FORUMS

Windows 10 prevents installer from running

Posted: //
Jan. 21, 2016, 8:17 a.m.

I just received an alpha-code and downloaded the launcher. When I try to run it Windows 10 pops up and tells me that it kept the installer from running and running it anyway might constitute a risk to my PC.

I know that Windows 7 does a similar thing whenever you try to run an EXE file that's from an "unknown" source, but I've been on Windows 10 for a few months now, installing & uninstalling various software as you would and I've never seen this pop-up before, so I'm a little hesitant to hit "Run anyway".

Can someone tell me what's going on here?

Jan. 21, 2016, 8:21 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 21, 2016, 8:22 a.m.

orangeInk#4151 posted (#post-10501)

I just received an alpha-code and downloaded the launcher. When I try to run it Windows 10 pops up and tells me that it kept the installer from running and running it anyway might constitute a risk to my PC.

I know that Windows 7 does a similar thing whenever you try to run an EXE file that's from an "unknown" source, but I've been on Windows 10 for a few months now, installing & uninstalling various software as you would and I've never seen this pop-up before, so I'm a little hesitant to hit "Run anyway".

Can someone tell me what's going on here?

This should go under the Alpha forums, but I can answer here anyways. I have been running the game under Windows 10 for quite some time, and it works great. The reason you are given this warning is most likely because the game is still in early development and under NDA. So all the "paperwork" like right certificates and proper registration are not in place, in addition to it being a .exe file makes it extra suspicious to Microsoft. I am however surprised that you haven't gotten these before when running .exe files from the internet for less known applications. I assume you downloaded the .exe file from official sources and not somewhere random smile

Dreadnought Testers - Chat & VoIP

Jan. 21, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 21, 2016, 8:39 a.m.

1. Sorry, I was looking through the Dreadnought forums and didn't see a sub-section that was more appropriate for this post than "General". I didn't realize that there is an almost entirely separate Alpha forum.

2. I'm quite familiar with Windows 7's way of putting a windows-style pop-up in the middle of your screen, telling you that the exe comes from an unknown source and giving you 2 buttons to either cancel or run anyway. But when I try to run the DN installer Windows 10 puts a filter over my screen, darkening everything and puts a huge blue box in middle of my screen with only 1 button that says "Cancel". I have to hit "Show more info" for it to even show the "Run aynway"-button. And I can honestly say that I've never seen that before, even after using Windows 10 for several months now.

3. I downloaded the installer from the account settings page on this site.

Thanks for the quick response.

Jan. 21, 2016, 8:42 a.m.

It's the exact same thing as the Windows 7 they just wanted to make it seems "scarier", I guess. It's naturally up to you if you wish to run it or not, I received the same popup the first time and it has been running fine.

Jan. 21, 2016, 8:50 a.m.

orangeInk#4151 posted (#post-10512)

1. Sorry, I was looking through the Dreadnought forums and didn't see a sub-section that was more appropriate for this post than "General". I didn't realize that there is an almost entirely separate Alpha forum.

2. I'm quite familiar with Windows 7's way of putting a windows-style pop-up in the middle of your screen, telling you that the exe comes from an unknown source and giving you 2 buttons to either cancel or run anyway. But when I try to run the DN installer Windows 10 puts a filter over my screen, darkening everything and puts a huge blue box in middle of my screen with only 1 button that says "Cancel". I have to hit "Show more info" for it to even show the "Run aynway"-button. And I can honestly say that I've never seen that before, even after using Windows 10 for several months now.

3. I downloaded the installer from the account settings page on this site.

Thanks for the quick response.

I just figured it out.
You download the installer
then choose view download
right click on installer
choose run anyway
It will give you a blue screen and another warning
Then you will see more option or info I forget
when you choose that it will give you the run anyway option and the game will install.

I don't know why he just didn't tell you that.

Jan. 21, 2016, 8:54 a.m.

itsmebryan#3856 posted (#post-10519)

I just figured it out.
You download the installer
then choose view download
right click on installer
choose run anyway
It will give you a blue screen and another warning
Then you will see more option or info I forget
when you choose that it will give you the run anyway option and the game will install.

I don't know why he just didn't tell you that.

He has figured out how to install it, he is just hesitant to actually install it, and wonders why he is getting those warnings smile

Jan. 21, 2016, 9:50 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 21, 2016, 9:52 p.m.

wow hopefully they make that more efficient... I'm still stuck on windows 8

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.
˙˙˙sǝʇnuᴉɯ ǝɹoɯ ǝʌᴉɟ

Jan. 21, 2016, 9:51 p.m.

you guys bring up a good point... this forum sure will become chaotic. I think the only solution is to carefully categorize and regulate these topics more.... this could slow down feedback time and require more community managers, but it looks like it may become necessary. I wonder if there is a way to compress forums that accidentally repeat something. sorry for being slightly off topic

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.
˙˙˙sǝʇnuᴉɯ ǝɹoɯ ǝʌᴉɟ

Sept. 25, 2016, 2 p.m.

Did you guys all checked your Firewall? Sometimes the Firewall blocks certain games thinking they're undesirable

June 15, 2018, 5:03 p.m.

help me i have window 10 probliem already

This game working with windows 10 or with windows 8 Because i have window 10 gave me loy for probliems

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.