FORUMS

Steam

Posted: //
Oct. 13, 2018, 4 a.m.

DN_Svenice#5360 posted (#post-226243) said:

The team has been working weekends and up to 2AM/3AM every night. We will be working again this weekend crazy hours.

That is crazy hours, no rest for the wicked i guess

Oct. 13, 2018, 7 a.m.

So this is true. Game was disabled and migration was started AFTER game was disabled. I thought flat earth is stupidiest thing you can find on the internet. I was wrong!

Oct. 13, 2018, 7:51 a.m.

Starting migration before disabling servers would have required extra servers on the side running so you guys can still play but knowing all progression wouldn't be remembered since migration would have already started.

So we did a proper, turn off, move data to new server/back-end etc, turn on.

Welcome back btw. : )

French Community Manager

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Oct. 13, 2018, 8:52 a.m.

Tyrel#8199 posted (#post-226263) said:

DN_Svenice#5360 posted (#post-226243) said:

We're trying actively to get F&F up as soon as possible.

The team has been working weekends and up to 2AM/3AM every night. We will be working again this weekend crazy hours.

Huh, what makes this so complicated, did you have to re-write the complete back-end or the networking parts, or what's wrong with it now? I mean, you already had the game up and running for quite some time now and open for everyone, so howcome that suddenly it can't take a couple dozen people playing? What changed so much?

The whole backend had to be changed for the game to work on steam. Then they had to copy over everyones progression. It's not a drag and drop.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

Oct. 13, 2018, 9:07 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 13, 2018, 9:11 a.m.

DN_Tytyes#8983 posted (#post-226270) said:

Starting migration before disabling servers would have required extra servers on the side running so you guys can still play but knowing all progression wouldn't be remembered since migration would have already started.

I do not buy such explanations. I have over 20y experience in IT, programming, DB, VMs. You had old backend in working condition. You just needed small 100$ worth a month AWS server environment to make steam version ready to go. Once it is ready, as last step would be to open few hours maintenance window to transfer player progress tables to new environment and migrate existing backend to additional cluster members of new one/or just copy AWS one over your existing backend (depending on what your existing backend really is).

I just cannot imagine doing it not in parallel. It is just too risky.

On top of that, if you have no Steam version ready yet, do not link users to Steam. It makes people confused. Make big announcement on front page to let anyone know at a glance.

Oct. 13, 2018, 10:30 a.m.

Piasecznik#8174 posted (#post-226273) said:

DN_Tytyes#8983 posted (#post-226270) said:

I do not buy such explanations. I have over 20y experience in IT, programming, DB, VMs. You had old backend in working condition. You just needed small 100$ worth a month AWS server environment to make steam version ready to go. Once it is ready, as last step would be to open few hours maintenance window to transfer player progress tables to new environment and migrate existing backend to additional cluster members of new one/or just copy AWS one over your existing backend (depending on what your existing backend really is).

I just cannot imagine doing it not in parallel. It is just too risky.

On top of that, if you have no Steam version ready yet, do not link users to Steam. It makes people confused. Make big announcement on front page to let anyone know at a glance.

The game coming to steam has had a major overhaul, it is notthe same game. I too have years behind me working for global company's such as EDS and HP enterprise. Data centres and games are different things. Doing things as you said runs the risk of "Data loss". They know what they are doing.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

Oct. 13, 2018, 12:41 p.m.

U should remove PLAY ON STEAM button... Its confising... Just say the truth... SERVERS DOWN, BE BACK SOON ON STEAM!

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.