FORUMS

It's time we start to appreciate the game for what it is

Posted: //
Oct. 19, 2018, 5:53 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 19, 2018, 6 a.m.

During these recent days the devs received a boatload of backlash in regard to the botched Steam release, and rightfully so. Without a doubt they dropped the ball.

But since yesterday I think we can all agree that the game is in a playable state again (looking at you, error 401). Finally the countless hours of overtime and probably sleepless nights over there in Houston have payed off. Kudos to all the devs for their efforts.

The game is not fully enjoyable again, though.

The new hangar is still unintuitive and convoluted. The sound effects are still ill-adjusted or don't fit the respective action most of the time. Unfortunately the devs confirmed via Steam that both the new hangar and the new music/sound effects are here to stay. So all we can do at this point is wave our final Good Byes to the beloved old ones and let go.

It's a shame that the game gave such a poor first impression to new players and veterans alike. But hope is that the gameplay is convincing enough to make players forgive the hickups that plagued the game for the better part of this week. Fortunately the 'upgrade' didn't touch (or degraded for that matter) the core gameplay as this is without a doubt the strong suit of the game.

However there is no point in dwelling in the past so I think it's time we stop doing just that and move on with what we've got. That doesn't mean that we should stop giving our feedback or critisism, on the contrary, but please keep it constructive. As the former US-president Teddy Roosevelt once said: “Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining.”

So here is a short list of things everyone needs to do now:

• If you don't like the new hangar: get over it.
  • If you don't like the new music: turn it off.
  • Don't focus on the things you don't like about the update.
  • But most importantly: Don't forget to have fun because in spite of all the little bugs and setbacks it's still the game we all came to love and enjoy. Perhaps we just need to remember that.

All hands: battle stations! This is not a drill.

[SAD] - Search And Destroy!

[https://sadclan.de]

Bild

Oct. 19, 2018, 7:26 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 19, 2018, 7:28 a.m.

SAD-Reclaimer#0656 posted (#post-226689) said:

That doesn't mean that we should stop giving our feedback or critisism, on the contrary, but please keep it constructive. As the former US-president Teddy Roosevelt once said: “Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining.”

So here is a short list of things everyone needs to do now:

• Don't focus on the things you don't like about the update.

Yeah no, I'm afraid the frustration and disappointment of some people runs too deep for that. I can only tell you the same thing I told Belial: some veteran players aren't just p1ssed by a single bad patch and some random fock-ups, this launch and this version has been a lot more than that.

For me it never really was about the 401 issue, or the -1 Credit issue, or stuff like that. Those are just bugs and issues that can be hotfixed, and only drag the game down for a couple of days. No, that's not it. What got many people beyond their breaking point is the sudden realization that we were being lied to, feeding our false hopes for many months. According to your quote constructive criticism is still very welcome, and is being listened to by the devs... But the Steam patch has clearly proven that it's not the case. This is the problem.

Do you remember all the constructive suggestions around these forums, and all the discussions about issues that have been going on since as far as the start of OBT? Plenty of feedback - a great many of them constructive, and some of them very well thought out and feasible - has been given to these developers. If they only took half of that to the heart, this game would be currently wiping the floor with War Thunder instead of facing a slow and painful death. This is the problem.

Do you remember all the bullsh1t around here, where they said "yeah good idea, we consider it", and "many good things are in the pipe that we can't yet talk about", and the promises of issues being addressed by this very Steam patch, be it old bugs or blatantly obvious balance issues? None of that happened, none of it was true! This is the problem.

I feel cheated, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone with that. This isn't just another bad patch. This is a disaster, the factual destruction of everything we were led to believe in.

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

Oct. 19, 2018, 8:13 a.m.

I play on PS4, which means I'm not playing right now because I can't even get into the game so I can't even play to comment on the changes. That's an issue.

Also remember, society is about instant gratification anymore. That means initial impressions are ever more important and people are a lot less forgiving or willing to give second chances. That means a lot who downloaded on Steam and couldn't play will just delete and not return.

Oct. 22, 2018, 10:16 a.m.

@ Tyrel:

I can certainly see where you are coming from but I think you are missing the point, no offence. This update was all about the transition to Steam combined with a few minor let's call it alterations. The term 'upgrade' seems a bit misplaced as nothing really got better (looking at you, sound and hangar), at least not at the front end.

Was it a painfully slow process? Yes, it was. Did we expect more from the update? Yes, of course. Do we all wish they would add meaningful content (like new maps, new game modes, new ships) much quicker? Again, of course.

But this is not the update you should measure your expectations against. This one is supposed to be the mere foundation that all the new stuff will be based on.

