FORUMS

I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE GAME I FELL IN LOVE WITH

Posted: //
Nov. 16, 2016, 1:02 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 16, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

Love hurts. Everybody hurts.

Why is it so hard to love someone or something?

I loved you, Dreadnought game thing.

I come here every now and then to see if any change to the game is being done since the latest patch deployed and still nothing.

The game I played was so good. I was up all night and left office early to play some more Dreadnought. What I played a month ago was really good.

One day I wake up on sunday and remember about the game, take a zip of coffee and read the dread-ful patch notes:

A Tier System has been implemented

WHY. WHY.

I don't mind some grind to unlock ships. I don't mind paying for a service when the service is worth the price/time/fun. But this patch is horrible, and even if I wanted to play, it never finds any match whatsoever now. And even if I found a match, I now have to start with a fishing boat instead of playing with a dreadnought in the Dreadnought game.

WHY

Don't mean to be rude, my love

Why did you do this? Why did you let it happen, dev team?

I want to spend money in the game I liked. I want my Zmey to have a big a-ss greek sculpture on the front and ram people with it. To shoot all broadside weapons into the enemy awhile positioning to defend my teammates. I want a tactical-based teamwork game with giant capital ships. Maybe a Ranked mode. To unlock these hero-like inspiring designs from the lore manufacturers and fight like the Captains the players are supposed to be.

But no. Now I have to somehow "earn" the fun out of it just because.

Tier systems DO NOT WORK. It's power creeping and it fragments the demographic you want to reach. Nobody wants to play low tiers for long, and certainly less players will reach the top. And you CANT MATCH THEM TOGETHER BECAUSE BALANCE ISSUES.

So now you have 5 queues and a balancing nightmare nobody wants to be part of. That's without coming into play with the maintenance costs.

In the context of a fast "quickmatch based" game it doesn't work.

If the game somehow was a persistent Conquest Mode with each battle representing a planet or territory against player made factions, it kinda makes sense because there's a new and more in depth layer of a metagame going on. If this was the case, the more invested players would appreciate to climb in power to deploy and warmonger planets, and to draft new players in for their motives. That's kinda cool, ain't it?

Sadly, it's not like that. Mechwarrior Online has been trying to do this for some years. Shortcomings of that other F2P aside, the idea is solid. That game survives because it has a QuickMatch Button and a Faction Warfare button.

**Quickmatch could be the good old fun Dreadnought game without the power creep or grind. Just a competitive 10 min battle. Fast addictive and straight to the point. You buy ships akin to LoL champions or MWO mechs and battle with them.

Faction Warfare button has the Tier Grid and a separate Shipyard. Losses have an impact. Victories are delicious. Purchased cosmetics can be applied to both game modes.**

And still, ranting aside, linear Tiers and straight improvements are a problem because:

They interfere with the fantasy of the game
They interfere with the balance and cause frustration
To gimp a player with less features doesn't teach anything to said player to improve
It doesn't show what the game is actually about
Fragments the community unnecesarily

When some of the posters that come around the forums post so winded up, they don't try to be rude. They took their time to let out frustration in the forums and come back because they somehow CARE ABOUT THE GAME. THEY WANT THE GAME TO SUCCEED.

Some people don't know or understand what goes behind the curtains and how hard it is sometimes to push a project onwards in a deadline, or how the development time and costs work. I know the time and effort was spent on the latest patch and you have good will because it is your business and you want it to succeed, it's just sometimes we need to take a step back and rethink our path, and even redo over some things to improve and keep moving.

You have a good thing going on here. Dreadnought was a good game. Don't go into the WoT territory. It's dead and it's bad business.

Good luck and I hope it goes in the right direction at the end of the day.

Nov. 16, 2016, 8:22 p.m.

This very much. I'd have paid money in the old system for cosmetics and GP to unlock some modules a little early, though I was still level-restricted, which was fine. I'd have probably paid for Elite. In the new system I can't pay to skip the grind, and the nature of the cosmetics (lower-tier ships won't be touched ever again) means that I won't even want to pay for them until I've suffered through 25-30 hours of grind, and lots of players sure aren't going to be that patient. I'm less motivated to put money in the new system, even disregarding balance.

Nov. 16, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

I very much agree with the idea that the old Dreadnought was amazing and this new version is disappointing.

I was planning on just buying gold/premium time etc to unlock all the content in the game ASAP, and intended to just drop a couple hundred dollars into the game at launch. I had several friends who intended to do the same.

However after the tier system hit none of my friends play anymore (or have any interest in the game whatsoever, some are actively rooting for it to fail to punish what they perceive as arrogance) and I have to admit I have very little interest in logging in.

I really want the old dreadnought back, but I don't expect it. That would require the developer to tacitly admit that they were wrong and that the community was right. That is a huge hit to take to the ego, and more importantly a loss of face that would be harshly punished by investors (which would kill the project instantly).

