FORUMS

Since DN likes Planet Surface Maps how about Floating Mountains of Pandora style map (Avatar)

Posted: //
Dec. 20, 2016, 7:28 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 20, 2016, 7:28 a.m.

tiah_x#5059 posted (#post-80888)

You, guys, do realize the Dreadnought's action happens in Solar System not so far into the future?

None of the planets nor moons have something similar to "flying rocks". Which is impossible in terms of physics by the way.

My mind exactly...

Dec. 20, 2016, 4:26 p.m.

Updated //
Dec. 20, 2016, 5 p.m.

So we can't have a Pandora style map because it does not fit into your definition of science FICTION? FICTION being the key word here. LOL.

None of the planets nor moons have something similar to "flying rocks". Which is impossible in terms of physics by the way.

This is sci fi not real life. Most of what is happening in this game and ANY sci fi is crossing the line in any realistic sense whatsoever.

Impossible you say? Why don't you explain fully how everything else that happens in this game IS possible then, haha.

How about this for an explanation based on the concept of flux pinning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_pinning

Flux pinning is the phenomenon where a superconductor is pinned in space above a magnet. The superconductor must be a type-II superconductor because type-I superconductors cannot be penetrated by magnetic fields.[1] The act of magnetic penetration is what makes flux pinning possible. At higher magnetic fields (above Hc1 and below Hc2) the superconductor allows magnetic flux to enter in quantized packets surrounded by a superconducting current vortex (see Quantum vortex). These sites of penetration are known as flux tubes.

Floating Mountains of Pandora are composed of a novel unknown Type Superconductor that has characteristics of Type 2 SC that allows for Quantum Flux Pinning to occur at high(er) temperatures. The area in which the mountains float is distorted by augmented magnetic fields that interact with the composition of the unique type superconductive materials of the rock causing them to be flux pinned, BLAH BLAH BLAH insert whatever further explanation is needed to play a fun map. LOL

Good Grief, lets take it down a notch with this "that's not possible" attitude for a game base on fiction as it becomes quite laughable at a certain point. smile

Dec. 20, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

This is actually a great idea but the developers have far more important things to be doing at the moment. Like balancing the game and retaining players.

-----Tier 5 Ohkta Pilot-----Tier 5 Invictus Pilot-----Tier 5 Athos Pilot-----
-------------------------Fully Researched Tier 4 Fleet------------------------
-------------------What the @#$% are you talking about?----------------

Dec. 21, 2016, 12:32 a.m.

tiah_x#5059 posted (#post-80888)

You, guys, do realize the Dreadnought's action happens in Solar System not so far into the future?

Yeah, so is a massive Dreadnought ship floating in midair, or slowing down once thrust is disabled in space instead of drifting forward via inertia. It's clear we're not following all the rules anyway.

However, in a strong magnetic field, ferromagnetic metal can float. Strong enough field + concentrated metals in the rocks + lower gravity = floating rocks.

Regardless, more map variety is necessary. I played the same map 4x in a row today.

Dec. 21, 2016, 12:58 a.m.

Well, I can shut my eyes on the lack of inertia, or bombs flying perfect parabolic trajectories in outer space, sounds and explosions in space, rockets flying with 100 m/s speed (which is slightly faster than a tennis ball).

You see - those are the things we got used to. Those are OK things in Sci-Fi.

Pandora supercunducting Unobtanium stuff - I knew about that effect way before the movie and I absolutely enjoyed the idea of it, while sitting in the cinema back in 2008.

Floating ships - Transhuman technology of gravity manipulation or whatever - I don't see a contradiction whatsoever.

Man-made structures floating above the ground - I"m totally fine with it (some gas silos probably?)
Floating NATURAL rocks in Solar System - nah, that's completely absurd.

"Hang in there!" (™)

Dec. 21, 2016, 1:25 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 21, 2016, 1:26 a.m.

Man-made structures floating above the ground - I"m totally fine with it (some gas silos probably?) Floating NATURAL rocks in Solar System - nah, that's completely absurd.

So Fine. The proposed Pandora Map will feature levitating man made structures that are covered with dirt/rock/grass and are completely indistinguishable from natural occurring grassy rocks. For everyone else we will use the other explanations of naturally occurring flux pinning/magnetic/gravity style phenomenon. Problem solved. smile

Dec. 21, 2016, 3:23 a.m.

I can't believe that someone don't want map like that because rocks don't float in known planets. I bet if you ask some engineer he will tell you that this ships can't fly like that in atmosphere but who cares? It's fun! No one cares about the story of the game.

The proposed map design looks cool and no one will care if it is realistic or fit the story of the game. This is a SPACE SHIPS GAME!!!

You people are UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Dec. 23, 2016, 12:04 p.m.

Updated //
Dec. 23, 2016, 12:08 p.m.

Quayjay#4843 posted (#post-81085)

This is actually a great idea but the developers have far more important things to be doing at the moment. Like balancing the game and retaining players.

True, but not every member of the team is working on game design/coding stuff. Some build maps (probably the job they were hired to do and are best at) and that's a good thing.

As for the map: Depends on the world they want to create, really. I can see why people think it's cool, but I also see some actual thought put into world building in DN and I think that should not be compromised but built upon. Example: If you would call it "The Hanging Gardens of Whatever", make it obvious that it was no natural formation and then handwave it with some obscure Transhuman tech (pretty much what they did with the whole terraforming idea), it would be a whole different thing. In my opinion consequent, cohesive design is prefereable to just a bunch of cool ideas (don't get me wrong, this is a cool idea) thrown together without thought. I like the idea but don't see it fit the setting given our limited knowledge of the lore and more importantly the design of the rest of the game's world.

To compromise is to err.

Dec. 24, 2016, 7:08 a.m.

Penxop#4266 posted (#post-82150)
Example: If you would call it "The Hanging Gardens of Whatever", make it obvious that it was no natural formation and then handwave it with some obscure Transhuman tech (pretty much what they did with the whole terraforming idea), it would be a whole different thing.

Pretty much this^

Simply rocks floating above the ground make no sense. Rocks floating above the ground due to the effect of some backfired transhuman technology - that would be actually cool.

Also, as a side note I 'd like them to give us some more transhuman-related lore.
How did they become transuman (and what that word actually means in game). What were their motifs? Why exactly did The War start? Where have they gone?

"Hang in there!" (™)

Jan. 22, 2017, 12:04 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 22, 2017, 12:05 a.m.

Aersdry#5059 posted (#post-80888)

Maybe floating refineries in the atmosphere of Jupiter, like Cloud City?

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.