FORUMS

Why some sources claim this game to be MOBA?

Posted: //
Dec. 11, 2016, 9:48 a.m.

Just curious, why some sources claim this game to be MOBA? I don't see any MOBA elements here, and I don't mind it to be just a TDM. But, like I said, I'm just curious. Are developers planning to make a MOBA-like mode for the game?

Dec. 11, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

Those sources are wrong obviously. Maybe you can link where you saw this?

Best proposal to put 2.0 in the right way. Please hear this guy dev https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/30780/?page=3#post-71653

Dec. 11, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 11, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

Here is an example: https://youtu.be/gofNmGspLSU?t=114. Look at the video's title.

Dec. 11, 2016, 11:26 a.m.

It actually is a MOBA.

You have Damagedealers, Tanks and Healers, it used to be 5v5, the maps are all separated into roughly three working venues of attack.

In fact, this game has a high potential as a MOBA, right now it's been butchered in that regard sadly...

Dec. 11, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

Well, I see this potential too, and I don't think the game should become MOBA-only. I mean, this game could have a very interesting MOBA-like mode in addition to TDM. A MOBA mode without "growing in power" mechanic, which still would be interesting to play because of objectives players have to complete in order to win.

Dec. 11, 2016, 12:19 p.m.

You know, MOBA = Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, so this fits nearly all games that feature some kind of pvp, although most people just use it for games like DOTA etc.

Recruit Engineer

Dec. 11, 2016, 2:02 p.m.

Updated //
Dec. 11, 2016, 2:04 p.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-77093)

You know, MOBA = Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, so this fits nearly all games that feature some kind of pvp, although most people just use it for games like DOTA etc.

Yeah, I believe people used to think MOBA = DOTA nowadays. And the video above shows Dreadnought together with games like Paragon. Also, I've seen some articles ala "top 10 MOBA games" full of DOTA-like games and Dreadnought listed as well (can't recall where exactly though). But maybe the authors consider MOBA as Multiplayer Online Battle Arena in the most wide meaning possible.

Dec. 11, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

some people think it's a MOBA because it actually is. It doesn't have the DOTA farming elements that drag other MOBA match times past 1/2 an hour, but it's got the healers, tanks, and damage carries.

-Citizen Soldier -"Do not bring forth an argument that can be disproved with a 10 minute google search."

Dec. 11, 2016, 8:21 p.m.

Lincrono#9039 posted (#post-77132)

some people think it's a MOBA because it actually is. It doesn't have the DOTA farming elements that drag other MOBA match times past 1/2 an hour, but it's got the healers, tanks, and damage carries.

TIL Team Fortress is a MOBA.

The term "MOBA", based on what the acronym actually means, is completely worthless as a descriptive term for a game. As a genre definition, it was created to describe the games that had previously been called "DOTA-like" by someone who didn't want to advertise another game in their marketing campaign. It's basically the same as how the term "FPS" showed up so people didn't have to call their games "Doom clones" back in the day. Except that "FPS" actually makes sense as a descriptive term.

There is a solid argument that a game has to have the AI minion waves and lane-based "traditional" MOBA gameplay in order to be a MOBA. The term is used differently by different people though, and many will call any class-based game a MOBA, or any game which has classes and PvP-focused multiplayer, but which doesn't fit some other definition as well.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Dec. 13, 2016, 12:31 a.m.

We do in fact have a term for the exact genre that DotA, League, etc. fit into, and it's "AoS" for "Aeon of Strife [-style game]". The term's been around since around 2003, and before 2010 it's the only name anyone ever called the genre. It got dropped from marketing around the time WC3 died (circa 2011) because nobody knew what an AoS was anymore, and in any case there were superior AoSs still available in WC3, so the standalones had to go find their own audience.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.