FORUMS

Fighter Rework

Posted: //
July 10, 2020, 10:40 a.m.

Updated //
July 10, 2020, 1:59 p.m.

I will be taking tier 4 as a basis due to not so much difference in stats between tier 4 and tier 5 fighters and the problematic "no reason to unlock t5 whatsoever".

In tier 4 module screen says the following;

-1000 DMG per second

-1000 HP per fighter jet

-2000 KM roaming range

-80 second cooldown time

Before making any suggestions, lets talk about problems here.

In game 1000 DMG per second translates as 1 fighter doing 187 damage with each hit, but not all fighters can shoot at the same target even if there is only 1 target. This is due to their weapon range, turn rate, and their distance to the enemy

If a fighter detects an enemy ship they start turning also moving towards them, but they turn so slowly before they can get the enemy at their cone of fire they get too close so they only have 1-3 seconds of opening to fire which cripples the damage output, hence turn rate must be superior to their overall velocity

Also if you deploy fighters early on before engagement they fall behind unable to follow you fast enough (1-2 km behind) Hence their velocity must be increased

And lastly their cone of fire + range will always be a problem since they dont have a very smart AI nor roaming range my suggestions as follows;

**(Tier4) (Tier 5 should be improved taking Tier 4 as basis..)

-Damage per hit 220 from 187

-2000 roaming range + 1500 weapon range / Total of 3500 maximum firing range based on carrier itself

-50s Cooldown time from 80s (80 is too punishing with nukes, cluster nukes, torpedos, siege modules..)

-Cone of fire x+30 (Their current cone of fire feels like 30' from my multiple testings in proving grounds gamemode against bots)

-Their max forward speed +%25 so that they can catch up to the carrier (I was using T4 Oberon Carrier at full speed with no speed buffs or speed effecting officer briefings yet they are usually stuck 1-1.5 km behind.

-Their acceleration must be doubled, their reaction time is absolute 0

-And most importantly their turn rate must be %200 OR %250(due to velocity increase which can cause further turning problems in CQB battles) besides they are fighters should they feel like medium corvette of oberon which is faster than heavy corvette yet sluggish than a destroyer when it comes to turning

July 10, 2020, 8:13 p.m.

The moving behaviour of all the ships in the game is hardcoded and manually done. In addition, turning, velocity, forward speed and a bunch of other things are calculated through a bunch of variables and aren't all unique values.

It's not as simple as editing a txt file.

Nothing

Doing 1000 dmg/s is pretty terrible, since you can literally do more than that with your main gun if you just hit and any of the other modules in that slot other than Bombers and Interceptors do more DPS already, which means you have no reason to use them for such laughably low numbers. I also need to point out that the tooltip numbers are extremely unreliable and 1000DPS is not the actual amount of damage they do. Each fighter does 200 dmg, with the DPS translating to ~814 as they shoot slightly faster than i time a second. You obtain the 187 number because of the passive resistance on enemy ships, which I will assume you tested with bots in Proving Grounds, which means 6.5% resistance from Engineering 101, quick math with those numbers reveals that (200x-6.5/100)+200=187, so that's why you are seeing the 187dmg number.

Nothing

In addition, you're ignoring the fact that Fighters, like the other starfighters modules, can only have one squadron at a time, meaning that you can only have 8 of them, which in turn means that you can't spam them to do more DPS, rendering the advantage of a swarm of Figthers null.

Increasing the value of "m_maxConcurrentActors" from 8 to 32 and lowering the Cooldown from 80s to 30s would allow you to actively spam them and mitigate the problem of having them not follow you. If you don't have fighters next to you, use Retaliator and Get my Good Side to just barf out another volley while the other one slowly gets there. This also means that you can increase their DPS without changing their engagement distance nor turning distance and ensures you always make a decent amount of damage to your enemy as you can now have up to 32 fighters on the battlefield at the same time, which amounts to 4 volleys of fighters dealing a total of 3256 DPS at Tier IV and 4032 DPS at Tier V.

The other advantage of increasing the number of Fighters you can have on the battlefield is that they can now actively reduce the amount of damage you are taking yourself as you now have an extra 32000 HP roaming around you at Tier IV and a whopping 64000 extra HP at Tier V, landing far more utility to the module than it originally had.

Nothing

TL;DR

Just change the following values instead:

• m_coolDown = 30
  • m_maxConcurrentActors = 32

These values are in fact readily editable as numbers for the Devs, which prevents needing to completely rework the code for the moving behaviour of the ship and you have less things that need to be done before the change is implemented.