Its a shame, I was HYPED for this game.

Nov. 17, 2016, 3:02 a.m.

It's very hard to accept it was a bad call if the idea was going to leave it like this, imagine having your time and resources already spent and you know it's not right. But to progress, it's important to admit you're doing it wrong.

I hope someone on the dev team actually reads this because, as I said, it's not about holding some kind of sick pleasure on slamming on something, it's about actually caring about the game.

Nov. 17, 2016, 7:25 a.m.

Yeah well, I suspect the same happens with this thread as with any other thread. It gets thoroughly ignored.

some are actively rooting for it to fail to punish what they perceive as arrogance

I don't think that perception is wrong. It takes a lot of arrogance to do something as badly as this and still go for the "we only need to finetune it" replies...

Nov. 17, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

Imrahil#3251 posted (#post-58825)

Yeah well, I suspect the same happens with this thread as with any other thread. It gets thoroughly ignored.

some are actively rooting for it to fail to punish what they perceive as arrogance

I don't think that perception is wrong. It takes a lot of arrogance to do something as badly as this and still go for the "we only need to finetune it" replies...

I've seen the devs turn around from mistakes which have been as poorly received as this before, and for now, I still have hope that Progression 2.0 will either be reverted or scrapped for progression 3.0 in the near future.

I'm not interested enough in the current state of the game to keep playing, but I'm not confident enough in the dev team's arrogance to uninstall yet, either. The fact that I'm seriously leaning toward the "uninstall" option isn't exactly something I'd consider a good sign, given how heavily I tend to promote games I enjoy with my friends, and how many of them tend to listen when I tell them a game is good.

I know a few of my friends are very into World of Tanks and World of Warships. Guess what the most common complaint they have about those games is? THE TIER SYSTEM IS STUPID. They should do things differently.

THE
TIER
SYSTEM
IS
STUPID

That is the most common complaint about games with linear progression of this type, EVEN when they have enough of a playerbase to actually support the model with proper tier-based matchmaking. This game doesn't even have the ability to make it merely the biggest problem with the game, let alone any valid case to claim it's something remotely resembling a good idea.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Nov. 17, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

We read every thread on the forums and compile the feedback, while we may not respond to every thread we do gather the feedback.

As all things game dev nothing is black and white, and figuring out what tweaks, changes, or modifications need to be made in the best interest of a great game takes time.

Imrahil#3251 posted (#post-58825)

Tim "Kalvothe" Slager Positive feedback is good for morale, critical feedback is good for the game.

Follow me on Twitter: @kalvothe

Nov. 17, 2016, 10:27 a.m.

This post remembered me to robocraft.I fell in love with it and the devs screw it up :/ I am sorry for you Cizjut,I know how it feels.

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

Nov. 17, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

DN_Dariuas#6010 posted (#post-59001)

We read every thread on the forums and compile the feedback, while we may not respond to every thread we do gather the feedback.

As all things game dev nothing is black and white, and figuring out what tweaks, changes, or modifications need to be made in the best interest of a great game takes time.

that's not entirely true tho: there is 1 thing that you guys have made VERRY clear about this patch:
you absolutely want to make sure T4 ships can join T1/2 matches once the games gets more populated (technicaly you havent even 100% blocked it as we speak but that's another story)

so ye despite all the feedback, you've made it clear you/your boss will not change his mind on some things :p

World of dreadnoughts ftw!

Nov. 17, 2016, 10:47 a.m.

DN_Dariuas#6010 posted (#post-59001)

Yes. Then again what are you supposed to say to a post that you have to reject because it challenges the fundamental assertion that everything is fine? Because nothing is anywhere close to "fine" right now. You're driving away people who were willing to pay a lot of money. And the worst thing is, you don't even believe what the statistics should be telling you: There is no mysterious flock of paying customers out there. Who wanted to buy stuff from you did.

Call it whatever you want, but you are already in open beta. Open Beta with almost all the potentially paying customers you're ever going to have. And those guys are quitting fast.

We're not in tweak or modification country any more. The most important thing that would need to change is your corporate communications culture. In a time when gamedevs reside more and more close to their fanbase an anachronism like this obviously permission based communications approach is right out stupid. Even a massive a-hole factory like the fun pimps have a better communication style than you. At least that guy outright tells everyone what is going to happen ahead of time. And he doesn't go 180° opposite to what the majority of his gamers want.

On release of a patch you should already be able to outline what is to come next and that needs to be public knowledge! But right now you have just about managed to terminally alienate a huge majority of your potential income source by keeping anything from them that'd keep them here just out of, ... yeah... actually, what?

What is this magical benefit you seem to grasp from this not telling people nonsense?

And on we go to no replies. It's almost like talking to a wall. Obvious bait is obvious.

Regards,
Imrahil

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.