FORUMS

Dev Talk #2: A Deep Dive into the Shipyard Update

Posted: //
Dec. 1, 2016, 8:15 a.m.

100% Agree - Who has time fighting the matchmaker and a cruddy progression, seems the DEVS aren't concentrating on making the game fun, now they seem to be laying the foundation to extract money from players.

nocakes#1992 posted (#post-73109)

"Building Your Fleet" MEGALUL
If only I can get a full packed vet fleet, cause I got real life to deal with.

Dec. 1, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

Ok, I think you devs are dead wrong. But I get the message. The message is this game is not for everyone, only those that like to play all classes. So your game is not for me.

"light reading?" Yes really light, so much that I consider it pure trash.

But hey!! GOOD THING THAT PLAYER RETENTION HAS IMPROVED!!!! SO I GUESS ALL THE THREADS ABOUT LONG QUEUE TIMES ARE JUST BECAUSE OF A BUG (ANOTHER???).

Anyway, I really really would like to forget about this. I know you were too nice to give me a close beta space but I don't want to be part of this anymore. It has become a sickly obsession. Please!!?? Could you please close my account, specially the one for the forum? Just let me know when is done by mail. Gosh, I hope that'll be enough to keep me from watching at least for a few months.

Dec. 1, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

Where did the fun go? Bring it back!

Dec. 1, 2016, 2:46 p.m.

So... If I understood well all of these stuffs from this Dev discussion...

I played this game on a wrong way. In pre-2.0, I liked to play with my heavy destro, TAC (Aion) and my favourite dreadnought ship. What I was hoping for to be able to have at least 2 variants of my Aion in my fleet for different situations, have a good destro with 2 different configurations to be able to adapt to the current battle.
And maybe a heavy, or a heavy healer...

Hmmm... looks like I was wrong... according to the Devs I MUST have one ship from each class.
Just because of “rock, paper, scissors” and/or because of "...serves to guide them toward assembling a diverse fleet they might not have put together otherwise..."

Thanks to opening my eyes!! I was totally wrong! I wanted to put together a fleet from ships which I enjoy to play with... ships where I like the playstyle (and most probably I could be a good player).
Thanks again, I understood now! I MUST play with ships which are not for me, I simply don't like them and I really don't want to learn to fly. I MUST grind through the snipers just to achieve the "right" (or "?gift?") to use heavy destro.

...And the explanations are “rock, paper, scissors” and "diverse fleets"...

Well... Why don't you give your players the "Freedom of Choice"?

I bet several "rocks" are playing the game... and several "papers"...
Some "scissors and rocks" also playing it... but very little number of “rock, paper, scissors”.
It's simple... you can't force everybody to be a healer / tank / flanker / sniper at the same time.
Everybody want to play with their favourite classes / favourite playstyles.

My conclusion : uninstall. Maybe I will check back later.

To the ones who compare this game to WoT :
I played WoT...for 5 years...and I enjoyed it. So I don't care about grinding, I don't care about any tier systems...
But in WoT you are never ever were forced to play with a "sniper" just to achieve a "medium".
Or you are never ever were forced to play with "light" to achive a "heavy".
You have the FREEDOM of CHOICE! So you can go grinding on a line/playtyle which you enjoy!

I really wish Good Luck for this game (!not an irony!), but at the moment I can't accept this vision, developement going in to the direction what I don't like. smile

Last words... Listen to your community... large amount of good ideas came up here in the forums since the Progression 2.0 came out. But this Dev Talk just tried to explain that everybody is wrong and we tried to play this game on a wrong way... and according to the devs it is our fault because we misunderstood the goal of this game :S

Dec. 1, 2016, 2:49 p.m.

well said MorGanN

Dec. 1, 2016, 4:53 p.m.

You know, it strikes me that if the devs found that people had a tendency to fill their pre 2.0 fleets with the same ship with different configurations, that may not have been an unwillingness to diversify but merely a response to the lack of ability to re-equip your vessel to counter various situations. So instead of forcing us to diversify with tech trees, which totally isn't going to work anyway, putting in the option to change modules/secondaries on your ship before respawn might have changed that behavior.

I suspect we have a situation where the devs attempted to treat the symptom rather than the cause.

Dec. 1, 2016, 4:59 p.m.

Ridiculon#3900 posted (#post-71424)

“Trying to get to the top tier is a behavior that totally makes sense for an RPG,” Mike continues: “In that kind of game, you’re trying to get your character all the way to the end and be as powerful as possible. This works when you have only one character. In Dreadnought, you don’t just have one character—you have multiple ships and even multiple fleets that play differently from each other. Successful players will take advantage of that, because without a proper fleet, you’re going to lose more often than not. If all you bring is Artillery Cruisers or Dreadnoughts, your chances of winning go down because you're not versatile enough. Your enemies will be able to switch to other classes that you won’t be able to counter. That’s the “rock, paper, scissors” part of the game.”

If this is truly how you want the game to work may I suggest something?
Currently there is no mechanical advantage associated with having a diverse fleet. This in turn makes it seem like your words and your actions are not in sync.
You can say things like

Successful players will take advantage of that, because without a proper fleet, you’re going to lose more often than not.

all you want, but that is a purely subjective view. I think most players are going to find that they like or dislike certain classes or specific ships and thus will not want to play them regardless of whether or not it increases their win ratio. If they don't want to play them then it follows that they will not want to spend credits (much less real currency) on them.

If you had a passive bonus, a "fleet bonus" or something, to mechanically reinforce your view of diverse fleets this would not be such a big discrepancy between thoughts and actions. If it were me I would give small bonuses depending on the number of specific classes included in the fleet.

Dreadnought: + % hull points per Dreadnought in Fleet
Destroyers: + % main weapon damage per Destroyer in Fleet
Tactical Cruisers: + % module cooldown per Tac cruiser in Fleet
Artillery Cruisier: + flat max range per Arty in Fleet
Corvette: + flat max speed per Corvette in Fleet

This system could be further refined with combos, different and additional bonuses depending on the numbers.
Something like: 2 Destroyers, 1 Artillery -> + flat lateral thruster power / turn speed (random example)
It took me all of 30 seconds of thought after reading your statements, collective dev/design team, to come up with a rough draft of a possible solution for the apparent dissonance between your stated intentions and your implemented "actions". This suggests to me that if you really intended for the game to work the way you have stated then it would work that way. Please stop being disingenuous with your communications. If you really mean what you have told us then you need to show that. Having been a tester/founder since alpha I have already given up on the game itself, it is far passed the point of being savable. At this point I'm only interested in watching the progress of this development process, and maybe trying to suggest something here and there.

--TLDR without an in game system to mechanically back up your goal of having each player build a fleet instead of play "their ship" you are just blowing hot air and hoping the playerbase will accept it as the new meta (also a personal rant at the end).

This seems like it would add a lot to the game in the way that you say you'd like the fleets to actually function. I'd love to see something like this added, it would give me a reason to actually go down some other trees of ships.

Dec. 1, 2016, 5:21 p.m.

For those curious. The refund process for my mercenary pack was quick and easy. Now i have 40 bucks to spend on other, more fun, games.

Dec. 1, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

Happy to hear you got your money back. Anyone that asks certainly deserves it at this point.

Alanna#6256 posted (#post-73590)

For those curious. The refund process for my mercenary pack was quick and easy. Now i have 40 bucks to spend on other, more fun, games.

Dec. 1, 2016, 6:08 p.m.

Alanna#6256 posted (#post-73590)

Unfortunately, it seems like it's the best what can be done now. That dev talk shows that 2.0 regression will stay, it's better to save the money until it's too late. Shame.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.