FORUMS

Thoughts on the UI

Posted: //
Oct. 14, 2018, 9:57 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 14, 2018, 11 p.m.

While I do like the idea of an updated UI, personally I feel it took a little bit of a step backwards. The menu looks like something I would see in a web design class at school and it is incredibly bulky.

Another downside is the menu for playing the game. I lose count of how many clicks it take to actually start the queue.

The tech tree menu is....displeasing to look at to say the least. Why can't I hover over modules to see what they are before I equip them? Why are the icons for each module so huge that they seem to be crammed in to fit in the screen because they are so big?

The market's owned and unowned items mixed in together is crazy, there's no organization.

The ability to do a 360 degree rotation to look at my ship is great and all but all of the menus eclipse half of my screen that there is almost no point.

To end my little complaint aspect, all buttons or icons are incredibly bulky and makes everything feel claustrophobic.

Edit* This is specifically things I have noticed that I personally would like better. Nothing I mentioned above break the game in any way or make it unplayable.

Oct. 15, 2018, 12:56 a.m.

The ability to do a 360 degree rotation to look at my ship is great and all but all of the menus eclipse half of my screen that there is almost no point.

and how about that +-5 feet zoom with the mouse wheel....

Site | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | GameMaker

Oct. 15, 2018, 1:29 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 15, 2018, 1:32 a.m.

I'd just written this up over the last day or soand was wondering where to post it when i found this thread.

---===+++===---

Making UI for PC looking like PS4 STYLE for consistency is good. But for a PC UI its really bad functionally. The old UI was much easier to navigate quickly. Its good for PS4 people wanting to play on PC. But this interface takes sooooo long to get anywhere and 1 million clicks.

Why does it take 5 clicks to get to start a game from the main screen. Previously it took 1 click

No quick button to go between loadout and tech tree.

My point is that before you didn't need to back out of each individual screen, you could just click menu bars at the top you wanted so you could quickly switch screens. I hate having to go back 3 menu's and then forward 4 menus' to get to something that used to be 1-2 clicks from the main screen

360 spin of your ship when in hangar.... but the main screen ISNT the hangar, you have to goto fleet -> rec/vet/leg -> select your ship -> edit loadout (4 clicks) to get to the screen you can do the 360 rotation.

Unclosable Market screen cycling through continuously is very annoying and distracting. Beating people over the head with advertising isn't going to make them buy.

Everything takes up more space on screen, hence you can fit less on the screnn, It feels like i need to turn up the resolution to get my screen space back... nope already at 1080p.

Going into loadout doesn't show the level of the weapons or modules at a glance like it did before. Nor can you see all the possible upgrades layed out before you. You have to go through each module and check EG. I have Bomb Catapult but i cant see if its 2 or 3 on the icon, i have to actually select it to see the description.

Update 24 hours later: loadout doesn't show you AT ALL. You now only see Primary and secondary, perimeter and internal. NOT THE ACTUAL CONTENTS OF THE SLOT WITH THE WEAPONS YOU CHOSE. Hence if you cant remember whats on your ship, then it takes another 10+ clicks to find out.

I finally found the way to go from the loadout of the ship to the tech tree. BUT YOU CANT GO BACK with a menu option at the top, only ESC.

When looking at the tech tree its no longer immediately obvious which ships i actually own, they used to be highlighted and any ships i didn't have were greyed, now all ships look grey.

The Launcher still doesn't close when the game opens.

Ahhhh They added in a new 'beep' that beeps every time you hover over any menu element AND YOU CANT TURN IT OFF. This will drive me crazy and i'll hear those menu beeps when i try to goto sleep (happened with a previous game that did this). PLEASE Give me the option to turn off 'menu beeps'

Overall i think the UI is a step backwards.

Oct. 15, 2018, 7:49 a.m.

Hi.

I wrote the same thing about the menu's being terrible and everything seems way worse.

Seem like a 1990's game.

Even with my graphics on Epic, it still looks horrible.

Your supposed to get better not worse.

AS a paying game supporter customer. I will not be spending another dollar on this game until it's better.

This game has the potential to be great.

Bronxwars.

Bronxwars

Oct. 15, 2018, 8:07 a.m.

Bronxwars#7708 posted (#post-226403) said:

Even with my graphics on Epic, it still looks horrible.

I disagree, i think it looks great. my complaints are all about the useability and the layout and the fact that it takes soo long to navigate your way around.

Oct. 16, 2018, 8:01 p.m.

Ui feels like it was designed for mobile devices based on layout and size of elements.

Imagine it on a cellphone or tablet and it kinda makes sense.

For a PC or console though it is ugly, unintuitive and laborious to use.

Oct. 17, 2018, 12:41 a.m.

Yes, it's terrible and they need to rollback.

Oct. 17, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

My personal biggest issue with UI was "Play" button hidden underneath some secondary info panel, which needed to be slided back and it doesn't even look like it can be moved.

How someone could even think that making the most important button in entire game hidden is a good idea? Especially that it's not "just some button", its the one and only way to start a game, if you can't find it, your not gonna be able to join battle.

Oct. 18, 2018, 3:12 a.m.

Mortimer#0942 posted (#post-226585) said:

My personal biggest issue with UI was "Play" button hidden underneath some secondary info panel, which needed to be slided back and it doesn't even look like it can be moved.

How someone could even think that making the most important button in entire game hidden is a good idea? Especially that it's not "just some button", its the one and only way to start a game, if you can't find it, your not gonna be able to join battle.

I literally just had this, I had to go to youtube and watch a video to find it.

Oct. 18, 2018, 3:55 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 18, 2018, 3:56 a.m.

Is it serious? Are you going to brag about this UI today ? https://twitter.com/UnrealEngine/status/1052592354878734336

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.