FORUMS

The reason I'll never make it to the upper tiers

Posted: //
Oct. 18, 2018, 1:11 a.m.

At first glance and playthrough, the game is very fun, and I have no complaints with the gameplay.

I have significant issue with the way progression is forced down your throat. I think it's a novel idea to make ships of different classes the gateway to a different class. It mixes it up, but when I can only ever have 1 modules of each type active, why must I research all of them to move on?

Once my ship has the modules I need, I must still research additional modules that either don't match my game play or are obviously sub-par in comparison to other modules. I don't mind researching the modules, but I mind it being a blocker to the next level of progression when I am forced to skill up in things that I'll never use.

My dover will never, ever need a self repair kit when escape is always more critical and I can repair on my own after a short break. For my sniper ship, stasis is pretty useless when you almost always hit targets when you're within range. It's not a difficult feat.

Because of this, the game at only Tier II is beginning to feel like a massive grind. That's unfortunate, because otherwise the game is good.

Oct. 18, 2018, 2:01 a.m.

It's to slow progression so you learn the game and don't get eaten alive by veteran players, we'll the getting eaten alive by veteran players will still probably happen when you run into them. You will be surprised how critical some of those "unwanted" modules will become later on in the game.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

Oct. 18, 2018, 6:36 a.m.

One way or another, the way the game is, you have to stay at a certain level for a while... and the griding force you to do this.

The difference between getting points to buy modules vs points to get to the next tier is that you have the chance to try them. and I suggest you do because when you get to the veteran level it's an entire new game with a lot of module usage and if you don't know how they work on your ship, you won't know how to taccle someone who uses them well. Which will ultimatly result in frustration.

A lot of us, me included, somewhat become confortable with a set of modules... we be one trick poneys that the strong squads out there know exactly how to deal with.

Site | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | GameMaker

Oct. 18, 2018, 7:25 p.m.

I blame World of Tanks.

Lost but making good time.

Oct. 18, 2018, 9:20 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 18, 2018, 9:20 p.m.

you can buy hero ships to get into vet right away and any XP you make turns into free XP from that ship. You may need to see how it really looks first before you think you are ready. most of the playerbase is in vet including the ones who've been around since day 1 and may have a whole T5 fleet collecting dust.

you won't escape my Frightning bolts!!!

Oct. 19, 2018, 1:44 a.m.

Another point to consider is, this is supposed the be a team based game. You can, but shouldn't, limit your module usage to only attack your current primary target. In 8v8 match you have 7 other teammates you can support while attacking a different target at the same time. For example, Stasis missile module is a great help to other friendly ships. Just dissable the enemy ship and let others to take care it. A team playing together will always crush bunch of solos.

Oct. 19, 2018, 2:31 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 19, 2018, 2:33 a.m.

You're barely given any scores for doing support duty (except for healing) or debuffing enemies, and nobody wants to sacrifice their progression speed for the greater good. This is called bad game design, not bad players.

On another note, reworking fleets has been requested many times in the past, they just ignored it. You know why Veteran and Legendary worked well beside each other back when there were enough high tier players to play both of them? Because there is an overlap: Tier 4. It can join both, and is excellent for mitigating issues with the grind.

Same thing needs to happen at lower tiers, but they don't care. Actually you can't say anything to these guys that conflicts with their broken ideas about the game, they don't listen to feedback, even if it's constructive.

As it was suggested - a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away - the fleets should be changed around like so:

Newbie Fleet (new, though not an actual fleet, doesn't really need a matchmaking queue): Tier 1 only, plays against bots, may be restricted to proving grounds only. Really just for tutorial purposes, and to get ship lines started.

Recruit Fleet: Tier 2-3, already has access to all current game modes, bots are only used if absolutely necessary. Officer Briefings are forced inactive on all ships.

Veteran Fleet: Tier 3-4, has access to all current game modes, no bots ever. OBs active.

Legendary Fleet: Tier 4-5, has access to all current game modes + Team Elimination, no bots ever, OBs are active.

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

Oct. 19, 2018, 2:46 p.m.

You're barely given any scores for doing support duty (except for healing) or debuffing enemies, and nobody wants to sacrifice their progression speed for the greater good. This is called bad game design, not bad players.

I agree with that entirely. And it's likely the reason the players are basically very selfish and don't learn teamplay in the novice tier. and basically get to veteran level with no clue on basic strategy...

The scoring system need to credit good teamplay. Not really sure how this can be done, possibly giving assis a greater score? For example, playing Artilery, I found a very good winning strategy was to damage enough of a ship to let others take care of it while I'd switch to the next one and so on. Producing the most amount a shield reduction and a good amount of damage... just to basically get an assist and not much score to show for even though I basically did 75% of the work.

I also dislike the grinding research points being locked to a ship, unless you are willing to transfer them at exorbitant price. I have 2.5 million points on one of my ships which would cost me like 63000G Units... given 15000G cost 180 bucks, that roughly translates to like 1000 actual bucks to transfer!!!!... rougly 2.5 millions points is 1000 bucks... and that is like a 7-12 months worth of playing with that ship on a regular basis...

The average, not sure if still aplicable now, to get to the next tier ship is about a week's worth of playing for t2-t3... and about a month's of playing from t3-t4... and 3 months for t4-t5... which is somewhat ridiculous.

How many t4 ships could I fast track to t5 with this?

You need say 17 modules to get the next tier... 17 * 50000 = 850000 points = 340 bucks per ship

And I'm excluding the green credits to actually buy it...

This prevents pay to win... but frankly even if I'd have the money, it would not make me win as skill is more important here... but if I could transfer points freely I could at least use the ship I'm skilled at to grind and have a good setup for a new ship.

anyway I can complain all I want, this game has me hooked enough to not mind so much

Site | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | GameMaker

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.