FORUMS

Morning Star seems poorly outfitted as a starter ship

Posted: //
Nov. 7, 2016, 6:17 p.m.

A question for you guys. What would you personally like to see on a T2 Morning star for abilities smile

DN_Thor Community/Streaming Manager for Dreadnought. Interested in Broadcasting?! Send me a ping!

Nov. 7, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

If the broadside is the way i would suggest only to change it to ballistic,and thats it,the scattergun need u to hug the target.And thats it,everything else is fine.

"The First Of His Name"

Nov. 7, 2016, 10:10 p.m.

Steelbite#7927 posted (#post-53904)
ps: Morningstar aint free mate

I think he's talking about the tier 2 "free" morningstar you get with an invite to the beta, not the tier 4 one you get from the founders package.

Nov. 7, 2016, 10:11 p.m.

Vigilant#3864 posted (#post-53902)

My goal with these comments is to help the game attract lots of players, and build a strong player base. To do so, the initial player experience has to be good. "Git Gud", "just dont know how to play" does not help new players into the game. A ship that is easy to learn and use, helps more.

From a Game Design aspect the Morning Star does not achieve it's purpose. It's a free ship given to encourage people to purchase the packs and learn the game, then it needs to be built around helping new players have the most amazing initial experience, get excited about the game, purchase more and play a lot.
much like everything else here it sucks.

Nov. 7, 2016, 11:35 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 7, 2016, 11:36 p.m.

I'd suggest Plasma Broadside, Vulture Missiles, Anti-Missile Lasers, and Armor Amp. The situations where you use all of these are no-brainers and effective application is much easier to understand than things like Tractor/Triads/Stasis.

Primary: Nuke is hard to use effectively until you understand how it works, and until you do, it feels like a waste of a slot. It is cool, though, so maybe that's a reason to put it on. Fighters and bombers feel impotent.
Secondary: The combo should either be Nuke + Torpedoes or Broadside + Missiles. Torpedoes overlap with broadside range and Flechettes are terrible; Light Missiles are maybe too good for a starter ship.
Perimeter: All the other perimeter modules require some more understanding of the game flow before you know when to use them effectively, and autoguns are terrible. AML has an obvious application.
Internal: Warp and Onslaught are newbie traps, Endurance requires understanding of mechanics to not be useless. Assault Thrusters if people feel significantly frustrated by the travel time after respawn, though maybe that makes its role less clear for newer players.

If the combo is too optimal you could always give it flechettes and autoguns.

Nov. 8, 2016, midnight

DN_Thor#8315 posted (#post-53928)

A question for you guys. What would you personally like to see on a T2 Morning star for abilities smile

I think the main issues with the T2 ship is the extremely short range armaments and slow primaries. Without secondaries, the ship really struggles at screening/protecting the fleet from corvettes.

Everything at the lower tiers is relatively quick and slippery, which directly counters the Akula DN's plasma cannons. Meanwhile, the relatively glassy nature of lower tier ships means few survive long enough to actually get within range of those scatter cannons.

Personally speaking, I do like Tractor beam being on the ship, I think it's an interesting early divergence that gives the ship a unique, defining personality. However, the ship currently lacks the accurate medium range firepower to really take advantage of it.

I think my main recommendation would be to give the T2 Morningstar Fighters, and give the T4 Morningstar Interceptors.

The fighters, in addition to rounding the ship off, would also give it a 'cool factor' to promote sales.

Other alternatives, would be to change the broadsides to something else, like Odin suggested, or giving it autoguns. I think those are less interesting/appealing solutions, however.

Nov. 8, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

Updated //
Nov. 8, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

Szeron#6174 posted (#post-54048)

Everything at the lower tiers is relatively quick and slippery, which directly counters the Akula DN's plasma cannons. Meanwhile, the relatively glassy nature of lower tier ships means few survive long enough to actually get within range of those scatter cannons.

Medium Dreadnought is quite fast with energy to engines,so in my Nav loadout i got warp swapped with armor amplifier and whenever i am in trouble i tend to use energy on weapons for the faster refire rate.

I think my main recommendation would be to give the T2 Morningstar Fighters, and give the T4 Morningstar Interceptors.

The fighters, in addition to rounding the ship off, would also give it a 'cool factor' to promote sales.

Oh i like that idea,though we need to test those fighters,i hope they are changed a bit.Has anyone tried em already?Arent they on Tier 4?I saw the graphics on hangar bays is changed,now they have doors.

"The First Of His Name"

Nov. 9, 2016, 4:27 a.m.

In general, I would like to see more sense in the selection of modules for each ship tier. I am currently scratching my head at the available initial modules in most tier 3 ships.

Nov. 9, 2016, 9:42 a.m.

I think the ship could do with about 10% extra muzzle velocity, to go with the faster targets in beginner bracket.
A ballistic broadside would also be neat, it looks and sounds impressive and is fun to use, however that would make it rather disappointing to unwrap the T4 later to find it has scatterguns.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

Nov. 9, 2016, 11:04 a.m.

jack up the broadside range and up the turn speed. That would make it easier to employ and an effective screening tool. may also teach effective range when they miss that first max-range broadside smile. that all said, a noob ship shouldn't have 'charge into the thick of the enemy team to engage in a knife-fight' as it's primary battle-tactic.

-Citizen Soldier -"Do not bring forth an argument that can be disproved with a 10 minute google search."

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.