counter to those, so staying away from each other and bringing stasis to prevent them from getting to the sweet spot will reduce the impact on your team.

Now regarding Corvettes, the scramble range of the mines is not as big as that of a Pulse, so if you do not hug each other only one ship should get affected.

Bombers from Dreads can get shot down, and if you do not shoot the Dreads they cannot benefit from Retaliator and this will massively decrease the amount of mines you will encounter.

Rule of thumb for Scramble is to either shield up and keep firing, or put pte and try to fly by memory towards a safer position. This of course means you need to know the maps pretty well, so experience is necessary.

Recruit Engineer

May 18, 2018, 2:18 p.m.

LYB-FooJub#4039 posted (#post-220670) said:

It shouldn't even affect dreads or tacs, it'd just be annoying. For the rest, you can still see decently enough anyways and use your sense of location before you got scrambled.

^^^ What are you even talking about here? Oh this is you telling me to "git good" ( I gets feelings that LYB-Footjob does not play the game )

I'm not sure why you think anything used in tandem shouldn't be that effective.

Tandem tactics should obviously work/be effective. I'm saying since you can completly wipe another team out with next to zero counterplay with THIS TACTIC that it may be a problem.

It doesn't even truly blind you, you can still use your energy and abilities, and it doesn't even really affect 2/5th of the roster (to the extent that it results in death).

^^^ DOES NOT TRULY BLIND YOU??? When hit with SCRAMBLER Pulse??? HAHAHAHAhhaaa. O.K. So let me explain what happens Footjob. When you ( the player ) get scrambled, your view screen is replaced by dazzling static effect. YOU. CAN. NOT. SEE. Yes you can still shoot and move and use modules but lets stop pretending these are race cars we're driving here. You should always be moving and shooting and pressing buttons. It's just harder to get shots on target when the screen is replaced by: zzZZZzzZZZZzzz

The last time Footjob commented on Scramble Pulse: "Scramble just makes it harder to see, whoop dey doo. "

Dear Mr. Footjob, Dreadnought is a really cool fun game. It also has other modes called "Onslaught" and "Team Deathmatch" You can stop playing Havoc and Proving Grounds now but you have to watch out because when you stop playing against bots, sometimes the opposing players can use Scrambler on you and you won't be able to see anything except for a scramble effect on the screen for 5-6 seconds. This is all fine and good until you face a team that uses it in tandem and demolishes your whole team. If this happens to you, it just means you have to git good and learn how to aim and dodge. Oh and be aware of your surroundings, maybe use the force and search your feelings as well.

May 18, 2018, 2:43 p.m.

Updated //
May 18, 2018, 2:44 p.m.

I mean, if you feel a need to search your feelings, please do so. I don't think it's necessary for enduring scramble though, but hey to each their own.

Anyways, nowhere did I say get good. Just that I have a base expectation, and maybe you don't meet it, and it's fine if you don't.

If you can completely wipe out a team with scramble, scramble isn't the problem. It barely affects healers since the majority of their heals are autonomous, it barely affects dreads since they rely more on short-duration LOS skills and defensive skills which don't require you to see. Corvettes shouldn't even be near their team, nor artilleries for the most part (at least not to the extent they can be scrambled). The only ones that'd truly be affected by scramble spam are medium and heavy destroyers. And they should be capable of taking whatever hits are given for the scramble duration, and even respond in kind (who scrambles the scramblers?)

I don't need you to explain scramble to me, considering I've used it and had it used against me, but thanks anyways. It doesn't entirely blind you, you can still make out distinct outlines, and you should still have your whereabouts from before you were scrambled.

Nice quote you have of me. Still relevant, only thing it affects is your vision and that's only to an extent. I consider every other pulse and debuff far more dangerous. I'd rather be somewhat blind and still able to do things as opposed to see the person about to kill my disabled ship.

Also, for the record, I've never set foot in havoc mode, and probably been in proving grounds a grand total of twice. I despise onslaught with a passion (80% of the "all" queues ffs). Also I should mention I've fought against the exact scenario you're mentioning and you know what me and my team did? We stopped clustering together, and whaddya know we won.

May 18, 2018, 4:27 p.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-220675) said:

Thank you for the reply

I generally can handle corvettes. 1 on 1 are really not a problem for me. Obviously it depends on the Corvette players skill level and tier but I can down corvettes with most of the ships I use. ( Well I am actually still pretty bad with Corvette vs Corvette )

The particulatr match I am referencing was vs 3 Tier V corvettes ( & I think a dread and Destroyer ) and I am now kind of wondering ( based on your reply ) that maybe there is a bug because it was your typical Vette attack run - ( where they stall just out of range of your flaks and hit you with distrupt before finishing with Assault blink or torpedos) except you'd get scrambled and see in the kill feed that there was damage cause by scrambler mines. I am pretty certain I did not hit mines. We were in a group ( A mix of T4 and T5 Destroyers, healer, 1 Dread I think)

It is possible there was one of them dropping them on us but I think for the most part they would drop them when they stopped and the mines would activate do to proximity ( which is what I assumed happened )

Also I just want to add that these were great players we were up against ( One of them easily in the top 5 or so for PS4 ) so I hope I'm not coming across like we would have won had they not used this tactic. It was going to be rough and probably a stomp regardless but they way the match played out it was just a non-competitive waste of time.

May 18, 2018, 4:43 p.m.

Updated //
May 18, 2018, 4:49 p.m.

As a Corvette you can deploy the mines onto enemies and use them a bit like bombs. The danger is just that you as the Corvette get hit by them too when your target triggers them.

Now those mines have a very low cd. So if you did not see the Corvette prior to the deploying of it, you won't be able to shoot back, so the best defence in this situation is to move best using power to engines. Bob a bit up and down to avoid a possible ABW.

To keep you scrambled the Corvette has to deploy a new set, the cooldown of those is just 10s at T4, lower at T5, so the Corvette will be able to redeploy them fast. But movement makes it tricky to stay out of their blast radius.

If you saw the Corvette, fire in its direction, zooming in, the aim-assist should kick in if you were roughly pointing in the right direction.

No clue about the state of energy controls on the PS4. On the PC you can use the hotkeys and even the wheel, however you won't see the wheel.

Edit:

Just to make it clear, the worst you can do in that situation is to sit still and allow the Corvette to redeploy them at leisure.

Recruit Engineer

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.