FORUMS

Dola weak?

Posted: //
Dec. 20, 2016, 6:22 p.m.

So I thought I had decided to go down the Gora line, I already had the Otronto so coming from that to the Dola I feel useless. The primary fire is considerably weaker, it may have more health but dies faster due to tu.rd slow speed. I dont know what I am doing in this game anymore, I am looking for something that is actually fun to play that deals good damage and isnt going to get wrecked. I hate corvettes and arty.

Dec. 20, 2016, 6:42 p.m.

The Otranto and its higher ships are what you are looking for, but in the other topic you already wrote that you think it deals not enough damage. So there will probably no ship you like. The Dola has actually more damage than the Otranto, but needs to be rather close for this.

Short range the Corvs are DPS kings, no ship deals even close amounts to what they deal at 0-1200m, mid range is Destroyer and Arty land, while Artys also win at long range.

Highest DPS Destroyer is the Dola for T3 and Blud for T4, although the Blud has less projectile spread so you can use it at greater ranges.

Arties deal less max damage than Corvs, the medium Artillery has roughly the same DPS as the medium Destroyer (Otranto), while the heavy is similar to the Dola/Blud, but its T3 version is bugged and deals only 50% of the damage it should deal.

Dreadnoughts are rather low dps, you can solve this partially via the heavy flaks at T4, but those have a max range of 1200m, their primary guns are weaker than those of the Destroyers, the Repeater Secondarys are close to the Otranto/Vigo damage. So most of their damage comes from modules and their hp, they do not need to disengage as fast as the other ships.

Recruit Engineer

Dec. 20, 2016, 6:50 p.m.

The thing is, how am i supposed to get into short range with the Dola? It is so slow I die before i get short range so I try to stay at mid range and deal no damage. I like the otronto (sort of) but was told the Gora has the highest damage as a destroyer in tier 5

Dec. 20, 2016, 6:55 p.m.

Also as for the Gora, I feel like the ram is wasted on it. It does not have the speed to fully utilize it.

Dec. 20, 2016, 7 p.m.

Actually i'm not sure Corvettes have the best DPS, given the numerous reload times (and the fact you have to evade once reloading).
They have the best primary's burst damage, for sure.

Destroyers and some dreads (oberons) with their big clips are probably flattening the damage curve.

There is also the fact that the potential module burst or dps is significative from a class to another. (See the dread scattergun broadside dps for example).
Isn't the JupArm dread primary bugged at the moment ? Like halving damages ?
I've been told the mortar turrets are pretty awesome too (didn't get there yet).

Speed can be gained by judicious uses of energy gauge and slow timer warping.

Of course there isn't a ship that is very good at everything...

For what i'm seeing, EXCLUDING modules/secondaries (there are some against two or three classes in each class), each ship class is meant to be effective against one other class, and itself; destroyers are the less pronounced counters of all and slightly better against everything (technically they seem to be geared against tacs).
Dreads are destroyer counters and fare well against other dreads.

Dec. 20, 2016, 7:07 p.m.

I think ive decided to go for the Brutus for destroyer and Zmey for dread

Dec. 20, 2016, 7:08 p.m.

The Cush#3677 posted (#post-81048)

The thing is, how am i supposed to get into short range with the Dola? It is so slow I die before i get short range so I try to stay at mid range and deal no damage. I like the otronto (sort of) but was told the Gora has the highest damage as a destroyer in tier 5

Wait until a Dread has the attention then advance, having a tactical at your back helps too. But yes, you already found one of the balancing points for the ship, it is slow. The T4 version is a lot easier to use, as the gun spread is lower and you can with good aim hit ships above 2km.

The Cush#3677 posted (#post-81051)

Also as for the Gora, I feel like the ram is wasted on it. It does not have the speed to fully utilize it.

Correct, hard to use with the Gora, best used on the Vindicta. Can still get used by the Otranto/Vigo, but really shines with Thrust Amplifier (T4) and the Engine Rigger Briefing (T4).

Theobald#3611 posted (#post-81053)

Actually i'm not sure Corvettes have the best DPS, given the numerous reload times (and the fact you have to evade once reloading).
They have the best primary's burst damage, for sure.

Just stating values for sitting beside a target and shooting, if the Corvette has to disengage it has no damage, thats right. Regarding reloads, I used them for my calculations. And of course Corvettes shine only at 0-1200m, above this their primary gun damage drops to 30%.

Destroyers and some dreads (oberons) with their big clips are probably flattening the damage curve.

There is also the fact that the potential module burst or dps is significative from a class to another. (See the dread scattergun broadside dps for example).

Scatterguns are rather DPS, Plasmas are Burst.

Isn't the JupArm dread primary bugged at the moment ? Like halving damages ?

Yep.

I've been told the mortar turrets are pretty awesome too (didn't get there yet).

Limited to T5, 4.25k dmg, ~3/4s reload, one shot.

Speed can be gained by judicious uses of energy gauge and slow timer warping.

Ships get slower with each tier, a medium T3 Dread is a lot faster than a light T4 Dread.

For what i'm seeing, EXCLUDING modules/secondaries (there are some against two or three classes in each class), each ship class is meant to be effective against one other class, and itself; destroyers are the less pronounced counters of all and slightly better against everything (technically they seem to be geared against tacs).

Yup.

Dreads are destroyer counters and fare well against other dreads.

Aye.

Recruit Engineer

Dec. 20, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

Yes i know everything gets slower, i was proposing to Cush to use warp mod on his Dola to close in, negating his closing-in problem. ^^
I was citing the scatterguns as dps. I'm still not sure about the intended difference between plasma- and canon- broadsides appart the shared spike damage. I like them a lot on a warping oberron dread.

I'm still not sure about what's making destroyers tac killers, appart their clip large enough to finish one (corvettes having problems with that). Heavy missiles/torpedoes use ?

How much damage does the howitzer make ? Quick projectile ? This one appeals to my dakkaness a lot.

Dec. 20, 2016, 8:15 p.m.

Theobald#3611 posted (#post-81065)

Yes i know everything gets slower, i was proposing to Cush to use warp mod on his Dola to close in, negating his closing-in problem. ^^
I was citing the scatterguns as dps. I'm still not sure about the intended difference between plasma- and canon- broadsides appart the shared spike damage. I like them a lot on a warping oberron dread.

The Scattergun Broadside deals roughly half of the damage of the Plasma Broadside, but has only one third of the cd.

I'm still not sure about what's making destroyers tac killers, appart their clip large enough to finish one (corvettes having problems with that). Heavy missiles/torpedoes use ?

Many missiles and very strong single target modules able to "one-shot" Tacs combined with a lot of disables and enough sustained firepower, even at longer ranges, to keep them under pressure.

How much damage does the howitzer make ? Quick projectile ? This one appeals to my dakkaness a lot.

Howitzer?

Recruit Engineer

Dec. 20, 2016, 8:34 p.m.

I meant between the kinetic broadside and the plasma broadside - the reload, damage and range seem in the same gameplay reach. Scatterguns are nearly melee weapons and reload very quickly, so, dps and clear gameplay. But the other two i'm still experimenting.

And by howitzers i meant mortar turrets.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.