The real test will be the next update with all the technical improvements/prerequisites in place. This will be the time to shout out and complain if our expectations will not be met by what the devs are offering.

But until then I think we should hold our breaths.

Bild

Oct. 23, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

The game as a whole consists of all these parts that you explained and more. Sound should not be just turned off, it's a real issue. Unconvinient hangar and ugly UI is also an issue that is part of the game that one cannot just overlook. If I would want to overlook all the issues, I'd have to play text-based adventure game.

Now what even was the reason to change the sounds, the UI, even the freaking manufacturers logos? Was there some legal issues? I can't tell why anyone would think that a tractor beeper would fit a nuclear strike better than what we had before.

Oct. 23, 2018, 4:53 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 23, 2018, 4:53 p.m.

I fully agree with you that these issues are unpleasant and certainly take some getting used to. But the question we should all ask ourselves is: Are they really game breaking? The sound effects bugs will be fixed eventually and frankly I find myself getting along with the new hangar quite nicely these recent days. Give it enough time and the old version of the game will be barely more than a distant memory.

Most of us miss the old sound/music and hangar but what good is it complaining about it when we all know that this is the new status quo? The devs consider feature parity (which is the sole reason for the UI update) the Holy Grail so don't expect them to make a 180 on this any time soon.

The point I'm trying to make is that the gameplay is still as fun and enjoyable as it was before the Steam release. So why don't we focus on enjoying this very gameplay instead of moaning the unwanted changes to the game which for the most part don't effect the gameplay at all (looking at you, sound effects)?

Bild

Oct. 23, 2018, 5:36 p.m.

Updated //
Oct. 23, 2018, 5:38 p.m.

SAD-Reclaimer#0656 posted (#post-226886) said:

why don't we focus on enjoying this very gameplay instead of moaning the unwanted changes to the game which for the most part don't effect the gameplay at all (looking at you, sound effects)?

Because they took away parts we loved. At least in my case. I really liked the old manufacturers logos, and the change was unnecesary and very lazy. I loved to skim through modules and tinker with my ships before the game using a UI that was not bad (at least not to the point, when half of my screen is just one huge button "MODIFY ME SENPAI!" like it's a phone game). I enjoyed watching these ships flying in hangar, workers just doing their work, watching how it is truli alive. As for true gameplay: I loved the deep, heavy sounds of engines fireing up unequally when I manouver to the point, that I found myself just floating up and down with my dreadnought for no reason other than just to listen to the sounds. I prefered when Q menu was not making any annoying and distracting noise, i liked that every near ship was not sounding like a broken tractor engine, and i liked that the freaking UI was working with the same framerate as rest of the game so it was actually readable when doing little aim corrections.

Call me wierd, but aesthetics are very important for me. The feel and immersion are what differed this game for me from other games of simmilar type, like World of Tanks or that scummy piece of sh*t War Thunder is. There were more differences that pulled me in here, yes, but the feel was the reason why I was coming back.

And by the way, I also remember old sounds and graphics. I was also sad when engine particle effects were not precise like before, but there indeed were many, many upgrades. Especially coming back to game and realizing that I could suddenly unlock a whole set of tier III ships for free was amazing and very surprising christmass gift!

Oct. 24, 2018, 11:08 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 24, 2018, 11:09 a.m.

SAD, if you are saying accept the evident faults with the game without objection then I cannot agree.

If you are saying accept what has happened to the game and keep playing in the hope that better will come - well we are. After all, the people you are talking to have not left the forum; so still hold hope for the game's future.

As Tyrel said, there has been plenty of suggestions from people on the forums and most have seemed quite reasonable.

Maybe a short list from you of things the developers could do would be more apt? It's not as if we (those you seem to be aiming your post at) aren't all still here waiting. O7

Oct. 24, 2018, 12:05 p.m.

Yeah, the people that still "complain" here and hate on the game are also the ones that loved it with passion and thus are upset about it when things go downhill.

Currently I dislike many new things they did, and still dislike many old things that they refused to fix, but regardless of all that the base gameplay is still fun (at least when the Matchmaker allows it to be), the skills/modules add quite a lot of depth, and the general feel & sci-fi setting of the game is also more appealing to me than what the rivals have. (looking at you War Thunder)

But still, the devs make such a fine job of making us hate it... I really hope you're right about that next patch...

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

Oct. 25, 2018, 10:15 a.m.

At least pc players get to play the game. ps4 servers are still down after three weeks! Even for pc players this should be a larger concern because the game was already launched on console and is now dead, so there's a large hit to the overall game population.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.