FORUMS

QoL and other things.

Posted: //
July 1, 2018, 7:52 a.m.

I really don't know where else to put this so I am putting it here. This is mostly a list of things I have found annoy the absolute ever living **** out of me that I for one would like to see fixed.

Thing 1) Shot occlusion by "invisable walls". Idk what causes it, maybe its the perspective shift from zooming in, maybe its the hit boxes on terrain are not trimmed properly. It's a problem I haven't had to deal with in a game since like 2004 =\ it is frustrating and makes the game feel half assed. Please fix it.

Thing 2) Health bars going invisable. I would prefer it personally if the stupid things never disappeared at all and just got smaller based on perspective or something. Even if they didn't get smaller I would prefer they never disappear. There is nothing more annoying to me then being 2 feet from an ally and I can't see his health unless I aim at him when I am trying to keep another guy alive. In a tactical game I want the ability to react to the situation and I find it infinitely frustrating when I don't have the information I need to react properly. If you aren't willing to make this change as a standard thing, please at least consider adding an option to keep ally/enemy/both health pools visable at all times. Also if you have it set to remove ally health pool when they are behind terrain....just don't...

Thing 3) Stated already but the lack of a proper matchmaker is annoying. I keep seeing one sided games left right and center. Whatever your system currently is for deciding how to divy up the teams it just isn't working. I know that this is a long term problem but I am mostly mentioning it to add my voice that this IS a problem and it does need fixed long term for this game's future.

Thing 4) Although a minor thing, the lack of a large scale map in non conquest game modes is kinda crappy. All games of this genre have it, I think most of us expect it. If there is some kind of tactical reason for it by all means but I would rather know who is where in a pinch so I can react better to allys that may need backup or holes in the enemy line where I can take advantage. The current map UI doesn't give much on that in non conquest game modes (but it does in conquest which I find odd).

All in all its mostly small stuff and I am sure my tone and attitude are a bit aggressive because I am writing this coming off a rather aggressive losing streak on 4 hours of sleep in the last 48 >.> butttttttttttt the fact remains I think everything I am saying here is important and I thank you in advance for your consideration in these matters.

July 1, 2018, 12:53 p.m.

For the invisible shots, yeah, its annoying. I got killed 3 times in one game this morning and had no clue i was even being hit.

Regarding map size, I think given the speed of the ships (as in really slow) large maps would take too long to traverse and players would spend too much time just trying to get to the battle.

July 2, 2018, 7:31 a.m.

Wasn't saying anything about map sizes as in the physical size lol I meant mini map. Probably my own lack of clarity there.

July 2, 2018, 8:25 a.m.

BlackAce#4891 posted (#post-222916) said:

Wasn't saying anything about map sizes as in the physical size lol I meant mini map. Probably my own lack of clarity there.

I know it isn't too clear in the game's mechanics, but the minimap is scaled based on what ship you are playing. It is balanced in that way, and giving certain ships different sized maps would somewhat give them an advantage, despite the fact that not many people seem to use them. For future reference, from what I can tell, the minimap shows just past the distance your main guns can reach (meaning artillery cruisers have the largest minimaps and corvettes have the smallest).

I personaly like the zoomed in minimap- the one on conquest works in that gamemode, but it makes it really hard to see if anything is coming up behind you

Join the Community Discord!

https://discord.gg/uvUsYP

July 2, 2018, 8:54 a.m.

Updated //
July 2, 2018, 8:56 a.m.

1) I agree

2) I disagree. I think this would make it too easy for healers and too hard for flankers/surprise attacks.

3) I agree

4) I agree, a full scale map where you can see your allies and spotted enemies would be nice. Also I want this minimap back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsJ71jVp3JU

July 2, 2018, 9:35 a.m.

Ortis#6925 posted (#post-222921) said:

2) I disagree. I think this would make it too easy for healers and too hard for flankers/surprise attacks.

Yes, considering people already think that healers are too powerful it suprizes me that noone considers this to be a weak point

4) I agree, a full scale map where you can see your allies and spotted enemies would be nice. Also I want this minimap back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsJ71jVp3JU

I actually (for reasons I stated in the post above yours) think it is actually more of an advantage for the minimap to be slightly zoomed in. Though I do agree that it would be nice to have all team chats on the chat wheel thing to show up in it- not sure if that is a bug or intentional. I also have never seen that older minimap before, is it in closed beta? It does look nicer than the one we have now, albiet a little less clean.

Also, just out of curiosity, how did you manage to put the youtube link in your post? Whenever I try to put links I get a 404. In fact I would be surprised if this went through because I quoted you...

Join the Community Discord!

https://discord.gg/uvUsYP

July 2, 2018, 12:12 p.m.

I am not talking abut changing the minimap to a full scale map (like in conquest) but rather have a key (like "m") that shows you the whole map on your whole screen. Many games have that option, maybe I should have been more clear in my post.

The video is one of the first videos on the official dreadnought youtube channel, not sure if closed beta or even older (I just copy-pasted the link and it worked). The minimap in the video shows the map terrain which I consider the most important feature compared to the one we have now, which pretty much is just dark-blue nothingness.

July 2, 2018, 7:18 p.m.

Yea having a zoomed in minimap in the moment and having a toggled m map would be a nifty way of handling it. Would be kind of the best of both worlds situation where if someone is focused in on the mini map they might still be surprised but the tactical option for a bigger map is there for those with good awareness.

As to the health bars thing making healing even more OP.....well I am sorry but I disagree both as a healer and a corvette player because I do both equally =\ if healing is too strong then it needs to be balanced in other ways, removing the ability for a healer to do his job effectively from a gameplay point of view as a means of balancing is just poor game play design. It frustrates the one playing healer and reduces the feel of the game experience for the one healing. I personally don't think healing is too strong as that comes down to team play and overall team comp. Heck a corvette with assault blink warp can nearly 100-0 a tac cruiser in seconds if he times his attack right =\

Sorry guys but you will never be able to convince me that limiting information on the battlefield is a good way to balance a game like this....it turns it more into a game of who got lucky enough to have their health bar pop up instead of who played their ship better.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.