FORUMS

Remove battle bonus from the game please

Posted: //
May 31, 2018, 11:08 a.m.

HandSolo#4718 posted (#post-221659) said:

SkyRaider#3584 posted (#post-221654) said:

HandSolo#4718 posted (#post-221633) said:

If so elite is already P2W.

First time I have ever heard the term "Pay to Progress". When I googled it, thinking I had missed a significant description of MMOs that might use this, all my google search returned was Pay to Win information.

While looking at pay to win information, I found these definitions:

"Pay To Win. When you are paying for advantage which normal players don't have access to unless they either pay too or will have to grind very long (weeks and months)." - Urban Dictionary

"When money provides an objectively better experience when playing, meaning that if the purchasable content creates a noticeable distinction between the haves and the have-nots.

“Better Experience” includes in game advantages, stronger in game gear or anything that makes the paying players stand above the free players. This is especially a major deal in games with competitions or PVP play." - Game-Wisdom

In my opinion giving those of us who subscribe even more benefits over those who do not really amounts to making this game more Pay to Win, specially considering it's directly related to reducing the grind. It could be that I have missed something and am wrong. I myself pay for a subscription, and I bought content even though this game is still in beta. I do this because I wanted the benefit myself, and to suppor the game. However, I still don't agree that those who pay should receive even more benefit in comparison to those who do not.

In regards to player retention, I think giving those of us who have a subscription even more advantage would only serve to upset people who do not pay for a subscription, and perhaps also cause them to leave.

Pay to Progress sounds like paying to reduce grind, which really amounts to paying to win in my opinion. "Pay To Win. When you are paying for advantage which normal players don't have access to unless they either pay too or will have to grind very long (weeks and months)." - Urban Dictionary

If my opinion is wrong, I would like to know. If you can, please, in the spirit of learning, will you explain how paying to progress is different than paying to win?

A simplified explanation:

Pay to Win: you need to pay real money in order to obtain items that, at higher levels, are required to win. These items are not available in game without purchasing.

So an example of this would be items we can only purchase with money, like some packages with hero ships, that then XP can be farmed from?

And let's be honest, if we earned all available GP through achievements, we might be able to buy a hero ship, but would not be able to convert XP to free XP. So that does seem like exactly what you saying here.

Pay to Progress: all (non-cosmetic) items are are available, however it will take a long time to get them without paying to speed progression.

Pay to win also includes reducing grind by pay money for that benefit. Hero ships again are a good example of this, a player who has purchased hero ships, can stack their hanger with them,accumulate XP, and then pay to convert them to free XP.

In other words Dreadnought is Pay to progress because you can, as an example, access all T4 and T5 ships and modules, but it's going to take you a long time to get them because of the in-game costs. If Dreadnought was Pay to Win, you would not be able to access T4 and T5 ships and modules w/o paying Greybox real money.

Realistically, players who do not pay, cannot buy enough hereo ships or any hero ship, to help reduce grind, a lot of GP we earned is directly related to higher tier ships, so are not accessible for farming XP at lower tiers. They only benefit those who purchase them in regards to reducing grind.

Dreadnought doesn't have its core aspects of the game locked w/o paying, only cosmetic items. That means it's not a Pay to Win.

In my opinion, this game by your own definitions is both pay to win, and pay to progress. Further, it's my opinion that the term pay to progress is a sub definition to pay to win. Just because this term is used by greybox, does not negate it also being pay to win. For me, it's simply a way to promote the F2P concept without taking on the negative aspects of also being pay to win. It very well may be that some who quit, do so because they thought the game was F2P, but then realize that those of us who do pay, have a huge advantage over those who do not, and to obtain those very items to reduce grind, mean they must grind all the way to T5 ships, before making enough gp to buy those items that can reduce grind, which means they must complete the grind, before they make enough gp to reduce the grind they already completed. In reality, they do not have access to the same benefits of those who pay. You call it pay to progress, I understand, and that is your opinion. My opinion is that this is clearly pay to win.

There are many more examples I could state, but I am currently using my phone, and this site behaves glitchy for me. So if you would like other examples I can post them when I am back home.

We can agree to disagree, no big deal. I don't see it as a pay to win because I don't need to pay to access anything in regards to gameplay. Hero ships aren't required to progress, they make it faster. Further, players can go in with a T3 and beat T4s; you don't actually need the better ship and researched modules to win, it just makes it harder. I haven't spent a dime on the game and I can go into matches and come out with the best score. If it was pay to win, I wouldn't be able to do that. I'm sure it's the case with many others too.

May 31, 2018, 11:47 a.m.

I can agree to disagree, I bought a subscription myself, I consider similar to finding crowdsourced efforts. I also bought vanity items, but other than that, I don't convert XP to free XP by purchasing GP myself, I prefer to experience the game, even the grind, how most people do aside from the benefit I receive having a subscription.

I can afford to support games I find enjoyable to play during my free time, so I do. And honestly I would like to see this game evolve and survive as I am a huge fan of space related games where you canp MMOsMMOMMOsMMMMOsMMMMOsMMOMMOsMMMOsMMOMMOsMMMMO

May 31, 2018, 12:10 p.m.

I can't agree that buying battle bonus is waste , i constantly buy it and i am still able to make enough money to buy all modules i want . And i play without elite status

May 31, 2018, 12:31 p.m.

Updated //
May 31, 2018, 8:38 p.m.

I'm all for removing BB, it currently only creates more downtime or pubstoming, like already said.

It also directly contradicts the point of MMR/tiered gates. Because wasn't that the idea to not have highly experienced players in lower tiers and vice versa?

BB could work if there would be no difference between the boni and a working MMR system. But even then, why would you want to play with your recruit fleet, when you have T5s to fly?

The bonus for flying recruit should be in that case higher and it still would have the problem of having highly experienced players playing against newcomers.

The other idea about keeping BB for players without Elite is also not what you want. You don't want to block f2p players from playing, especially when you want queue up as a paying customer.

The only form of BB that I could see, is only a bonus for playing Veteran every 20 minutes. This would encourage a exchange of skill/knowledge between the tiers, without being too terrible far apart. It would also reward those players with credits that decide to make a break from their T4/5 grind.

TLDR: As Anyone said, just normalize it.

May 31, 2018, 12:43 p.m.

KaraMon#0559 posted (#post-221679) said:

I can't agree that buying battle bonus is waste , i constantly buy it and i am still able to make enough money to buy all modules i want . And i play without elite status

No way you're trying to get modules for T5's then lol. 90k credits for one sucks up whatever stockpile you have right quick.

May 31, 2018, 12:51 p.m.

I don't play t5 currently , still i have a lot to grind in t4 :p

May 31, 2018, 1:44 p.m.

Updated //
May 31, 2018, 1:53 p.m.

KaraMon#0559 posted (#post-221679) said:

You earn XP faster than you earn credits, so credits are the bottleneck. If you buy BB then your average credits income drops quite a bit (in vet without elite from about 2.5k average to 1.75k average), so overall you're slowing down your progression.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 31, 2018, 2:53 p.m.

But i watch my credits constantly and currently i have no issues with them . I try to keep my balance over 100k so i can buy 4 t4 modules in short time just in case few ships get xp for modules i want in the same time but for quite long time i bought every battle bonus just to get more xp as money was no issue

May 31, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

money will become an issue pretty fast, believe me. sure, you still gain credits when you buy that BB, but it's 1500 less each time.

Join the official Dreadnought Discord server for quick questions and tips via discord.gg/dreadnought !

May 31, 2018, 3:39 p.m.

TL;DR: Buff Credit rewards.

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.