FORUMS

Missiles, Missiles, Torpedos, and missile type things

Posted: //
Dec. 18, 2016, 6:23 p.m.

This game sure has a lot of different types of missiles - and I like that!

I wanted to ask if I have the basic understanding of how the missile systems work and what makes them different. Here's the ones I've found so far.

1) Flechette - close range missile 'volleys', fires in an overhead arc, their time to deploy is somewhat long for close range damage is somewhat light per missile but can add up - not a huge damage dealer otherwise

2) Tempest - longer range missiles, arc is overhead I think? , faster deploy time and medium damage but range and firing arc should be considered as its easy to lose your volley into terrain - deals moderate damage

3) Torpedoes - shorter range, tracking, relatively direct fire arc requires some clearance - deals somewhat higher damage and deploys relatively quickly

4) Vulture - longer range, steep overhead arc, takes a little bit of time to deploy and provides somewhat higher damage.

5) _____ Nuke - targets the spot your target is at and detonates a nuke either using a torpedo style firing arc or a missile style

6) Bomb Launcher - I legitimately don't know and can't figure out how to use this to hit anything x_x

Any input is welcome. Please correct me on anything I got wrong or missed smile

Dec. 19, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 19, 2016, 10:43 a.m.

Personally, I hate rocket-like missiles in almost all of their forms in this game for one rather simple reason: they are just far too slow.
Slow both in terms of real-life missiles (which range from 800 to 1700 m\s for air-to-air rockets, compared to in-game 100-200 m\s) and in terms of common sense and normal human reaction speed.
I don't know why they decided to do that - probably for the sake of balance.

Only 2 rockets I found somewhat usefull - stasis torpedo, since it's relatively fast, straightforward and, therefore, pretty hard to miss, and the effect is really strong. You can use it both offensively and defensively (pretty much the go-to panic button vs corvettes).
The second being the Goliath torpedo - it also has straightforward trajectory (as a torpedo), and even if you missed the direct hit, you still can blow it up manually and the AoE will get them anyways.

P.S.
Bomb Launchers follow steep parabolic trajectory - as if it in fact being launched by catapult. Which make no sense at Jupiter's moons - "g" doesn't extend 0.15 even on largets moon Ganymede (Dry Dock map) as well as in open space.
In order to hit something with it you have to make sure there's no vertical obstacles o the way (like the ones at Ring of Saturn map).
It also spreads alot. So Don't be tempted by the damage numbers listed in description - you'll hit 2 bombs at best.

"Hang in there!" (™)

March 31, 2017, 6:42 p.m.

Use the bomb catapult as a shotgun, its best at close to medium range.

In the immortal words of Socrates: "I drank... What?"

May 9, 2017, 10:57 a.m.

how do you make missiles track their target, i get the lock on message and the missiles go green and fire but the missiles fly to where the target was and miss meaning i've wasted a volley. i have noticed that enemy missiles track to hit me even if i move away so how do i get them to track my target?

Oct. 14, 2018, 11:55 p.m.

Just got my hands on a nuke for the first time!

The guy who can explode anything!

Oct. 15, 2018, 3:35 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 15, 2018, 3:54 a.m.

You forgot one. The bread and butter of every good pure DPS missile boat.

Storm Missiles!

Yeah, I know, but the range, right? Yes this is true, you have to be up close and personal.

But they have a short overhead arc and they hit HARD. Just look at the stats, at tier IV they can hit a single individual has hard as a nuke! I have watched unshielded Destroyers and Tac Cruisers crumple under a single volley of storms.

If you go pure DPS they make a good pairing with Flechettes. You can pick your target, fire the Flechettes to see if they have anything "Anti-Missle" related then close in and fire the storms when you know its on cooldown.

Or you can just get in close and do a full on Alpha-Strike with both. Believe me, there are few things ingame that will make your pucker factor go up more then watching a big cloud of angry red dots coming at you.

Vultures can be good with Dreads. They have a big arc and some nice range. If you time it right, they can give an extra punch when paired with a nuke. And if you are really good at timing you can use the purge nuke (Tartarus Missile). Pick a target, fire the purge nuke, wait a second, then fire the Vultures. In theory, the tartarus will take down the shields, reset the targets modules and leave it undefended for the vultures.

Goliath torpedos. Be careful with those suckers. If your target is too close or if you fire it at the wrong time (like if you are sitting right next to a building or inside a rock arch) and that thing goes off, you will be caught in the blast. I know, been there done that...doh lol.

If you really want to have fun with Goliath torpedoes do a YouTube search for "Nukes 'R' Us!". A very entertaining individual here named "RandyMaBob" has a great video on how to do it. He shows how, with the proper timing, the right officer briefings and module reboot you can fire 4 of those things in short order. Alot of fun but very dangerous. You may make it work. Or you might blow yourself up in your own blasts (or get destroyed by the enemy trying to make it work).

His vids can teach you alot. Or get you destroyed alot. lol

I hope this helps.

Have Fun Out there!

description

Oct. 15, 2018, 4:57 a.m.

Bear in mind that while Vultures might sound tempting with their range and damage, they are also glacially slow. Anyone you aim at has an absolute age to evade them any way they see fit. Usually by hiding behind the nearest mountain.

Nov. 17, 2018, 5:36 p.m.

I've been having a lot of fun with Flechettes and missile repeaters. Many people never watch WHO is firing the missiles or even care to pay attention so they often think the repeaters are just some drain or stasis missiles and let them come.

Then they get right up on you and its like "Surprise! theres actually 16 of us!" not quite as much damage as storms with a 4800 alpha difference, but you've got 3k more range and people don't usually blow anti missiles on them.

alt text

DN_cult#1584 posted (#post-101857) Currently in discussion / design: · ̶W̶a̶i̶f̶u̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s

Nov. 17, 2018, 5:57 p.m.

Never been a big fan of the flechettes. Storms I admit I need more practice on. The cooldown is what deterred them from me but now that I have Retaliator they could be a lot better.

Nov. 17, 2018, 7:30 p.m.

I've been trying to play with Mine Catapult. Its awful becasue even if you position just right and let the mines loose they always deploy maybe 4-5 ships above the highest altitutde target.

I tried targetting a tac that was hugging the ground and it placed the mines above the dreadnought who was probably 10+ ship lengths above it.

Mines auto deploy function is aids.

alt text

DN_cult#1584 posted (#post-101857) Currently in discussion / design: · ̶W̶a̶i̶f̶u̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.