My Discord handle is SomethingUsername#7939, hit me up there and I will answer you way faster than here.

In addition, I highly suggest you join the Official Dreadnought Discord (https://discordapp.com/invite/dreadnought, use the command "!verify" in the channel #bot-spam) if you require help of any kind, the community is, and has always been, far more active there and you will receive answers to your questions far more rapidly on it.

Dreadnought

July 10, 2020, 8:48 p.m.

i didnt ignore that we cant spam them i know max is 8 if you press again previous ones blow up, i want 80 seconds of reload to be reduced to 50 in order to compensate for buffed up nukes that makes people choose them

nukes, siege modules, aoe torpedos of both destroyers and dreads, ..... destroys them instintly (broadside modules cannot interfered yet deal 9k-12k damage depending on type at t4 but fighters can be destroyed by any means very easily - flaks nukes torpedoes or just being in line of fire standing in between... so they should be stronger than a broadside)

you can make alternatives to catching up but if you dont change firing range than they wont be doing any damage at all once again their current fire range is around 500meters and with their turn rate they can only have 1-3 seconds of firing time before turning around

also your 32 fighter concept is tooo much, both would turn the ship into a full blown carrier not a dread, would lag the server, look weird and scary in combat, or just blown up by a flak

32 fighters is just a lazy attempt to fix that would only bring more problems even crashes imagine 2 dreads on both teams 4 total all have fighter bays

4x 32 fighters = 128 ai

that only seems like useless fighters still useless yet now there is 128 of them kinda situation

July 10, 2020, 8:49 p.m.

but i appreciate math behind 200 / 187 damage still 200 is lame when they cant fire due to their speed and lagging behind, turn rate, cone of fire, fire range

July 11, 2020, 9:04 a.m.

also i am a modder for various games from crysis, battlefield to star wars franchises for more than 10 years, i digged up a bit after you pointed out its not txt, and yes its not as it seems

There are usually 3 types of data files available for modding: txt, excel, customs

and dreadnought so happens to use excel which is same as cryengine's newer games such as kingdom come deliverence which i also worked with a bit more time consuming but much more easier than a txt when it comes to balancing multiple tiers

after finishing one tier harder than it would be in a txt, you can just increase values for other tiers by either flat amount or by %s as all values stand side by side in excel

i would give it 2 hours max to implement anything but anti missile laser fighters

July 11, 2020, 9:04 a.m.

excel file can be accessed in discord by datamine command

July 11, 2020, 9:05 a.m.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rAgxzB8hxoRj81ZUW_xxNhWMNXipJgVD5bQArBBv920/edit?usp=sharing

July 11, 2020, 9:06 a.m.

Dreadnought Fighters IV 4 1000 0 200 814 3000 0 80 8 950 1 200 1200 700 1100 2000

although 950 seems to be their firing range in datamine i suppose there is a delay before they start firing which causing them tto have usually a firing range of max 500meterrs

July 11, 2020, 9:09 a.m.

found it tier4 fighters have m_engageInDistance 700 which causes them to ignore max 950 firing range

and tier 5 fighters have a bug, they got 2000 firing range but even shorter 400 m_engageInDistance which is absurd

July 11, 2020, 9:16 a.m.

Updated //
July 11, 2020, 9:36 a.m.

Dreadnought Fighters IV 4 1000 0 250 (DPS unknown fire rate value, cant calculate) 3000 0 50 8 1500 1 250 1500 1200 2000 2500 4 10

Dreadnought Fighters V 4 2000 0 300 (DPS unknown fire rate value, cant calculate) 3000 0 45 8 2000 1 300 2000 2000 2500 2500 4 10

This is all FIXED and only took 15 20 minutes i assume not even 2 hours (without testing)

Also please note both t4 and t5 fighters have their "m_engageInDistance", "m_engageOutDistance", and firing ranges BUGGED, it is not they were made weak. That problem that gives them only 300 meters of engagment range opening regardless of max range is the bug.

They close in to their enemy yet dont fire till enemy is at 700 meters then they fire but when enemy is 400 meters away they retreat for 3 seconds (dont engage anything for 3 seconds - retargeting time) then make another gunrun but since their turn rate and velocity is low they can only get away as far as 500-600 meters away so when they turn for another gunrun they are at 500-600 meters and only have 100-200 meters left before turning around once again

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.