FORUMS

Corvette With Internal Armor Amplifier: NEW META MISTAKE!

Posted: //
Jan. 19, 2019, 4:35 a.m.

I have been playing since Beta and I know first-hand Corvettes are tough enough to kill with their small hitbox. Their claim to fame is that they are tough to hit and hit hard in return. However, with the new update, Legends Redifined, this has made Corvettes next to impossible to deal with. 80% damage reduction on something that can outright avoid damage by virtue of a small hitbox? Not. Cool.

The Problem: 15 seconds of 80% damage reduction on corvettes now makes Rupture and Disruption an absolute must in order to deal with ONE module that comes off of cooldown far faster than its counters. Even by virtue of the fact that a dreadnought MUST run Rupture Ammo to hope to even chase off, let alone kill, one of these new corvettes means it cannot run an Armor Amplifier of its own. The corvette can fall back on its speed and size to win the day, all other ships can just pray that they can hit their tormentor before they eventually fall.

Example: I have seen several Corvettes sit, and I myself have performed this, completely still while leisurely filling the target full of holes while a dreadnought with the exact same module or a destroyer using flak guns could only HOPE to hit the target and buy a few more seconds by using their own armor amp... only to get disrupted and lose said armor. By the time the entire team finally does kill the vette, the vette has respawned, all modules off of cool-down and is already half-way back to finish off what it started while all of its victims' modules are ON cool-down.

My suggestion: Corvettes should NOT have a normalized version of Armor Amplifier. Give them Armored Lockdown (Tac Cruiser/Artillery Cruiser version) instead or bring it down to 40%. Other options would have to deal with radically scaling back their dps potential if their ability to tank damage in this new fashion remains the same.

There needs to be a line drawn here. Corvettes are supposed to be tough to kill, yes. Corvettes are supposed to be hard-hitting, yes. Corvettes are NOT supposed to be capable of literally sitting on top of some of the most lethal ships in existence and pretend they're a pocket dreadnought. I thought the vindicta was OP, I still do. However, I am far more critical of the direction corvettes have taken. This makes T4 and T5 Corvettes require far less skill than they previously needed and their already ridiculous fragging capability makes them the new dreadnoughts of the game. Gone are the days of armored dreadnoughts and sieges between fleets being the meta. Today's meta is now filled with invulnerable corvettes and dogfights.

Jan. 19, 2019, 10:50 a.m.

This... this exactly.

Jan. 19, 2019, 12:33 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 19, 2019, 12:51 p.m.

Edited ( appologies, misread patch notes )

"Patch notes: Kinetic Armor Amp (Corvette): Renamed to 'Armor Amp' and functions identically to the Dreadnought's version of this module. Moved from the Primary Slot to the Internal Slot. "

I agree. The Corvette has 0% damage reduction on shields and they now add a module that can mitigate further damage to almost nothing? THAT IS CRAZY TALK

Jan. 19, 2019, 1:35 p.m.

People just talking about it is enough for me not to even play.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

Jan. 21, 2019, 8:59 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 21, 2019, 11:12 a.m.

cant remember did armor amp exist on vette originally(edit ah ya kinetic but now an actual armor amp!?) this does sound really bad. Their agility and small size alone is enough of a strength for their class and i loved that but giving them basically a dread module is now overkill ugh.

you won't escape my Frightning bolts!!!

Jan. 21, 2019, 11:22 a.m.

Shocknfunk#5058 posted (#post-235217) said:

cant remember did armor amp exist on vette originally? but this does sound really bad. Their agility and small size alone is enough of a strength for their class and i loved that but giving them basically a dread module is now overkill ugh.

Hi Shock,

They had "Kinetic Armor Amp" as a Primary Module and was ( I think ) 30% dmg reduction and few perks if they took damage when it was active. - Not a bad module especially on the Akula Vet.

I just recently played against a Oberon Mithras using this "new" Armor amp ( 80% dmg reduction active for 15 seconds ) and it was real tough.

Even before this it was possible for a Corvette to park next to you and take you down. Now a Corvette can park, make some phone calls, order a pizza, and then Disrupt, Torpedo, ABW.

The only reliable counter is another vet with Distrupt ( and stop with the "but Tartarus and Distrupt Missle or Rupture Beam " on a Corvette )

Jan. 21, 2019, 5:29 p.m.

wait hold up 15 seconds!? good lord atleast the arty has only 2-4 secs of it and even the tacs are just short enough to avoid a full vette Damage burn on them. 15!??? talk about /facepalm

you won't escape my Frightning bolts!!!

Jan. 22, 2019, 4:24 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 22, 2019, 4:25 a.m.

@Tsunamiatunzen1:

Well written, I agree 100%.

Playing a Corvette was always meant to be a high risk - high reward - gamble. While they can pack a punch they were very fragile due to their low health pool forcing Corvette captains to pick their targets carefully.

With Amor Amp now being available to Corvettes that riskt-reward-concept no longer applies because the risk-component is now erased from the equation entirely.

Previously Amor Amp was only available to Dreadnoughts. That made perfect sense because Dreadnoughts are very slow ships that can't dip in and out of cover to avoid enemy fire. In fact they are not meant to, mind you, because their intended role on the battle field is to absorb said enemy fire which requires a certain amount of staying power. To enable Dreadnoughts to do just that Amor Amp was an almost madatory module for each Dreadnought captain for it makes the Dreadnought almost invincible for the duration of it being active.

Enter 'Legends redefined update'. Now we find ourselves in a situation where Corvettes reign surpreme as they have access to that module, too, which turns them basically into fast moving, hard hitting tanks with all the upsides of Corvettes (speed, firepower) and Dreadnoughts (endurance) but no downsides. Who thought this is a good idea?!

And yes, I know there is a way to counter this (rupture modules). But the problem with these counters is that due to the superiority of Corvettes in the current meta everyone is forced to equip the respective modules. So instead of using a wide variety of loadouts you better use that one anti-corvette build or you're dead.

It's baffling me how these changes got past QA as not only are Corvettes totally overpowered in the current meta, it also sucks all the fun out of the game to helplessly watch that Amor Amp-ed Corvette parking point-blank in front of your Dreadnought shredding it to pieces.

The obvious thing to do would be to revert these changes asap. Otherwise I'm afraid that many players will have enough and leave, myself included.

All hands: battle stations! This is not a drill.

[SAD] - Search And Destroy!

[https://sadclan.de]

Bild

Jan. 22, 2019, 9:14 a.m.

SAD-Reclaimer#0656 posted (#post-235224) said:

It's baffling me how these changes got past QA as not only are Corvettes totally overpowered in the current meta

I know I sound like a d1nk when I say this but they do not have QA

Think about it, they simply took the Tier III Armor amp for the Dreadnought and Copy / Pasted it for all Dreadnought Tiers and just added that same module to Corvettes. It was already there available for the Internal 4th slot. They just made it available for Corvettes too.

They say they "renamed" it for Corvettes. Rename = Copy + Paste. Then they simply disabled Kinetic Armor Amp on their game engine.

My guess is that Rupture was an idea that was shelved because Purge was just a better module.

Jan. 22, 2019, 10:12 a.m.

It's almost like they listen to what players are complaining about then go and do the exact opposite. A large part of the players already hated vettes, hence the Corvette-nought moniker, now they've litterally turned them into those.

Paired with T4 now being Legendary only and a 30 min battle bonus cooldown that can only increase an already daunting grind, I don't see how this update will do anything but drive more away.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.