FORUMS

Haaalp - How To Destroyer?

Posted: //
July 31, 2018, 7:52 a.m.

Updated //
July 31, 2018, 7:53 a.m.

Noob here. Having a fair bit of fun with the game. I really enjoy playing the Dreads and Tacs. And I could figure out the game with the Arties and Corvettes - didn't like the Arty much, and the Corvette is fun - until someone's got your number LOL. But for the life of me, I can't figure out the Destroyer game.

I had one game today where I went 1-2-9, most assists of anyone on my team and IIRC least deaths. I thought I was doing what I was supposed to do - but I got worst rank in the match; something like 800 points for it.

I'm in a Dola (as I'm working for that sweet-lookin' Okhta), which starts you out with a missile module, a torp module, the aoe weapon boost and a cooldown reduction module. And I just can't figure this out. With this module setup, I'm supporting the Arties and Dreads, boosting their weapons and providing support fire, right? But the game punishes me for doing that. I notably don't have the firepower to take out anything except a tac, corvette, or arty. Obviously sometimes I can go toe to toe with other Destroyers, but all I can do is nibble at Dreads and eat their fire, leaving them for the arties and other dreads. Even with the weapon boost, full module load, and an energy to weapons, I can't tangle with other dreads on my own, and I find myself a more frequent target than my dread "tanks" that I stick next to, just because I'm big, slow, and not nearly as tough.

Does the Dola just suck in particular? Or what should I be doing? I notice the reload time on the Dola primary guns is just insanely long compared to all the other ships I've driven, I believe it takes an entire five seconds or so? If my target hasn't repositioned, they're usually healing by then anyway.

I'm really confused and I can't figure this out. Getting ~1k points a match is draining my sanity - I don't even want to stick with this dumb ship, I wanna get to those tac cruisers on the tech tree! Haaaalp!

I'm also not entirely sure of the difference between missiles and torps. Missiles go up and over, torps go up and then come down again? What's the purpose of the Detonate tool?

July 31, 2018, 9:02 a.m.

Updated //
July 31, 2018, 9:06 a.m.

Well Destroyers in the game, like real life are made to suport larger ships. While they have pretty good firepower (especially JA destroyers), you can't go head to head with a dread really and tanking is harder in the game. You'll have to pick your targets carefully, use the terrain and it's best to hang by another ship. If you're next to a dread and they're hitting you (basically because less health and defense), try positioning yourself around the dread so it takes teh fire instead. You can always outmaneuver a dread with a destroyer.

Regarding the Dola, it's not very good. Blud is significantly better when you get it. It's weapons aren't that strong so if you're looking for a tank ability you're better off with JA imo. Regarding its reload time, it's longer than the others because it's magazine is a lot bigger; it takes a while for it to run out.

For torps/missiles, the torps fire fewer and have a blast radius whereas missiles tend to be swarms and only hut the struck target. The point of detonation is that if they're going to miss, you can hit detonate and maybe still catch the enemy in the blast radius.

What game modes are you playing that you're scoring 1k?

July 31, 2018, 9:11 a.m.

SkyRaider#3584 posted (#post-224168) said:

Well Destroyers in the game, like real life are made to suport larger ships.

See, that's what I figured, but the game doesn't reward you for playing that support role correctly. The points scheme is plainly made to favor destroyers for kills, not assists or whatnot. So then I am playing it right, it's just... not calibrated yet, or something. Darn. Well, I guess I'll have to grind out my 75 matches or whatever to get through it. Not quite what I was looking for.

Hokay!

July 31, 2018, 9:23 a.m.

starsrift#7310 posted (#post-224169) said:

See, that's what I figured, but the game doesn't reward you for playing that support role correctly. The points scheme is plainly made to favor destroyers for kills, not assists or whatnot. So then I am playing it right, it's just... not calibrated yet, or something. Darn. Well, I guess I'll have to grind out my 75 matches or whatever to get through it. Not quite what I was looking for.

Hokay!

Well you can play different if you want. I'm normally top 4 in matches playing Onslought which going for the command ship helps, but I also tank a lot even with destroyers (probably why I die more than I should). You get points for tanking and damage dealer (and other's I don't recall). You could also stick to attacking non-dread classes that will increase your chance of a captain kill.

Also look for points through other actions. If you kill the player that killed you last you get Payback, or if they killed a teammate you get Avenger. There's a thread from the past week that lists these, so I'd suggest you dig it up and take a peak.

July 31, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

The range on the Dola's guns is huge, just keep your distance and you can easily plug away at a dread without them hitting you. But yes, as mentioned above, it is pretty much the worst destroyer. The Blud, however, that's a whole other story...

July 31, 2018, 10:50 a.m.

starsrift#7310 posted (#post-224169) said:

Hokay!

If a ship gets a kill under the effects of your weapon boost pulse(main or secondary guns only) you get points for that. You only get points from debuffs if your the one getting the kill while they are under the effect. Support has needed an overhaul for awhile now. personally i think if anyone gets a kill while a ship is under a debuff, who ever applyed said debuff should get points too. After all they did assist in the kill.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

July 31, 2018, 12:43 p.m.

There's a reason why I christened my Dola as "T-urd Wagon"; what a piece of feces...

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.