FORUMS

Both platform players

Posted: //
Dec. 6, 2018, 5:13 p.m.

I play both platforms!

I used to play on PC, but I lost access to it for a very extended period. Recently I started playing on PS4, and have since got my PC back as well.

I have good and bad things to say about both platforms, but I think both have their place. . . PC . . Pros:

-Visuals are a bit better. I can't run the game on epic settings, but I can get it pretty close. Textures are sharper, and background environments are far more detailed.

-The variety of market and purchasable items is much more diverse. More than anything in a game, I LOVE customisation. The extra variety in vanity items, hero ships, liveries, retrofits and event rewards are a huge incentive for me.

-The game feels more populated to me on PC. I get games very quickly, and I see a lot more players with premium paid content. That's not to say the PS4 version doesn't have players! I never have to wait more than a minute or two. But on PC it's only a few seconds, and that's a little more satisfying.

-It's easier to communicate. I'm not a fan of mics and headsets, I feel that they ruin the immersion of a game. But it's immensely gratifying that I can compliment someone's ship, or make strategic calls in the chat window with ease and efficiency.

-The gameplay is more varied. Players on PC seem to invest more time into the game, and end up with more interesting and varied loadouts. I love dominating in a match, who doesn't??? But on PS4 it can get a bit same-y fighting the same stock, unaltered tier 3 ships over and over.

Cons:

-My experience suggests the PC build is more prone to bugs and problems. Previews in the market don't load, the sound is stuttering on a regular basis, and frame drops are relatively frequent. I'm always concerned each time I open the game that something is going to go wrong, the infinite loading screen is particularly frustrating.

-I don't trust the shop. I WANT to trust the shop, I really sincerely do. I want to give the devs my money. But I can't help but hesitate given the glitches I've come across, I'm always worried that something will go wrong during the purchase.

-I don't like the how long the game takes to start up, to a point where sometimes I'd rather play PS4 for no other reason than I can't be bothered to wait.

. . PS4 . . Pros:

-I love the stability. It's not perfect by any means, but it's far more reliable than PC.

-It has a quick "pick-up-and-play" feel to it that allows me to get some gametime in without waiting an age or getting stuck on a loading screen.

-The exclusive hero ship, for FREE I might add, is a nice incentive.

-The Playstation Network has my back if anything goes wrong with any purchases I make, I can buy things with confidence.

-The controls are, to my pleasant suprise, nicely mapped to the duelshock controller. I can do everything I can on PC without any awkward movements. Nicely done indeed.

Cons:

-I don't like how far behind the PS4 platform is with the game's updates. The store seems to be lacking in a lot of things, and that absence is not just limited to PC exclusive items.

-The visuals obviously come with a comprimise on PS4. I'd LOVE to see some PS4 Pro enhancements added to the game!

-The subscription fee for PS+ isn't jaw-droppingly horrendous. But the premium items in Dreadnought's shop are considerably pricey for what they are, and that's coming from someone who spends a lot on cosmetic items in games. But when that is paired with the fact that PC offers an online service for free, it's hard to justify paying for both steeply expensive items AND a subscription fee when that option is on the table. One or the other is off-putting enough, but both can really hurt.

-There's no real way to talk to each other. I want to tell someone when I like their ship, and a rage burns inside me when all I want to do is scream "WE NEED MORE DESTROYERS!!!!". Watching your team derp around in ships they want, rather than what the team needs, is difficult. Sure you get that problem on PC too, but at least you can point it out and hope someone listens.

Dec. 6, 2018, 7:42 p.m.

Gamatech#6679 posted (#post-234125) said:

I play both platforms!

I used to play on PC, but I lost access to it for a very extended period. Recently I started playing on PS4, and have since got my PC back as well.

I have good and bad things to say about both platforms, but I think both have their place. . . PC . . Pros:

-Visuals are a bit better. I can't run the game on epic settings, but I can get it pretty close. Textures are sharper, and background environments are far more detailed.

-The variety of market and purchasable items is much more diverse. More than anything in a game, I LOVE customisation. The extra variety in vanity items, hero ships, liveries, retrofits and event rewards are a huge incentive for me.

