FORUMS

List of things that I hate about progression 2.0

Posted: //
Nov. 21, 2016, 12:39 p.m.

Updated //
Nov. 21, 2016, 12:42 p.m.

This is not a suggestion post. There have been many ideas posted on the forums including the ones in my signature. ( https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/16309/ )
I'm just gonna write some basic stuff down that I hate about progression 2.0

You turned the progression from pre patch; the boring, unintuitive and too simple progression system that just felt like a placeholder, into a complete and utter mess.
Welcome to world of dreadnought everybody

1. Tech Trees

Tech Trees limit the freedom of choice, both ship and module trees. There is absoultely no reason to have this besides stretching out the grind, frustrating players and making the people who can afford it buy the resources to get new ships/modules, making the game feel more like a cheap cashgrab game.
Instead of a forced Tech Tree, I want to choose what to grind for.

2. Tiers

In general Tiers can be OK. But the way Dreadnought is handling them is just bad.
The fact that different Tiers can play together with such a huge differences in power per tier puzzles me.
Its not fun to get stomped on by players that just have a higher tier than you, grinding your way up and then get once again stomped on by the next tier.
That said. Module Upgrades are bad. Stat differences are bad. Non existend Officer Briefings in T1-2 are bad.
Minor differences are ok, like more choices and customization in loadouts on higher tiers.
Think about pre 2.0. New players already didn't stand much of a chance against mid level players simple because of their advantages in modules and customization, and high levels were better than mid levels as well.

3. Officer briefings and Secondarys

same problem as point 1. I can offer a simple solution here. Officer Briefings are unlocked by Rank. done.
Secondarys also are locked behind a silly Tech Tree. I can understand it if its locked in some tiers like 1 and you can't choose one, but you have to grind through a silly tech tree to get certain secondarys.
Players are limited to a path that the devs chose..

4. Pricing

Horrible. The Grind. Its so bad, but I guess I don't need to explain. Like I said this the current system with trees and modules it seems like you just want people to pay real money to get where they want.

5. Maintenance

Why does this exist
Do you really want to lose more players?

I hope I didn't miss anything important. I haven't played DN after the first week of release of 2.0, and a lot of my friends are playing less frequently now or have simply stopped playing until this is fixed.

Blue Vengeance - Deutscher Multigaming Casual Clan

Nov. 21, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions.

March 16, 2017, 11:32 p.m.

Updated //
March 17, 2017, 11:25 p.m.

maintenance is indeeed very silly. Might as well just half the credit gains on average then and remove the maintenance costs...

bad / casual players will lose credit and become demotivated.

forcing people to drop back into t2 so they then can play veteran / legend... is just wow.

Who came up with the idea? Make the players suffer in order for them to then access the content they enjoy? really? You will never make money with such a concept D:
A player who can't play his desired content is a player who will quit your game. If I want to play in the legendary league but you will regularly force me into recruit leagues I will quit, cause that is not what I came here to play. It's very simple psychology only few people will put up with such a struggle.

Big spenders will benefit a lot from this system and that's what will motivate them. But they don't make up majority of the community and if only they are left, matchmaking will probably take ~30 minutes if that happens the big spenders wont play and invest in this game because they have no people to play with.

these so called paywalls are a terrible concept and will only bring you short term income.
There will be bad reviews and money will be flowing in for half a year tops. Barely enough to probably break even if you actively plan on keeping up the developement.

Long term profits need prestige items for purchase and a healthy community + e-sports. So if you really want to cash in you should focus on that.

ofc this is only beta. So the game needn't be perfect or even good at this point. But the concept should be right from the start.

So my concrete suggestions:
- you should already be planning tournaments for the full release. This will draw good players to this game. They tend to be online streamers. Online streaming will give this game A LOT of reputation.

• ease up on the grind at first and be a little more generous towards beginners. The first ship of each tier should be attained a lot easier and then slowly inflate their cost. If you must stick with that weird maintenance system make it very cheap for a single ship fleet but grow in cost exponentially the more ships you have in your fleet. e.g.

200 x 1.2^(tierlvl) x #ofships x 1.2^#ofships

one t3 would then cost ~345credist maintenance while a full fleet of t3 costs ~4300 credits(that might be a bit high but on the other hand you also greatly increase your odds of winning as you can adapt to enemy loadouts better)
So as players progress they have increasing maintenance costs but their need for upgrades also decreases thus it is a much fairer income plan.

• cosmetics! If I understood right true customizations starts at T5 and if my estimate isn't wrong I will probably need at least another two weeks before i reach t4. So at this pace I might be loking at another 1~2 months until I'm somewhere at T5 and than begin to worry about cosmetics. The little that I have seen so far are barely noticable stuff. e.g. the patterns are so minimalistic no one will ever recognize them on the battle field... And so forth for most options there are. The visual customizations need to stand out more AND they need to be accessible! for me a person who spends up to 8 hours a day playing a game I will have to play 1~2 months until I would even consider spending money on this game as that's when customization finally is accessible to me ( WHY????!!). I don't deem paywalls and p2w fair nor good nor smart and I only spend money on cosmetics by principle. But If I can even barely recoginze my own customizations why should I bother at all?

