FORUMS

Dreadnought: Future or failure?

Posted: //
Dec. 22, 2019, 6:16 p.m.

youve been gone for way too long. its been in this state maybe a month after the steam launch. most of the dev team jumped ship and the only updates are patches once in a blue moon. theres very little life left PC wise. forums reflect it well being a ghost town for weeks at a time. only big highlight is looks like the spammers have stopped bothering the site lol

you won't escape my Frightning bolts!!!

Dec. 23, 2019, 7:05 p.m.

Flustered Ferret#7828 posted (#post-279774) said:

Well I've just come back today after a break of about a year or so.

I've noticed a major graphics improvement and a new game mode. They've also altered the menu system quite a bit...which is taking some getting used to.

However, the worrying bit was trying to get a game in any mode...my favourite Onslaught and Deathmatch modes and even the new Conquest.

Waited 2-3 minutes but have been unable to get into any games. Had to settle for a few rounds of Proving Grounds. Also noticed the bots are a lot tougher than they used to be (even accounting for my rustiness). Definitely more challenging, but not the same as playing against real people.

I hate to ask this question, as I've seen it (and scoffed at it) on other game forums, but: is Dreadnought dying? I mean, it appears very few people are actually playing...

I noticed someone mentioned that a PvE campaign was in the works...or at least had been discussed. REALLY would like to see this (though it could be a moot point if the above is true).

Yeah, you'll have to wait more than 2-3 min for a game at this point, especially on PC. PS4 is doing better but still not good and its rare you get anything but Onslaught anymore.

Game has been on life support since the botched steam launch, and many single players left due to seal clubbing. The changes came too little too late.

I wouldnt expect anything beyond bug fixes and market updates beyond this point. Unless another dev comes in and takes over and ppurs a bunch of money in, dont expect more than that unfortunately.

As Skocknfunk said, even the forums are rather inactive anymore with long time regulars no longer posting.

Jan. 8, 2020, 5:27 p.m.

well I don't know what Miguel is up to theses days, but Kyle now works for Gearbox, and I believe Sean is working for Epic, but I could be wrong.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

Jan. 31, 2020, 7:20 p.m.

The game has been in maintenance mode since steam release. It's only a matter of time before Dreadnaught goes the same way as Gigantic, APB, Hawken, ect.The devs refused to address the communities complaints about progression and the in game economy untill the game was hemorraging players faster than they could hope to recover them.

Let this be yet another example of why devs with a "we know whats best for our game" attitude are doomed to fail.

Feb. 1, 2020, 6:25 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 2, 2020, 5:36 p.m.

I hope that there is still one of them around to feel the guilt and shame they all deserved. I was a nice community member to them, treated them with respect and kindness, yet they were just lying to us as Developers always do. No one lost even a single word about financial problems or other grave issues, Dreadnought just stopped growing. I am sick of such people who create awesome games and just ruin them. Robocraft, HAWKEN (played it only once or twice during the end of its life cycle), War Thunder (#SaveTheMaus), Dreadnought... The Gaming Industry is in an inacceptable condition and I am sick of it. No one listens, no one cares, no one acts.

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

Feb. 26, 2020, 10:27 a.m.

Updated //
Feb. 26, 2020, 4:37 p.m.

It seems interesting to me that this topic is brought up by people here on the forums as there seems to be almost no overlap between the different portions of the community. For example, should you be on the Dreadnought Discord (https://discordapp.com/invite/dreadnought), you would be aware that there has been updates pratically every month starting on the 6th of August 2019, with an announced pause from DN_RayDogCarrotCake beginning in the holidays, with the pause now ended, and they have a patch ready to go but are having issues with updating the servers.

Speaking of DN_RayDogCarrotCake, he is the one behind the recent updates, including bringing havoc parts on PC, the new Decals and his very own coating, Carrot Cake, that is using a previously completely unused portion of coatings: Changing the engine colours.

There is currently only one Dev active as far as we are aware, and that is the aforementioned DN_RayDogCarrotCake, however DN_Space_Ghost is still taking care of the servers.

It should be noted that the recent patches have been based on Player Feedback and so is the upcoming next one too. So I supposed I should say REJOICE! Your voices are indeed being heard, somewhat, and Devs are trying their best to make things better. Here are some examples of things that have improved for the better in-game:

1. Artillery Pods have a hitbox, a problem that has plagued the game since forever
  2. Cloaks are now once again going on cooldown when they are broken
  3. You can no longer be invincible, which means that Corvette shields are no longer 100% blocking damage, only 95%, and Armour now caps at 95% as well
  4. Beam Turrets on Corvettes are now very strong under Power to Weapons
  5. Oberon Artillery Cruisers are now shooting way faster and are quite the force to reckon with
  6. Missile Repeater no longer disappear immediately after you die in the next patch
  7. Scylla Torpedo is now a strong Primary Module in combination with Stasis Ammo
  8. Dreadnought Primary Weapons are now viable, even the Jutlands' pathetic guns are no longer a joke
  9. Beam Turrets on Corvettes are now very strong under Power to Weapons
  10. Drain Drones are now a hard counter to Get my Good Side and Retaliator by extension

And this list is not exhaustive, new things are being fixed on the regular.

