FORUMS

The upcoming Bonus XP - event ist great but puts a spotlight on the broken Battle Bonus system

Posted: //
Jan. 31, 2019, 5:31 a.m.

Updated //
Feb. 1, 2019, 1:51 a.m.

First and foremost: a new Bonus XP - event is great! It's good way for SixFoot to demonstrate that they care for the game and its community.

Unfortunately this event puts a spotlight on a broken game mechanic that will sour many new players' experience and that would be the Battle Bonus in Legendary Fleet.

Let me explain.

In Legendary Fleet it costs 11,000 credits to purchase Battle Bonus with an average total credits gain of well below the purchase cost meaning by purchasing Battle Bonus players gain lots of XP but literally lose credits. The alternative is to not purchase Battle Bonus. This way players will gain credits and still XP but lose out on all of the bonus XP. It's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation.

Battle Bonus is a onesided system to maximize XP gains at the cost of credits gains.

For various reasons this is very ploblematic. Here is why:

Having a game economy where the players can boost one currency at the cost of the other requires a system in which the two currencies are used to buy independent items. E. g. currency A is used to buy coatings and currency B is used to buy decals. The players have the choice which they want most and act accordingly (purchase Battle Bonus to go for the coating or don't to go for the decal).

Dreadnought does not have such an economy. In Dreadnought progression is achived through researching AND purchasing new and stronger modules which will let players claim stronger ships. Players need both XP AND credits to progress. Therefore giving players a system to boost XP gains at the cost of credits does make zero sense because what good is XP to research modules if players don't have the credits to purchase them? And again, I'm not talking about veteran players with thousands of matches, millions of credits, and a fleet of fully equipped T5's under their belt. I'm talking about rookies that just entered Legendary Fleet for the first time.

The Bonus XP - event will only emphasise this disparity as the gap between XP and credits will be widened drastically. Things will get even worse if these rookies claim their first T5. Then credits costs to unlock modules exceed XP costs turning credits into the most sought after currency in the game. Yet in Legendary Fleet Battle Bonus actively punishes players that purchase it.

I'm not going into the 'If you want to progress buy Elite Status' discussion though I think it's pretty obvious that these changes have been made to get players into spending real world money for Elite Status.

The obvious solution would be to go back to the old system.

In the community I heard the sentiment that the high prize tag is warranted because players should not be able to buy credits with credits. That's a valid argument to be had but it does not address the core problem. Right now players are better off ignoring Battle Bonus in Legendary Fleet entirely (rendering that game mechanic completely useless) or queue up for Veteran Fleet which will do nothing but depopulate Legendary Fleet and flood Veteran Fleet with max rank players stomping rookies all over again.

So if the 'you can't buy credits with credits' sentiment is the new meta than the game needs to offer players other ways to boost credits gains in order to keep the grind reasonable.

One such way could be to introduce an additional Battle Bonus which boosts credits gains at the cost of whatever form of XP. This way players would have a choice if and what currency they want to have boosted rendering Battle Bonus in Legendary Fleet somewhat relevant again. Right now it's not.

The point I'm trying to make is: To implement a system where players have to trade one currency for the other while both are equally necessary to progress is just bad game design. At least in my opinion...

All hands: battle stations! This is not a drill.

[SAD] - Search And Destroy!

https://sad-clan.pro

Bild

Jan. 31, 2019, 8:40 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 31, 2019, 8:45 a.m.

I agree with everything you said. The high cost will only deter players from purchasing it, plus attempts to shoehorn them into buying elite status only makes them not want to.

The upcoming weekend is good but honestly, they need this every weekend. Every time there is a community event bonus XP etc. noticeably more players come in.

Honestly, I think the Devs need to check out Star Trek Online. Why? Well they can see some of the things that work and apply them to Dreadnought. Granted, the games aren't totally comparable, and STO had the luxury of a large existing fanbase, but there are enough similarities they could learn from. It also features the different currencies for different items like SAD-Reclaimer addresses. The primarily PvE environment also fosters a lot of cooperation. Of the hundreds matches I've played, less than half a dozen have featured people communicating, and yet the regular cooperation between players is pretty amazing. I attribute part of it that everyone benefits, whereas in Dreadnought solos play for just their benefit.

I know they need to make money, so I understand trying to get players to buy. But if it's set up where's it trying to force them to, and the game set up in a way that drives players away, well, in order to have paying customers, you need customers to start..

Feb. 1, 2019, 8:42 a.m.

Agreed that at the higher tiers you need more credits than xp. In the older tech tree system you only needed to research the next module therefor you needed more xp. When they reconfigured the tech tree progression that changed the currency dynamic to needing credits even more so than before. We all like then new tech tree progression system in regaurds in the fact that you can get whatever module you want in whatever order you want. But i think ( and hope ) as an unforseen side effect is that credits are in a much higher demand now. They should do an audit and reconfigure the currency system to match the updated progression system ( as if the currency was an after thought when redoing the tech tree )

Feb. 1, 2019, 10:05 a.m.

Given there is free XP currency is definitely more in demand. Upgrading the ontracts to 5k helped but it's still more a matter of garnering credits than XP.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.