FORUMS

Matches are too short

Posted: //
Oct. 16, 2018, 2:24 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 16, 2018, 2:27 a.m.

I've brought this up in the past already, and now that I got back to the game, I feel the same way again. Matches are just too short, making them feel less serious and also your actions as a player less relevant. A great many times there is no back-and-forth, there is no trying different tactics or anything along those lines, because the match ends abruptly, way before a team could adapt to what their opponents are doing and counter it. Mostly it's just a roflstomp, kaboom, win! Exactly NOT what I'm looking for in this game...

The only time matches reach acceptable lengths is when 2 well-working healballs end up in a standoff.

I suggest to increase match duration simply by adjusting the scoring system, and also increase match rewards accordingly, to avoid enraging the playerbase.

Matches where one team is very clearly stronger than the other will still end quickly, as they will have no issue accumulating points in rapid succession. In the meantime better balanced teams will get a more immersive and fun experience, by letting them really shell it out against one-another.

P.S.: I think a great many players that have loved and are missing the old match type (that I can't remember the name of anymore), where you had a Captain selected and had to survive as a team in multiple rounds, have loved that game mode at least partially because of this: since it was longer and had multiple rounds, you had a real chance to adapt, to turn things around, to try different approaches... The current matches totally lack this!

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

Oct. 16, 2018, 7:01 a.m.

Team Elimination? Yeah it simply was not popular enough, many people just dropped from TE games as they where counter productive for earning XP and Credits if you died early in the match.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

Oct. 16, 2018, 7:08 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 16, 2018, 7:09 a.m.

Yeah, Team Elimination was it. That game mode had a greater tactical depth that I'm missing a lot... I hope it'll return one day, the only thing that sucked about it was the way the fighters were implemented.

Back on topic, I think all the other game modes could gain a similar tactical depth, if matches were like... 30% longer...

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

Oct. 16, 2018, 5:25 p.m.

So basically you are saying you don't like matches that are too one sided, but if you can't adapt to what the enemy is doing in one death, you won't be able to do it over the course of the match. Even if you die once and pick a ship to counter, now the enemy has the initiative against you and has a chance to trade with you 1 for 1. This means they maintained their advantage AND can now repick a more rounded ship, or prey upon your teammates finding you are a tough customer. The best case scenario in losing intiative is you switch into a ship, kill them without overextending and dying, but then they have the option to pick a counter to kill you leaving the intiative once again with your opponent.     The point is, even if you increase match length you are still likely to lose if your team takes the first major casualities, now its a slow strangle as they pull further and further ahead while you can only watch for the next 30 minutes. The only result of this is more disconnects, and a greater chance to earn points unless they scale back the values based on match time. The game is good as it is, each moment matters fsr more than you think, you say nothing matters as there is so little time to react HOWEVER; this means that each moment matters twice as much, live as long as you can, ferret out every bit of info on your opponents modules and OB's even if you can't kill them. Perhaps you pop a Desperate Measures instead of giving up, allowing your team to finish them more easily, or maybe you even get a kill because you struggled with all your might to extend the fight and outplayed them as they got overconfident to finish you.

Oct. 23, 2018, 1:54 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 23, 2018, 1:57 p.m.

OP is right, but its not game mode that is bad and kills battle immersion, but terrible matchmaking, and poor ship statistics (good corvette player is the KING of any battle).

This is not Dreadnought game anymore, its just an arcade shooter now. When i registered games was long, more tactical, and had balanced teams. Also my Dreadnought ship could take a beating, now, one corvete on my tail with decent player and im dead in seconds (where is big ship armor or shielding ?), the same goes for deystroyers (secondary arnament can't kill corvette on one magazine) and snipers are free target practices for corvettes. Im decent player (good K/D ratio), but i can't pull entire match alone, and im ending mostly in loosing team, cuz im paired with boots or poor/beginer players. So it is DREADNAUGHT game focused on big ships, or another poor arcade shooter like Star Conflict ?

Ps: Sorry for my bad grammar, im not English native.

Updated //

I've seen reviews of the game where the reviewer said they are too long and that's why the queu times are so long. Personally I would like longer matches, or rather a distinction between Onslaught and/or TE with one mode having longer matches (currently usually Onslaught, though I'd prefer if it was the other way around) and the other having shorter ones, but to get to the point, I don't think that match length is necessarily a factor over the games success, especially with modes that can have longer matches mostly than others.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.