FORUMS

Ship Concept: Mothership

Posted: //
May 25, 2021, 7:15 a.m.

Updated //
May 25, 2021, 7:16 a.m.

Hey Captains and Developers, The 'Simplified and Streamlined' patch got me thinking on how to bring some possible new content to the game and I thought of how Legendary could be spiced up a bit. This lead to the idea of: The Mothership Since it would be a hassle to figure out how to make Command Ships more impactful/controllable during a match, this was the next best thing I could think up. I do know it's likely just a pipe dream, but I thought I'd throw it out here. The mothership would ideally be large enough for friendly ships to fly into it and, as a consequence, be ridiculously easy to hit.

Mothership: Larger than even the mighty dreadnoughts, Motherships have the unique ability to grant the normally personal buffs derived from diverting power to nearby friendly ships. Additionally, their construction is usually made to act as a rally point and mobile cover for friendly ships, granting many of them the moniker: ‘Barrier ships’. While large, their power does not come from overwhelming firepower, that’s the job of a dedicated Dreadnought or Destroyer. Their power comes from the ability to strike almost any point on the map and their far-reaching abilities.

Primary weapon: Enhanced particle cannon (Use Tier 4 or 5 Destroyer secondary weapon, no damage falloff, inflicts rupture?)

Secondary weapon (Changes view to inner ring/near mothership): Energy restoration beam, heal beam, cool down beam

Modules: 'Passive'-like modules, Global Modules (like Dreadnought fighters), wall generators (for defending allies/self, could possibly just cause part of the ship's model to fold/extend)

Special: Diverting energy to weapons, engines, or shields also benefits allied ships that are within close range (depends on ship's faction).

Fleets: Legendary Only

Thanks for taking the time to read over this concept idea!

May 26, 2021, 9:28 p.m.

Hey Tsunamiatunzen1, This is a really cool concept! I think this could be expanded to satisfy something many have been wanting since the beta: carriers. Perhaps the primary weapon would be the support ability (heal beam, buff beam, etc.) and secondaries would be a very strong point defense weapon (rapid heavy flak, heavy machine gun turret, multicannons). Each module slot could be a fighter, bomber, interceptor, or even drone (for repairs or buffs) wing. If you want to see maybe how this could look, check out the Paragon from Fractured Space, which was a unique supercarrier type ship. It wasn't broken from what I could tell or what others have said, which gives me hope that they could be implemented into Dreadnought without disrupting the balance. There are a lot of directions something like this could go! Hopefully it gets added someday!

June 25, 2021, 4:24 a.m.

Updated //
June 25, 2021, 4:25 a.m.

The idea of a command/carrier ship for Dreadnought is as old as the closed beta of the game. And, with the current dev team of 2 people it's never going to be a thing.

Frankly, I'm still waiting after custom mode. Something that shouldn't be too hard to implement, was announced in august 2020 that is was coming in december and I'm still waiting. So, don't get your hopes up for an entire new line of ships.

description

Click here to see my Tutorial videos for beginners and Twitch page

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.