General Discussion

A Petition for Change

POSTED //
Dec 02, 2016 at 02:22 AM UTC 

Last Updated //
Feb 08, 2017 at 05:34 AM UTC

Dreadnought Community,

It is with heavy heart I seek signatures for this petition to change the game that we all are so interested in and desire to see released successfully. So here are our points of contention with reasoning and suggestions for change. We are all in agreement that with these changes the old players are highly likely to come back and give the game a second chance and new players will be very unlikely to bail quickly.

1. Maintenance needs to be revamped completely, we suggest that the maintenance fee for quitting a match be increased to the current legendary fleet cost and all other maintenance fee's removed.
    1a. Many people in the game are commonly the best player on their team, especially when solo queing. However with the increase in slots it is even more difficult for a good player to carry a team. We feel the current system places way too much confidence in teams ability to coordinate well with each other. It's also not fair to make everyone who is putting in the time to play and give feedback have to endure an excessive grind because of maintenance. Side note; it would be nice to have the functionality of being able to rejoin a match after crashing. We are eager to see this brought back soon.

2. Lack of true freedom in progression needs to become more free, we want a broader selection of classes at the Tier 1 level so we can run the ships we want to run.
    2a. An example: I love my rams, yet to get to the best ships for ramming I have to go through ships that I don't care for in the Oberon tree. Especially the Aions. Players should be able to go back and level up those ships and abilities at their own pace.

3. With maintenance in play the grind is unbearable to get the ships people want, cost should be reduced so that each next Tier costs no more than 300% (for example, overall community feedback provided here should determine the exact numbers) more of the cost of the previous one. Using the current Tier 1 costs as the baseline. So if a Tier 1 costs 164 the Tier 2 should not cost more than 492
    3a. We do not enjoy having to play an insane amount of matches WITH Elite to get to what we want. Especially with how much harder it can be to score high in a match with so many more enemy players to deal with.

These are our arguments for the changes we want, I speak for the signatories when I say they are the barebones items that are ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to continued interest in the game. Consider our list, for the future of the game is in the balance. Most of Dreadnought's most fervent and active players have already called it quits, and the health of a game can always be determined by how many original supporters and followers you are able to retain by the 1 year release anniversary. I fear more will continue to leave the game if change isn't announced very very soon. Your move.

Total Signatories: 73(#170)

Discord Moderator
"Once you reach level 49 your title should be Anax Below the Belt, obviously"
---Lord Griffin
CH- Sometimes at the beggining of a match I forget I still don't have my RAM's back TheBorg- Yeah I can imagine you giving orders to your crew "Engage RAMMING SPEED!" "We don't have any RAM's sir!" "I don't care, do it anyway!"

POSTED //
Dec 02, 2016 at 03:16 AM UTC 

So your okay with the power differences between the tiers?

POSTED //
Dec 02, 2016 at 08:04 AM UTC 

Cosmic_Force#6851 posted (#post-74095)

So your okay with the power differences between the tiers?

Yeah it makes sense as long as the way to get through the tiers isn't cumbersome like it is now.

Discord Moderator
---Lord Griffin
CH- Sometimes at the beggining of a match I forget I still don't have my RAM's back TheBorg- Yeah I can imagine you giving orders to your crew "Engage RAMMING SPEED!" "We don't have any RAM's sir!" "I don't care, do it anyway!"

POSTED //
Dec 02, 2016 at 08:51 AM UTC 

More ships in T1/T2 -> Yes! If we can have a full recruit fleet of mixed tiers in a single manufacturer, I think it will help show players about the breadth of loadouts that exists in the game.

Maint costs are already being lowered, but I think we should turn to look at how in match performance has a massive effect on your income. This income disparity should be significantly smaller IMO:

-Most older players here do not think much of it (besides thedeath because he exploits it marvelously) but it is an important topic to me. I believe that the duration of a match should have equal or greater importance than whatever is currently being measured in terms of performance inside of a match.

-Similarly, missions feel somewhat dated. Their rewards were great when we earned +100/200 a match, but it's a pittance nowadays.

