FORUMS

The Current State Of The Game

Posted: //
May 10, 2020, 7:56 p.m.

...or if we are really looking for a clean slate: Dreadnought 2

May 11, 2020, 11:51 a.m.

i dont think it did well enough to warrent a sequel.

you won't escape my Frightning bolts!!!

May 14, 2020, 3:54 p.m.

So I think player retention falls to a few things:

1) Progression: The progression in this game is way to quick to tier 4, where the true meat of the game lies. This needs to be lengthened and stretched out so as not to suddenly hit the progression wall that is tier 4/5. This can be done in an artificial way (to me) in that you just increase resource requirements as tiers increase (more than they are now). You could also do what most tier-based PvP games do and have 10 teirs instead of 5; this I think is the best route, but the development resources certainly are not there.

2) Seal-clubbers: They're an issue but an inevitable issue; every PvP game there is has seal-clubbers to some degree. The thing that needs to be done is to disincentivise them. How, I have no clue.

3) SBMM: I've heard that there is skill-based matchmaking in Dreadnought, but I haven't experienced that. They could implement it, but then they risk the probability that the playerbase gets spread out way too thin, and you wind up not having enough players for enough matches at the same time.

These are just my ideas. Feel free to disagree, as these are just things that I've noticed. However, looking at some in-game ship stats (HP vs ABW dmg), I think it serves its purpose a bit too well. To me, ABW's purpose is to nuke squishy targets, which it does. I think either reducing its damage by, like, 2000 (not a huge fan) or reducing its effectiveness against shields (better, but not perfect) is a step in the right direction.

I also think that corvettes are a high skill ceiling class, so more advanced players flock to them and so are able to do better in them than a newer or even a bad player. I've played a a few matches in corvettes and couldn't really do anything except die repeatedly. However, I found that I can do better in the more simple classes, like dreadnoughts and destroyers or even the AV TC's (they're easymode to me). I do think, though, that corvettes are in a pretty good place, but they're being overly represented by good players, thus deterring newer players who literally don't know what hit them.

Now, do I think I know everything? Of course not, but this is just my opinion. I've played several of these tier-based vehicle PvP games, and this one is the one I have the most fun with, so I want to see it succeed. Do provide your thoughts, but keep it calm, gentlemen.

Dread naught.

May 15, 2020, 12:02 p.m.

your observation checks out quite well.

May 17, 2020, 9:01 a.m.

This entier thread should have been called "Another rant about corvettes".

On that subject, my opinion is simple. Corvettes aren't OP.

Its when squad of players choose all the same class of ship, and regardless of the class, that the balance of the game breaks.

Pick any class of ships, have 4 players in a coordinated squad with voice chat play those ships and have them all the same module selection and you will see how the game loses all balance.

The game was made with the idea to have diverse fleet of ships. With about 2 of each classes of ships on each side. Now picture the following combos and you will understand how the balance completely disappear.

4 tactical cruisers, all equipped with artillery pods, heal pods, 2 autorepair beam and overclock pulse, energy generator and the right OBs combos. I met such a squad once when Adrenaline shot triggered at 100% health. I left the match, since there was no point to play.

Anyone remembers when the SOS clan would join matches with 4 ramming Vindictas. Yeah, I have few fond memories of those times. Another time I met a 3 destroyer squad that weapon boosted a single healer. Completely invincible.

How about 4 Dreadnoughts, pick either close range builds or nuking builds. Doesn't make a difference really.

And 4 artillery cruiser that voice chat to select the same targets. You think your team will stand a chance, well, think again.

And I won't talk about corvettes because you already know what they can do.

description

Click here to see my Tutorial videos for beginners and Twitch page

May 17, 2020, 12:02 p.m.

this is also true. the premades i knew couldnt bother with was ones that had usually 3-4 tac healers dedicated to a dread or two arties and trying to burn down one healer just to get heals from the others while being spotted just sucked. stacking on that was i did play solo so most pugs never cared for utility mods and thought straight firepower would always win. i wasent a fan of entire groups of vindictas and thought they where way more rage inducing to go against then most vette squads.

Atleast when the game was doing pretty well with the population i didnt run into them too often unless i qued up immediately after. if i joined more groups may have also had a better time with them as well but o well i was lazy lol.

May 17, 2020, 3:57 p.m.

Premades is something I forgot to mention. Indeed, they can be devastating, expecially destroyers/dreadnoughts coupled with 3 tac cruisers (recently experienced that myself and I almost raged. A sigh and a two minute break fixed that). Since I don't really play lower tiers, how often do these premades show up in veteran and novice? In legendary, it seems they show up fairly regularly.

From what I understand, the reason corvettes were so heavily commented upon in this thread is because corvettes are a common gripe newer players have with the game, so OP was trying to address how to fix that in the new player experience .

Dread naught.

May 18, 2020, 10:20 a.m.

Ymran218#0460 posted (#post-279945) said:

So I think player retention falls to a few things:

1) Progression: The progression in this game is way to quick to tier 4, where the true meat of the game lies. This needs to be lengthened and stretched out so as not to suddenly hit the progression wall that is tier 4/5. This can be done in an artificial way (to me) in that you just increase resource requirements as tiers increase (more than they are now). You could also do what most tier-based PvP games do and have 10 teirs instead of 5; this I think is the best route, but the development resources certainly are not there.

I understand your point but given the gripes about progression at T4 and T5 Im not sure lenghtening T3 or any of them will do more than drive away new players. Some feel at T4 they hit a wall with how long it takes and wont even try T5 (given the game is FtP it makes it easier to just abandon it since no money has been invested).

MM has been an issue since day 1 it seems. squads have such an advantage from communication and in my playing time Ive noticed a lot of solos will just ignore any alerts you may give and do their own thing. nothing you can do about that though.

May 18, 2020, 10:28 a.m.

I get that the progression doesn't need to be lengthened. I'm thinking the progression curve needs to be not as extreme. In regards to MM, they could do what WoT does and put party against party, but I'm not sure that would be good because of the size of the playerbase. I'm also dubious about SBMM.

Dread naught.

May 18, 2020, 2:18 p.m.

the game is stuck in this vicious cycle and cant seem to find any way out. only thing i can think of ever trying is to revert the progression back to what it was prior to Tier patch and award the vets all the cosmetics(hull and patterns) per ship they have researched enough to unlock next or fully researched along with some GP. Won't ever happen of course.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.