FORUMS

Game Balancing: Entrenching and Healing abilities

Posted: //
May 1, 2016, 4:54 p.m.

Updated //
May 1, 2016, 4:56 p.m.

ManiaCCC#0403 posted (#post-25774)

Honestly, these problems are not balancing issue as much as it is map/mode design problem.

I am playing mechwarrior online for too long to not notice pattern here. Nerfing support ships is not really good angle to that. In fact, it is good that dreadnought or destroyer can maintains defensive position when he is properly supported. This alone is awesome. Problem is, as you pointed out, game become boring, when it is just peak out, shoot, fly back fest. Maps are full of choke points yet these are very small and without any objective, if team will hold good defensive position while other ships will cover the flank, there is nothing what other team can do, without proper communication (and we know in PUG games, there will be never proper communication), so they can just adapt and keep doing the same.

If map will be static as are now, matches will become very boring very fast and what we call now just some boring matches, it will become meta and solo players, who want have some fun and action will die over and over and over again.

So what is the solution? I think it is to introduce dynamic or even asymmetric modes and maps. Where objectives can shift or there will be more objectives to fight for. Something where map control actually means something. I really hope they have better modes planned than just these two.

I was thinking since some of the ships have missile silos is to allow them to target an area properly instead of a ship, this mean an entrenched position will get showered with them but the missiles will cover more of the area and less concentrated on a single target so the damage is watered down. But this should have the effect of making the entrenched opponents rethink about staying in same position under fire.

To sum it up, allowing some sort of indirect fire saturation as a way to combat entrenched/camping opponents.

May 1, 2016, 8:01 p.m.

I see this as a valid strategy but one that can be countered pretty easily with a coordinated push by the destroyers and dreadnaughts with a corvette or two pushing in to kill the healer.

May 1, 2016, 8:56 p.m.

Vallard#1528 posted (#post-27651)

I don't understand why tac cruisers can fire indefinitely. Adding downtime to the heal would fix almost everything about this. Either a reload or heat mechanic would suffice and go a long way towards overall balance.

Probably better than my solution.

Also, someone mentioned healing beams should not stack as high as it currently does between multiple Tac Cruisers. Failing any other suggestions, I would really like to see this one implemented.

May 1, 2016, 10:24 p.m.

Updated //
May 1, 2016, 10:25 p.m.

this game need objectives.... right now its about who has the bigger and better death ball and not very fun... or more mechanics to discourage people palling up in one big cubby hole...maps need to be a little bigger

May 1, 2016, 10:36 p.m.

So I REALLY like the idea of objectives in this game.

Speaking to the current situation, I have been part of and victim of a successful push on an entrenched enemy. Each pushed involved the dreadnoughts getting up really high and shooting down while advancing so the entrenched enemy had no cover to hide behind and the destroyers either flanked quickly or joined the dreadnoughts. Ofc the pushing team had a healer as well. After an entrenched team gets burst they rarely regroup completely, unless they have coordination through Teamspeak etc.

May 1, 2016, 11:27 p.m.

Take it with a grain of salt but i was talking with a level designer in twitch chat a couple days ago who said they were working on a objective game mode, didn't give much in the way of details so no idea what the objective is but (i think) he said it will not be a conquest game mode.
Has for the healing problem why don't we give it some time, the game has been in closed beta for less then a week. I say we just give players some time to come up with a counter, maybe there is some mid/high level upgrade or combination of upgrades that make it really easy to break a defensive team.

May 1, 2016, 11:52 p.m.

Updated //
May 1, 2016, 11:55 p.m.

Devs, do you have any feedback at all on this? Any data would be appreciated.

I know at least one of you has seen this thread. Plenty have been voicing thought on this so far.

May 2, 2016, 12:20 a.m.

Updated //
May 2, 2016, 12:22 a.m.

YEP the team with the strongest long range load out with a healer in a death ball focuses fire wins about %90 of the time

have a brawler? fail

May 2, 2016, 7:45 a.m.

Updated //
May 2, 2016, 7:45 a.m.

cronic#0960 posted (#post-28258)

YEP the team with the strongest long range load out with a healer in a death ball focuses fire wins about %90 of the time

have a brawler? fail

Funny i have no problems going into an enemy team of 3 dreads and 2 kosh's in a single dread and taking out both healers smile

Brawling is actually one of the best ways to break dual healing combos for some reason people don't understand that all you need to do to kill some one being healed is to block their healer's beams.

Turtles effectively do to them selves what your teams vettes and sniper should and that's pin them down and limit their maneuverability which means that any one with half a brain cell supported by a healer with 2 braincells can and should go in and clean them up.

Don't get mad - git gud.

May 2, 2016, 7:55 a.m.

Lulz ... you have to know all the calsses and skills ... no class is op in my opinion at this time.
sometimes you need assistance, if you play random vs a team you lost.

• Most ppl dont use Brain.

Use shift + Enter for Team chat and Aktivate Brain boost. smile

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.