-The game feels more populated to me on PC. I get games very quickly, and I see a lot more players with premium paid content. That's not to say the PS4 version doesn't have players! I never have to wait more than a minute or two. But on PC it's only a few seconds, and that's a little more satisfying.

-It's easier to communicate. I'm not a fan of mics and headsets, I feel that they ruin the immersion of a game. But it's immensely gratifying that I can compliment someone's ship, or make strategic calls in the chat window with ease and efficiency.

-The gameplay is more varied. Players on PC seem to invest more time into the game, and end up with more interesting and varied loadouts. I love dominating in a match, who doesn't??? But on PS4 it can get a bit same-y fighting the same stock, unaltered tier 3 ships over and over.

Cons:

-My experience suggests the PC build is more prone to bugs and problems. Previews in the market don't load, the sound is stuttering on a regular basis, and frame drops are relatively frequent. I'm always concerned each time I open the game that something is going to go wrong, the infinite loading screen is particularly frustrating.

-I don't trust the shop. I WANT to trust the shop, I really sincerely do. I want to give the devs my money. But I can't help but hesitate given the glitches I've come across, I'm always worried that something will go wrong during the purchase.

-I don't like the how long the game takes to start up, to a point where sometimes I'd rather play PS4 for no other reason than I can't be bothered to wait.

. . PS4 . . Pros:

-I love the stability. It's not perfect by any means, but it's far more reliable than PC.

-It has a quick "pick-up-and-play" feel to it that allows me to get some gametime in without waiting an age or getting stuck on a loading screen.

-The exclusive hero ship, for FREE I might add, is a nice incentive.

-The Playstation Network has my back if anything goes wrong with any purchases I make, I can buy things with confidence.

-The controls are, to my pleasant suprise, nicely mapped to the duelshock controller. I can do everything I can on PC without any awkward movements. Nicely done indeed.

Cons:

-I don't like how far behind the PS4 platform is with the game's updates. The store seems to be lacking in a lot of things, and that absence is not just limited to PC exclusive items.

-The visuals obviously come with a comprimise on PS4. I'd LOVE to see some PS4 Pro enhancements added to the game!

-The subscription fee for PS+ isn't jaw-droppingly horrendous. But the premium items in Dreadnought's shop are considerably pricey for what they are, and that's coming from someone who spends a lot on cosmetic items in games. But when that is paired with the fact that PC offers an online service for free, it's hard to justify paying for both steeply expensive items AND a subscription fee when that option is on the table. One or the other is off-putting enough, but both can really hurt.

-There's no real way to talk to each other. I want to tell someone when I like their ship, and a rage burns inside me when all I want to do is scream "WE NEED MORE DESTROYERS!!!!". Watching your team derp around in ships they want, rather than what the team needs, is difficult. Sure you get that problem on PC too, but at least you can point it out and hope someone listens.

It's really nice to see that more people are playing on both platforms ! And i can tell by your post that you have spents some time on both just by your list of pros and cons. as they are pretty spot on. I know you said that you are not a fan of a headset and mic but that is a great way to communicate on ps4. As you can speak to the whole team and not just your squad plus you have the choice to speak to your squad only. I like the headset just for the fact of talking to the whole team so you can say " hey ..nice ship, loadout, or stop being a dumb***, need more of whatever ship, focus fire that ship. The dualshock controller is actually a nice layout infact I use it when playing on pc with some help from a third party tool that gets it about 98% the same as on console. I have supported the game through the market more so ps4 because I started there about 10 months before starting on pc. But I still continue to support the game when I can regaurdless of the platform but it IS a kind of a drag to have to buy the same stuff twice. Also personally wish that in some way they could make it so that it is a unified account that carries progression, market items as a single account. When it comes to haveing PS+ you don't need it just to play dreadnoght because it's f2p, in fact my PS+ subscription ran out in October and I am still able to play. However that subscription is a great value witch I won't list the reasons why here.

Dec. 7, 2018, 9:15 a.m.

Really, Dreadnought is exempt from the ps+ requirement?

Drat, I only got it because I thought I needed it :L

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.