FORUMS

Spawning Issues with 8v8 matches

Posted: //
Nov. 28, 2016, 5:25 p.m.

I used to play Valcour before progression 2.0, and I found that the way ships entered the map worked out really well. With the new system and the addition of new ships, I've been noticing it doesn't always work quite as well as it used to. It's a specific issue though, so let me explain the circumstances.

I've been flying a Furia on recruit, and often find myself deliberately flanking the enemy fleet, or just generally not being apart of the usual eight ship death wall. Some matches I play, the two fleets stay clumped close together, and things proceed as expected, where I'll kill a ship, and they will usually spawn well away from combat and where I'm located, often out to the side.

However, on matches that are more scattered, where there are multiple areas of the map with active firefights, the spawning system can't seem to find a location to spawn a ship that is far enough out of the way to be fair. So there've been times where I've taken down a ship, ducked behind cover to avoid retaliation from the remainder of the fleet, and then I am blown out of the sky by that same ship spawning in behind me. It's hilarious, admittedly, but I feel like some maps are too small to really accommodate a scattered 8v8 battle.

I've specifically noticed this sort of thing on the two Ground maps. Saturn seems to be fine, but I haven't played it as much. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that 8v8 was designed for a new map and a new game mode, which is presumably well balanced for it. Our current map lineup just may not be able to handle it.

It's a minor issue, but it's genuinely annoying to get a perfect run in on the enemy, kill a few people, and then have your victims spawn in with refreshed cool downs and blow you up immediately after. It can also backfire too. Last time this happened, I had shot down an artillery cruiser, it respawned on top of me, and I bomb catapulted it. That's forcing the same player to respawn twice in the span of about twenty seconds.

Posted: //
Nov. 29, 2016, 3:34 a.m.

Updated //
Nov. 29, 2016, 3:35 a.m.

Kappa Base and Dry Dock were indeed built with 5v5 in mind, so was Rings of Saturn. Rings of Saturn also has more places for players to move to and its dimensions are quite a bit larger than the other two maps. At some point I hope to go in and make some changes to Kappa Base and Dry Dock to better accommodate 16 players. Future maps will be built specifically with 8 v 8 in mind.

Nathan "nwood" Wood
Senior Level Designer, YAGER

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.