When it comes to new content, what can I say? There hasn't been a new gamemode since Beta, there hasn't been a new type of ship since Alpha. Expecting either of those at this point is more than unreasonable, it is from my perspective downright laughable. Yet, once again, REJOICE! There is a confirmed Custom Match UI that exists for the game on their side and they are trying to figure out how to push it out properly. Havoc might even get pushed on to PC at some point too, since it exists within the game files, but it needs a proper way to be accessed through the UI.

Now to the question at hand: Is the game dead? It depends.

• If what you mean is "Can I expect major changes in the near future", then yes, the game is indeed dead and will stay in it's current state for a foreseeable future.
  • If what you mean is "Will there stilll be updates to this game", then no, the game is definitely not dead and it's being worked on, if only progressively and with a combination of balance patches and Market Updates.
  • If what you mean is "Are there still new players coming in for this game", then once again no, the game is definitely not dead. The population of the game has been somewhat steady in the past 6 months and there has been a continuous influx of new players, resulting in a slow but noticeable increase in people. Legendary is Popping every 10 minutes as there is practically always a match going on. You can play Veteran and Recruit with humans and bots.

Is the game dead? I don't know, but to me at least, the game is getting way better, slowly but very surely, there are new people joining all of the time, making it feel anything but dead, and I am looking forward to the in-game changes that the next patch will bring.

My Discord handle is SomethingUsername#7939, hit me up there and I will answer you way faster than here.

In addition, I highly suggest you join the Official Dreadnought Discord (https://discordapp.com/invite/dreadnought, use the command "!verify" in the channel #bot-spam) if you require help of any kind, the community is, and has always been, far more active there and you will receive answers to your questions far more rapidly on it.

Dreadnought

Feb. 28, 2020, 5:46 p.m.

They should just throw away the Tiers and Maintenance costs. No one really needs progression to enjoy a game. Its mostly just a meaningless hill that contributes nothing to the core gameplay. Trying to push it FTP with a Tech Tree (aka Progression 2.0) was the biggest mistake they could have taken. I quit shortly after Progression 2.0 (with many others) because I couldn't take such a money greedy aproach.

For the weeb in all of us! Anime Skins & Decals!
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/4472/
DESS! DESS! DESS!

Feb. 28, 2020, 6:48 p.m.

well, thats basically any FTP game. at least its not like others where you need to buy to win. the progressions sucks, sure, but it could be worse.

Feb. 28, 2020, 7:20 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 28, 2020, 10:56 p.m.

LightMonk#8477 posted (#post-279830) said:

"They should just throw away the Tiers and Maintenance costs."

Tiers are necessary in order to have a smoother progression within the game without having people who literally just started get their face kicked in by people who have been playing since the beginning of Alpha. It's also important to note that without the progression system, unlocking everything is way too fast to have any sort of player retention. People leave because they have done everything there is to be done.

In addition, Maintenance hasn't been a thing since forever, you would know this if you played the game in the last 2.5 years.

"No one really needs progression to enjoy a game. Its mostly just a meaningless hill that contributes nothing to the core gameplay."

The pleasure of playing a game is the feeling of accomplishment, be it outwitting your enemy, which can just as well be an AI or a player, unlocking something, or simply getting farther in the game then you were previously by completing a level or getting the next portion of its story. A progression system plays into this by making you feel like you accoomplished something when you get a new module, a new ship, a new Officer Briefing.

"Trying to push it FTP with a Tech Tree (aka Progression 2.0) was the biggest mistake they could have taken."

Dreadnought is way, way too far from being good enough to pay money to buy. Making it Free-to-Play was the only logical solution in order to be able to release the game with a lower amount of criticism and expectations.

For example, did you know that you can have a racial slur as your name? Any AAA game that you pay money for would prevent you from doing such a thing, but not with Greybox. Look below for a perfect example of said racial slurs being caught in-game.

Racial slur in a name

When a game is launched, any good game would have servers fixed within a day or 2 so that you can play it, but not Dreadnought, where you had to wait for a month before the servers were stable. Things like this are why it is better for it to be Free-to-Play: It's just not worth money to buy it.

"I quit shortly after Progression 2.0 (with many others) because I couldn't take such a money greedy aproach."

Then you are completely unaware of what has happened in the game since they resetted all of your previous progression and cannot give an informed opinion on what should be done to improve the game.

A nice day to you my good sire.

My Discord handle is SomethingUsername#7939, hit me up there and I will answer you way faster than here.

In addition, I highly suggest you join the Official Dreadnought Discord (https://discordapp.com/invite/dreadnought, use the command "!verify" in the channel #bot-spam) if you require help of any kind, the community is, and has always been, far more active there and you will receive answers to your questions far more rapidly on it.

Dreadnought

Feb. 29, 2020, 6:21 p.m.

They actually had ship maintenance in the early days? that sounds annoying and tedious: Ive never like having to repair things in games

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.