If you think my views are close enough to your own, then you can count me in. Just know that I won't have a heavy heart smile

POSTED //
Dec 02, 2016 at 08:53 AM UTC 

Last Updated //
Dec 02, 2016 at 08:55 AM UTC

Hello people, after this came to my attention, i would like to add my thoughts.

As a veteran player, I have made posts about the state of the game in previous patches. After finding that much of the improvements were lacking, and after seeing the direction of the game not taking the path i imagined, i have since become discouraged to play. Personally, I find that the game is in the most restrictive and most under rewarding state it has ever been. Given that i have already made it to the end of the tech tree in the previous build, i was disappointed to find nothing new or interesting enough to justify the grind again.

While i think the Tier system was a direct, and inarguable step backwards, i understand how much work went into it, and why the Devs may be reluctant to scrap it. I think it is in all of our best interests to focus on fixing an obviously broken, and specifically not fun system. Personally, i would like to see maintenance vanish entirely. However upon further consideration for it to be reworked as an anti-leaver system, exclusively, i would be comfortable with it.

We can fix this, and i say "we" being the community. As we are the ones that play the developing product, we are in a unique position to discover how the game is progressing. We have seen in the past that the Devs listen to criticism, all be it in a lurking fashion with very little feedback. We should support this, as i personally would love to play this game, and i would love to interact with the Devs in-game. But currently, i just cant justify it. The downsides, outweigh the upsides, greatly.

Ultimately, I Agree with OP. Changes to the above OP, among others that i personally desire, such as legitimately new content like a map, or additional primaries and modules that i can easily unlock and play with, would be what it takes to bring me back. 8v8 was the best, and only step in the correct direction, all because it was "something new".

On a simple side note, I have argued from the start of my dreadnought account, the grind system should be removed for the purposes of testing the system, until release. As such, i would code the game where a module in "testing builds" to cost around 10fp, with the knowledge that on true release this is bumped to 100fp. Honestly, it is better to have people progress quicker to the cap, than slower when in testing. Agreed with OP, your move.

POSTED //
Dec 02, 2016 at 11:11 AM UTC 

Change to be needed, yes. And so far this guy put the best proposal. Hope he will be heard as it's giving lots of good things and he explain in a proper and civilise (and even design) english

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/30780/?page=3#post-71653

Best proposal to put 2.0 in the right way. Please hear this guy dev smile
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/30780/?page=3#post-71653

POSTED //
Dec 02, 2016 at 11:37 PM UTC 

As a rather long member of the community which had a vested interest in the prospering of this game I support the changes put forth by Corran.

Change is necessary and desired. On a personal note I'd like to emphasize one of the aforementioned points explicitly, namely the one on ship diversity in the beginning. If the experience is truly about building a fleet rather than multiple variants of one ship, give us the variety we need for this.

POSTED //
Dec 03, 2016 at 02:32 AM UTC 

Haven't played in awhile, but if Corran's suggestions were implemented, I would consider coming back.

POSTED //
Dec 03, 2016 at 03:31 AM UTC 

This is a good list of core issues that I have seen mentioned by almost everyone who has played the game (that I have spoken with) since the new progression was released.

POSTED //
Dec 04, 2016 at 06:17 AM UTC 

Last Updated //
Dec 04, 2016 at 06:19 AM UTC

Kibitt#9987 posted (#post-74696)

More ships in T1/T2 -> Yes! If we can have a full recruit fleet of mixed tiers in a single manufacturer, I think it will help show players about the breadth of loadouts that exists in the game.

Maint costs are already being lowered, but I think we should turn to look at how in match performance has a massive effect on your income. This income disparity should be significantly smaller IMO:

-Most older players here do not think much of it (besides thedeath because he exploits it marvelously) but it is an important topic to me. I believe that the duration of a match should have equal or greater importance than whatever is currently being measured in terms of performance inside of a match.

-Similarly, missions feel somewhat dated. Their rewards were great when we earned +100/200 a match, but it's a pittance nowadays.

If you think my views are close enough to your own, then you can count me in. Just know that I won't have a heavy heart smile

I appreciate your support Kibbit! Thanks for helping me make Dreadnought great again!

Discord Moderator
---Lord Griffin