March 17, 2017, 2:46 a.m.

There is only one thing left that I hate about progression 2.0

It still exists.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

March 17, 2017, 6:54 a.m.

i agree that the module tree is silly and fooling players, like the armor amp at lv5 is worse than lv1, higher lv but lower efficiency, who design this module is dumbass.

March 17, 2017, 9:56 a.m.

Not to mention the issues matching faces because the game can't detect what you play when you have multiple tiers in 1 fleet.

Dreadnought Support Tool | Customer Support | Dreadnought Discord | Ship Datamine - by Snib

March 18, 2017, 8:28 a.m.

Updated //
March 18, 2017, 8:29 a.m.

Tiers itself broke whole matchmaking. It puts so much variables into it, it just can't work properly. I have yet to see someone, who actually loves progression 2.0. I know there are some people, who are defending it, however even these people have some objections.

I can't believe even developers like their own system. If they are playing their own game, I am pretty sure they don't like it as much as we do. So who is pulling strings is beyond me.

March 18, 2017, 7:22 p.m.

Updated //
March 18, 2017, 7:34 p.m.

I don't know. I'm a total noob to this game, so my perspective may be a little different. But as the new guy, I can say I have been thoroughly enjoying the tier and progression system thus far. Having come from other games without a tier system at all (like Titanfall 2), I am thankful it exists here. So I wouldn't say its garbage or scrap it. Perhaps it needs some refinement; perhaps it can be adjusted at higher levels. But as a new player, I can say that it is nice to be able to play against other beginners (mostly) like me. And I look forward to eventually playing against high-level players (mostly) when I get there myself.

Granted, sometimes there is some overlap. Sometimes I play against tier IV and III. But even then, the teams are still balanced. Whenever I see a tier IV on my opponents team, I always have seen a tier IV on my team too. So overall, matchmaking seems to work just fine. Yes, higher level player crush me.. And I die... often... So? I don't complain. I like the challenge. It encourages me to learn.

It seems to me that the problem is not matchmaking, but pool-size. Yes, you could always hard-code it to prevent any overlap between tiers 1,2 & 3,4. But then upper level players will likely have long wait times just to play a game.

And the tree system? I just see it as another challenge. As a new player, it doesn't discourage me to have limitations. Limitations are not necessarily bad; and they can help prevent breaking of a game with an OP meta. I was hoping, for example, I could pair assault warp with cloak on a certain ship... no go... ok, so I adjust my goals and move on. You work with you've got, to make the best of it.

By the way Kazma, I saw your name in KrazyFlyingChicken's tutorial video. You helped his team win the match.

-NO3

March 18, 2017, 8:02 p.m.

Updated //
March 20, 2017, 3:41 a.m.

I don't know. I'm a total noob to this game, so I am not aware of the history. But as the new guy, I can say I have been enjoying the tier and progression system thus far. Having come from other games without a tier system at all (like Titanfall 2), I am thankful it exists here. So I wouldn't say its garbage or scrap it. Perhaps it needs some refinement; perhaps it can be adjusted at higher levels (to reduce the grind). But as a new player, I can say that the lower levels seem fine. And it is nice to be able to play against other beginners (mostly) like me. And I look forward to eventually playing against high-level players (mostly) when I get there myself.

Granted, sometimes there is some overlap. Sometimes I play against tier IV and III. But even then, the teams are still balanced. So overall, matchmaking seems to work just fine (maybe I am missing something here?). Yes, higher level players crush me.. And I die... often... So? I don't complain. I like the challenge. It encourages me to learn.

Perhaps the problem is not matchmaking, but pool-size, no? Yes, you could always hard-code it to prevent any overlap between tiers 1,2 & 3,4. But then upper level players will likely have long wait times just to play a game.

And the tree system... I just see it as another challenge. As a new player, it doesn't discourage me to have limitations. I was hoping, for example, I could pair assault warp with cloak on a certain ship... no go... ok, so I adjust my goals and move on. You work with what you've got, to make the best of it.

But I totally agree that the grind is way too much at higher levels. That part of it looks like it can become very discouraging---having to spend weeks saving up just for one ship. And the maintenance penalty...definitely agree it should go.

Anyway, just some initial impressions of the game from the perspective of someone who is new to it.

By the way Kazma, I saw your name in KrazyFlyingChicken's tutorial video. You helped his team win the match.

-NO3

March 18, 2017, 10:53 p.m.

Updated //
March 18, 2017, 10:54 p.m.

obliviondoll#5677 posted (#post-114109)

There is only one thing left that I hate about progression 2.0

It still exists.
i was going to say "everything" but this works too, used to love the game, now i refuse to touch it while the progression system is the way it is, and im telling everyone i know to avoid the game too.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.