FORUMS

Morning Star seems poorly outfitted as a starter ship

Posted: //
Nov. 7, 2016, 3:09 a.m.

Does the Morning Star seem poorly outfitted as a starter ship to anyone else? As the ship that is given free in both Starter packs, it seems to be asking the new inexperienced player to perform a strategy that is hard to do without team work and coordination. Even harder to do now with 8 enemies as closing to use your weapons just gets you focused fired.

I'd suggest giving it at least one weapon that has some reach, maybe some Vulture missiles instead of the Tractor beam, which does not even work well with terrain blocking. Missiles would be easier for new players, and they look pretty cool firing. Really that's what you want, new player to be impressed and have a cool easy to use ability.

Nov. 7, 2016, 3:36 a.m.

I have the same feeling .
Especially as the players adapt to the 8v8 and start moving in packs. Now to lineup a broadside shot it requires for me to be in the line of fire of several ships for quite a few seconds , in 90% of the cases i die without managing to do significant damage .

But that is when i try to go into offensive .
I found it can still be a good rear guard . I stay behind my pack and warp to friendly targets when they are attacked in close range . or i defend against enemy Lone Wolfs that try to get behind my pack .

The greatest inspiration is the deadline !

Nov. 7, 2016, 8:49 a.m.

Morningstar is not supposed to be an Op ship,and its broadside close range makes it a bit complicated to play with,you need to hug your targets,so the best way to do a success broadside attack is to put energy to engines to get closer to your target(not drain it ofc),hook your target up and broadside whenever its possible.The change in team set up to 8vs8,push players to use more cover and be sneakier cause focus fire can bring most of the ships down in few seconds.

"The First Of His Name"

Nov. 7, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

the morningstar is super good in the current meta, going againts tier 1-2-3 you will always find in veteran matchups

Nov. 7, 2016, 9:44 a.m.

I think it's a horrible ship in beginner Tier. Of course, I thought it was a horrible ship to begin with (no pun intended), but even more so now:
Low tier ships are faster, so the main gun has a harder time hitting anything at long range.
Close in, you have no secondary, and there is no situation I can fathom where you can line up a broadside without that somehow being your targets fault.
A hard to learn, slow, close range ship with a subpar primary sure isn't what I'd expect to get when spending money on the game for the first time.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

Nov. 7, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

Updated //
Nov. 7, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

UnLimiTeD#2482 posted (#post-53877)

I think it's a horrible ship in beginner Tier. Of course, I thought it was a horrible ship to begin with (no pun intended), but even more so now:
Low tier ships are faster, so the main gun has a harder time hitting anything at long range.
Close in, you have no secondary, and there is no situation I can fathom where you can line up a broadside without that somehow being your targets fault.
A hard to learn, slow, close range ship with a subpar primary sure isn't what I'd expect to get when spending money on the game for the first time.

you just dont know how to play it thats all

Nov. 7, 2016, 10:02 a.m.

Updated //
Nov. 7, 2016, 10:03 a.m.

Steelbite#7927 posted (#post-53881)

Neither will other people when they start playing for the first time. What was being said is that the Morningstar is not a good STARTER ship for NEW players who bought a founders pack to use. Which you just backed up with your statement.

Get off your high horse.

Nov. 7, 2016, 1:32 p.m.

Inuakurei#4068 posted (#post-53882)

Steelbite#7927 posted (#post-53881)

Neither will other people when they start playing for the first time. What was being said is that the Morningstar is not a good STARTER ship for NEW players who bought a founders pack to use. Which you just backed up with your statement.

Get off your high horse.

just GIT GUD smile

Nov. 7, 2016, 2:04 p.m.

My goal with these comments is to help the game attract lots of players, and build a strong player base. To do so, the initial player experience has to be good. "Git Gud", "just dont know how to play" does not help new players into the game. A ship that is easy to learn and use, helps more.

From a Game Design aspect the Morning Star does not achieve it's purpose. It's a free ship given to encourage people to purchase the packs and learn the game, then it needs to be built around helping new players have the most amazing initial experience, get excited about the game, purchase more and play a lot.

Nov. 7, 2016, 2:18 p.m.

Vigilant#3864 posted (#post-53902)

My goal with these comments is to help the game attract lots of players, and build a strong player base. To do so, the initial player experience has to be good. "Git Gud", "just dont know how to play" does not help new players into the game. A ship that is easy to learn and use, helps more.

From a Game Design aspect the Morning Star does not achieve it's purpose. It's a free ship given to encourage people to purchase the packs and learn the game, then it needs to be built around helping new players have the most amazing initial experience, get excited about the game, purchase more and play a lot.

There is a place for new players, its called ''Training match''

ps: Morningstar aint free mate

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.