FORUMS

Ship-bound coatings are dumb

Posted: //
Nov. 3, 2016, 6:54 p.m.

Like, really. Who in their right mind is going to spend their GP to unlock a skin knowing they wont get to use it on the other ships they like. Very disappointed with this feature.

Nov. 3, 2016, 9:47 p.m.

Aren't they ship-line specific though? Like you unlock a coating for all medium dreadnoughts?

My spaceship brings all the boys to the yard

Carrier-Class Ideas 1.6 | Module Ideas 1.1
T-Shirt Designs | Ship specific Voice-Packs

Nov. 13, 2016, 4:49 p.m.

Believe it or not, this is a very common thing. In World of Tanks, World of Warships, World of Warplanes, etc. Item specific customization is the norm for this type of game. At least here, unlike in World of Tanks and such the camos don't provide any statistical bonuses.

Fight until every bolt, hatch and bulkhead are destroyed. If we are beaten, then float your way over to them and scratch until you're dead!

Nov. 13, 2016, 4:51 p.m.

It's also a thing in Fractured Space. It's exceedingly common, and those that don't like such systems are not required to participate in them as they do not affect gameplay.

"It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."

-The T2 Dread charging solo into a pack of T4's.

Dec. 12, 2016, 5:12 p.m.

Updated //
Dec. 14, 2016, 8:26 a.m.

TBH I would have liked to have known that before, especially since it is a change from the previous situation where you could use a paint on ALL ships you had. Now I've spent 200 of my 250 GP on a coating for a ship I could really care less about smile. It's not going to kill me and there's at least one more reset to look forward to, but I am a bit unpleasantly surprised smile.

-We do not go gentle into that good night- -Rage, rage against the dying of the light-

Dec. 19, 2016, 7:37 p.m.

Akuzimo#4105 posted (#post-56157)

Believe it or not, this is a very common thing. In World of Tanks, World of Warships, World of Warplanes, etc. Item specific customization is the norm for this type of game. At least here, unlike in World of Tanks and such the camos don't provide any statistical bonuses.

In Mechwarrior Online you buy the color, which can be applied to any mech, but the pattern is applied to the chassis. So if you own 2 Raven mechs, the pattern and colors can be shared to all. But if you have a Shadowcat as well, you can only apply the color. So, no, it's not a global standard. All the World of * games are the same company, so you can't really count each one separate. Those are essentially one game.

"If I seem unnecessarily harsh and uncaring, it's only because the world made me this way." - Rex Talon

Dec. 20, 2016, 1:35 a.m.

In Star Trek Online, ship "skin" patterns are purchased and applicable to all ships you own. And if you purchase a ship variant with a unique look, that look is unlocked for all your other ships. It made purchasing them worthwhile.

Now that I know these are limited to only one ship, the prices are absolutely ludicrous. If they only cost Credits, that'd be one thing, but $4 real dollars for one color for one ship? At that price, it looks like I'm rocking the default skin on every ship, forever.

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:46 a.m.

Yeah, not so happy with the way it is either. I play MWO (mechwarrior online) a lot. Buy a mech, buy a pattern, it works on that mech model and all variants of that mech. My Maurader iic looks awesome the way it looks on fire, but I can't use it anywhere else. My Star Trek Online ships all look great, because it is shared across all ships.

If I earned credits, or even free experience to purchase patterns, then ok, I can consider that an upgrade to my ship. But when I have to spend real life money for only one ship, I don't appreciate that one bit. If I buy a color or pattern, I expect to be able to use it on all my ships because I payed real money. I don't buy patterns, never have in Dreadnought because of this issue. I've bought decals and emblems before because I can use them on all my ships.

One thing was nice, as a founder, I had the option to use the colors I had on my founder ships, on other ships. Like the Huscari (forgive my spelling) red colors/pattern. Of course, that was a while ago. But it was cool to have a destroyer of a different manufacturer with the same colors as the Huscari. I don't have that option any longer or I haven't seen it available yet.

I don't mind purchasing some items to make my ships look unique, but I won't buy(using real money) patterns or anything if I can't use them on all my ships.

I really hope they change this. Heck I wish MWO would change that about patterns as well.

Praxx

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

senselocke#4203 posted (#post-80788)

In Star Trek Online, ship "skin" patterns are purchased and applicable to all ships you own. And if you purchase a ship variant with a unique look, that look is unlocked for all your other ships. It made purchasing them worthwhile.

Now that I know these are limited to only one ship, the prices are absolutely ludicrous. If they only cost Credits, that'd be one thing, but $4 real dollars for one color for one ship? At that price, it looks like I'm rocking the default skin on every ship, forever.

I never play STO but that sounds like a sweet system and worthwhile. I'm sure it makes the player much more interested in making those minor, non game-defining purchases.

Regarding the economy, I've mentioned in a different post that Grey Goo seems to be going with a Blizzard/Games Workshop level of greed when it comes to real money purchases. If you want to change the skin of your ship or the clothes that your captain wears you need to spend GP, not credits. Non game-defining purchases like that should never be required to cost real money. If they want to keep a GP cost then add a credit cost as well.

Dec. 26, 2016, 4:56 p.m.

Updated //
Dec. 26, 2016, 4:57 p.m.

Wish I had read this thread before purchasing the Anchorhead coating. I had assumed that it would be available for all my ships and was confused when I was asked to repurchase it for another ship. Pretty bummed to hear they're actually ship bound, now I'm gonna have to ask for a refund as this wasn't made clear prior to purchase and $4.00(little more when you figure in sales tax) for a skin for a single ship is absurd. The thing better cover the ship in murals if they expect people to pay that much.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.